BC895 XLT & Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I have a BC 895 XLT works fine but when you turn the Volume up it starts to squall like it's getting feed back. Anyone have a Idea on this one? I love this old scanner hate to trash it just yet. I have had it a long time.

parnass

AJ9S
The feedback might be caused by component being "microphonic." When you increase the volume, a microphonic component can be affected by the physical vibrations of the audio.

If you are not handy with repairing your own scanner and desire a workaround, try using an external speaker which is not physically touching the BC895XLT. That will isolate your scanner from vibrations eminating from the speaker.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I tired a external speaker and it still squeals when your turn the volume up. it only squeals when someone is talking. Could it be the volume control???

parnass

AJ9S
In that case, the most common cause is a defective capacitor in the audio stage.

I don't have access to a BC895XLT schematic. In several older Uniden BC800XLT scanners, I replaced the 47 ufd electrolytic capacitor which was in series between the audio amplifier output and the external speaker jack. The output capacitor had gone bad and caused low volume and microphonics.

There are multiple capacitors involved in the audio stage and your radio could have had a bypass capacitor open up.

If you are not comfortable making DIY electronic repairs, send the radio out to a technician for service.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
update I took the 895 out of the shack and out to the garage. I plugged it in yesterday and went out there today and it's working fine in the garage. Must been something in the shack making it do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.