longmont pd

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Negative. Sunset (aka Longmont) control still on 774.20625 last I listened. Still there on the water tower.
Depending upon where you are at any given point in time, you may find that Mead (Ctrl = 853.98750) gives you a better signal.

Nice that they still simulcast VHF, isn't it? I can hear it clear down in Denver if I'm not blocked out.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I can confirm that the Longmont CC is still the same as listed in the database. I was logging it up until early this morning.

Look at the logged data we have for some of the area sites, Mead and Thorodin seem to carry Longmont PD around 90% of the time, with a majority of silent periods being late night and early morning. Gunbarrel carries Longmont a bit as well, but it has some dropouts throughout the day.

nathancarlson

It seems like Longmont has recently made a few changes to the way the patch is set up. It is strange how when I listen to the VHF Law 1, it sounds almost like a MDC 1200 roger beep right before the transmission whenever a field unit or dispatch keys up. I didn't really notice that before, even with the patch to the DTRS talkgroup. With the Boulder Green channel patch, I usually hear the weird hum that is also on the VHF channels, and often get distorted audio, so I prefer the VHF for County, and the talkgroups for Longmont. I primarily listen to the Longmont control channel, and have not noticed any problems with it lately.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Had also noticed the digital ID in recent weeks. Originally, after the DTRS patch, we weren't hearing that, and it was nice NOT to hear it :) Not sure why it returned.

nathancarlson

Longmont to encrypt most channels

In a facebook post today, Longmont announced that they will keep Law 1 in the clear while encrypting the other talkgroups (I only know of Police Tac 1 that was previously not encrypted). It is good they are at least keeping the main dispatch in the clear, but I wonder how it will work with all the volunteer agencies who help at community events (especially parades) who will not have radio communications available to them (to coordinate with them or even monitor the radio traffic). Time will tell.

It also seems that they are keeping the conventional patch active, so that other agencies who are on VHF can still have access.

From Facebook:

"If you own a scanner or are an Internet listener of our police radios, you may be interested in an upcoming change. Beginning March 23, and with a completion date of March 27, 2015, Longmont will encrypt all police talk groups previously available to the public with the exception of LAW 1. LAW 1 is the primary police dispatch talk group. Should you require additional information, please call (303)651-8547. You may need to leave a message, but a member of staff will return your call."

Kevin_N

My personal opinion is that only tactical kinds of channels need encryption, but it's nice to see that Longmont is flexible and seems to somewhat care about the public's interest.

The public will be able to hear important things. One small example: last night I heard on Jeffco's channel that a mountain lion or 2 were running around some neighborhood. That's useful information for listeners to hear.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
(I only know of Police Tac 1 that was previously not encrypted).

Tac 2 was also unencrypted as well and was actually used in as part of the Longmont murder/suicide incident last week. I have been logging Gunbarrel and switched between that and Longmont after the post went up. I hadn't caught any activity on either talkgroup until yesterday (March 26) at 16:30 on Gunbarrel with Tac 1 showing as fully encrypted. I would expect Tac 2 to also be encrypted at this point.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
All TAC seems to be encrypted now Guess that means the speed trap teams are working 'undercover' now, too <g>. Heck, if it wasn't for them, I might not have realized how much of a stretch of 75th St. Longmont 'owns'!

Status
Not open for further replies.