• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can anyone answer this question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have these radios that operate in the FRS/GMRS frequency range. I am trying to modify it by attaching a 1/8th in head phone jack to be able to play music or whatever from my phone over the walkie talkie. Basically what ive done so far is just solder on in place of the microphone/speaker. I've tried both of the jacks pictured just to do it. I got it to work on some cheap walkie talkies that operate on a lower frequency but I can't get this to do the same thing. Can anybody help me or explain to me why this wouldnt work please and thank you!

Attachments

• WT.jpg
    WT.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 907
  • WT2.jpg
    WT2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 852
Last edited:

Voyager

You might want to review FCC Part 95 before putting much more work into this project, as:

1. Playing music over either service is illegal, and

2. Modifying the radios is illegal.

Oh great...what if i were to create my own radio from scratch, how would i go about getting sound to play through an 1/8th jack? The sound would just be a voice

mancow

Database Admin
They don't have microphone jack on them?

The microphone appears to be the small round hole where an electret capsule is located.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
First, I would follow the above advice, as it is not exactly legal.

As far as your question, what are you using to close the PTT circuit? Is the radio VOX capable, and is it enabled? Was the other radio you referenced VOX capable? I think this is where your issue lies.

Yes it is vox capable but I dont think it was enabled. and for the other walkie talkie Im not sure, there was not configurable settings or channels, they were a cheap set of kids walkie talkies. What exactly is VOX?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
It's voice actuation. When the radio senses noise above a certain level from the microphone, it closes the PTT circuit, allowing the audio to automatically pass. If you're planning on a constant audio stream, the components in those cheap radios will probably fail relatively quickly.

I dont want to use the cheap ones, they arent even the right frequency I want. Im not gonna have constant sound but i do need it to be able to transmit without the PTT button being pressed. So if VOX is enabled you think it will pass sound from the audio device?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
You would have to enable VOX, or wire the PTT circuit with an on/off switch in place of the current momentary switch so that you could switch the transmit as you needed it. You could just wire the circuit for constant transmit, but I would advise against it as it might cause harmful interference while unattended.

Once again, I am only addressing the theory of why it isn't working, make sure your application is in accordance with FCC guidelines.

mchart13

Assuming this will be your "music" transmitting radio that will be connected to your cell, ipod... headphone jack.
You have your wires connected to the speaker of that GMRS radio, that won't work. You need to be connected to the MIC of the radio which is up a bit and to the right which has that black felt or rubber gromet around it. I think MANCOW was trying to tell you that.
Also yes you will need VOX turned on

Okay so i enabled VOX and nothing happened, I did notice though when i push the PTT to transmit i hear slight static but it also seems to pick up other noises like if i click or flick on the waklie talkie itself the click sound gets transmitted as if the whole walkie talkie is now a microphone. But voice does not get transmitted.

I thought the speaker output was the same as the microphone lol figured it was dual device...so i will check that out! My bad lol also thanks for pointing that out!

Guess what!? That worked lol I'm a DA...thanks for your help guys! I do plan on getting a license and everything for my device im just still in the planning and developing phase. But this is one step forward, thanks for pointing that out to me.

Voyager

I doubt the other GMRS/FRS users in your area will let you stay on the air long. Anyway, no sense in bothering with the license since what you're doing is illegal anyway. What's one more violation on top of the two you're already committing? Although if you use FRS frequencies, there is no license, so you're back down to only two violations.

An by all means enjoy your project until the FCC cites you.

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
Guess what!? That worked lol I'm a DA...thanks for your help guys! I do plan on getting a license and everything for my device im just still in the planning and developing phase. But this is one step forward, thanks for pointing that out to me.

I think the DA part is using any radio! Why not use a Bluetooth device and be legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.