UniTrunker setup stumbling block

Status
Not open for further replies.

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to set up SDR#, DSD+ and UniTrunker by following the instructions here https://sites.google.com/site/policescannerhowto/
I seem to have the Signal Receiver configured OK.
I have gotten to the point of configuring the control receiver (RTL2832U+R820T dongle).This step:
"Set the Model to “Debug”, and select all three control protocols: P25, ProVoice, and VSELP."
I go to "Create a new receiver and select "Control". In the drop down menu there are a bunch of scanner hardware models listed (Uniden, Icomm etc) but I'm not seeing "Debug" That's as far as I get.
As a side note, When I hit the + in the receivers panel and the "Create a new receiver" dialog box comes up, there are the options "Signal" "Control" "Both" "Inline" and Debug".
As an experiment I tried selecting "Debug" because in the guide I am following, the example dialog box is titled (at the very top) "Receiver Debug" I seem to be able to configure it there as described but when I "go to the main UniTrunker options screen, click the Enable checkbox in the Listen section. There should now be two receivers listed under the Receivers tab. One control and one signal. Select each and press the play button." as it says to do, there is only one listed, not two. Any help getting this configured or any other pointers gettinging this set up would be much appreciated. My main goal here is monitoring a Provoice trunked system.

SCPD

QRT
coyote;

That how-to article is out of date. Also, it sounds like you are using an older version of the program.

What receivers do you have?

What system(s) do you want to monitor?

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
coyote;

That how-to article is out of date. Also, it sounds like you are using an older version of the program.

What receivers do you have?

What system(s) do you want to monitor?
Hi. Thank you for the reply. This is the trouble. There is an ocean of obsolete info to sift through. Anyhow my Unitrunker version appears to be 1.0.30.10
I'm pretty sure I downloaded it from Index of /download only a couple of weeks ago.
My receivers are two RTL2832U+R820T
I have SDR# Version 1333 and DSD+ rev 1.051
Windows 8.1 64bit
My main goal is to monitor the system here E-Comm (WARS) Trunking System, Vancouver, British Columbia - Scanner Frequencies which is Provoice but there are others too. I understand systems can be imported directly from the RadioReference database into UniTrunker. Yes I have a paid membership to RR. I would like to figure that out too. Any help would be very much appreciated as I am very keen to get this running.

Last edited:

Boatanchor

Great program Unitrunker.

A question though, if you don't mind..

I noticed that Airspy is supported in the latest version of Unitrunker.

Is there any way to take advantage of Airspy's 9Mhz wide bandwidth to use the single SDR front end for both trunking and voice following?

If not, I thought there was an option for Unitrunker to use a single front end for trunk tracking.. But I may be wrong. I can't find the original documentation for that mode now.

I thought UT monitored the control channel, then switched across to a nominated voice channel and then reverted back to the control channel after the call ended. (I'm talking about P25 phase 1 here).

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber

I'm trying to work with this guide but still is not going as described. I've gotten to step ten and hit a dead end.When I enter the fields as instructed and hit play, nothing happens. I have tried all the suggestions on what to do if the window does not pop up. The two things I am not sure about is making sure I am configuring the correct R820T (I've tried both so fairly certain on that) and that ppm correction is right. Is there a way to determine this in the UT interface? I am using the ppm correction values I have calibrated and work in SDR#. I'm pretty sure I have a good control frequency for my target system. What am I overlooking here? Is it something else? This is what I've done

Attachments

• UT sample.jpg
    UT sample.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,289

SCPD

QRT
Hi Boatanchor;

You're talking about the latest preview - not the latest official release.

AirSpy support with at least two VCOs is under development.

SCPD

QRT
Hi Coyote!

Your screenshot (thanks for that) shows SDR# running in the background. RTL sticks can't be shared. You will need to shut down SDR# (or point it to a different device).

The "Run" field should say running. Also, the 'Scope tab should display an animated waveform.

The PPM values that you used on SDR# should work fine.

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
Hi Coyote!

