NJ Transit PD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now listening to NJ Transit PD on the NJSP Trunked 800MHz - TG 59623 (Patrol North).

Much talk today about units visiting radio repair and adding "channel 2."

Units were advised to switch to channel 2 for testing, but I was unable to find by searching TGs on the 800MHz system.

Ideas anyone?

Also, does anyone have the unit numbering scheme for NJ Transit PD?

Thanks.

Analogrules

I have been hearing more traffic on their older channel, 160.830, lately. They tend to use that frequency when they want to keep the train conductors in the loop I believe. Don't ever dismiss their old frequencies.....they still use them quite often. I was very upset when some moron on here submitted incorrect information to the db, calling them deprecated. I had to re-submit the correction. There are plenty of "dead spots" also where the old conventional channels work better.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I haven't seen this posted before. This is a good reference for anyone who monitors the Transit PD.

Attachments

• njtpolice_district_map.jpg
    njtpolice_district_map.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,011

AlexC

Database Admin
The units starting with a 3 are out of Hoboken Terminal. The letters are the shift the unit is working. So 3B20 is the station commander on the 2nd shift out of Hoboken I believe.

I'm monitoring NJTPD North Patrol channels 1 & 2 using a 396XT via a rebroadcast on an NJSP 800 MHz talk group.

Hearing what sounds like mobile flutter whenever "Central" transmits.

Any ideas on what this could be?

It happens to mobile units less frequently than it does to "Central."

Have not heard NJ Transit PD at all today on TGs 59632, 59664, nor 60016 on the NJSP 800 MHz via a rebroadcast of their 700 MHz NJICS system.

Did they take the cross patch between 700 & 800 MHz out?

AlexC

Database Admin
There is no patch. It is SmartX between the NJSP system and the P25 system. There has to be a radio affiliated to the site you are monitoring for the audio to be heard on a scanner. If it goes quiet there was either no radio on the site on the talkgroup, the talkgroup is not requested over the site, or the talkgroup is denied on the site. if I had to guess.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Actually I noticed yesterday afternoon that I was only getting North Patrol over 700, not on 800. It wasn't a long time, but it was noticeable and unusual.

It is worth noting that there are 2 sets of radios out there, which will affect what you hear and where.
14xxx Radios are mainly Mobiles and Consoles and some ESU Portables. These have mainly been on 800 (not sure about the consoles).

The 12xxx radios are portables and are usually on 700.

On the Hunterdon NJICS Site, South is always on 700, probably because the units in Princeton affiliating with the Hunterdon site. North only seems to come in on 700 when PD is in the Somerset area, otherwise it is always on 800.

AlexC

Database Admin
Just so you guys know - the way the system works is that it is all one physical system. The SmartX just makes the old 3600 sties show up to the controller as sites just like a P25 site. So when you key up on on 800 it shows up on 700, but again, only if there is a subscriber affiliated, the talkgroup is allowed on both systems, etc. So if by chance there was nothing on the 800 side and the 700 side was where the fun was - you will not hear anything over 800 side.

It's done as a spectrum efficiency thing. IF there is nothing to hear it (radios on the talkgroup) then you will never get the audio.

The only other way is through a talkgroup being requested which means if there is an open channel and audio on the talkgroup but no radio affiliated the audio will be carried on the site.

I get as a scanner listener it looks like there are 4 total system ID's, etc, but that's how in reality the system is built to work. It's hard to get ones head around....

Alex

Does anyone else have trouble hearing NJ Transit PD HQ when they transmit on SPEN 1 (154.68 - CTCSS 131.8)?

The audio is so terrible; I can't figure out what their problem could be. It almost sounds as if the base station is in partial digital mode. Perhaps trouble with the console?

Status
Not open for further replies.