Your screenshot (thanks for that) shows SDR# running in the background. RTL sticks can't be shared. You will need to shut down SDR# (or point it to a different device).

The "Run" field should say running. Also, the 'Scope tab should display an animated waveform.

The PPM values that you used on SDR# should work fine.

OK That makes sense. I did that and had it running. I unmuted and got an audio as well as a scope display but still no frequencies in use window. I closed the Add New Receiver widow to move on but now it stopped and can't get it going again. Tried reconfiguring from scratch but just reads as stopped.

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
EDIT to above. I have since seen the "frequencies in use" window come up. I configured the voice receiver and it seems to but running but the control receiver is not. I'm getting consistent static audio. I've tried fiddling with the gain and squelch but nothing changes there. In the voice receiver settings checking deemphasis kills the static. The trouble seems to be my control receiver is stopped. Hitting play does nothing. I have imported the system I want to monitor.

SCPD

QRT
Get the signal role receiver working first. The voice receiver will stay parked otherwise.

Make sure the two receivers use different RTL sticks. Double-check that some other program has not claimed the other RTL stick.

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
Get the signal role receiver working first. The voice receiver will stay parked otherwise.

Make sure the two receivers use different RTL sticks. Double-check that some other program has not claimed the other RTL stick.

This seems to be the trouble. I can not get the signal receiver to stay running. The "Frequencies in use" window seems to register every few minutes but the receiver maintains a status of stopped. I have shut down anything the could use the stick and for both signal and voice configure windows, I have made sure RTL device is set the the two different sticks I have installed. Thank you for helping me with this, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• UT signal.jpg
    UT signal.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,289

Boatanchor

Hi Boatanchor;

You're talking about the latest preview - not the latest official release.

AirSpy support with at least two VCOs is under development.

Awesome!!!

Checks to make sure no one is watching and then dances a little jig around the shack.. :)

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
Another point I have noticed is, on the Receivers page where the two receivers should be listed I only see the signal one. In the individual receiver configure window, they both appear to be running.

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
How so? You may want to post another screen shot.
I shut down the program then reopened it. There were then several receivers listed. Previous configuration attempts I guess. I deleted the ones showing as stopped. I then selected the two that showed as running, one signal, one voice stopped them then hit play again. Immediately the Frequencies in use window came up and started logging.
Both receivers are consistently running now but the only audio is solid static. Toggling either the mute or deemphasize kills the audio. I have fiddled with squelch but that does not seem to accomplish anything.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I'm also attempting to follow these instructions. I have the control side of unitrunker working but I can't get the voice receiver working. Is it correct to park the voice receiver at 0.000 ?

My system is P25 phase I so on the voice receiver I'm piping audio a VB cable under the digital output selection. Is this correct? I have confirmed all my audio settings and DSD plus works when testing with SDR#. I'm getting no audio output. If I change the voice receiver to the audio output I get static.:confused:

I tried to upload a screen shot but it didn't work. One of those nights.

BM82557

For your voice receiver you don't have anything specified. You need to use VB-Audio Virtual Cable or VAC to connect to DSDPlus. DSDPlus will decode the digital audio. In DSDPlus you specify the type of the system -

Decoder options:
-P Invert signal polarity (may be required for X2-TDMA and dPMR)
-mp optimize for PSK modulation (will not decode non-PSK)

-fa Auto-detect all protocols / frame types except dPMR [-fa]
-fd Decode D-STAR (no audio)
-fn Decode NXDN4800 (Kenwood NEXEDGE and Icom IDAS)
-fN Decode NXDN9600 (Kenwood NEXEDGE)
-fr Decode DMR/MotoTRBO (TDMA inputs + both output slots)
-f1 Decode P25 Phase 1
-fx Decode X2-TDMA
-fp Decode ProVoice
-fm Enable dPMR decoding (no audio)

-1 Synthesize audio for first DMR timeslot
-2 Synthesize audio for second DMR timeslot

Status
Not open for further replies.