San Diego City 700MHz System

JoeyC

San Diego City 700MHz Trunking System, San Diego, California - Scanner Frequencies

Anyone have any news on this supposed system?
The "latest news update" on RR is dated 2/2010 stating future expansion will take place in phases over the next 3 years. It's now 2 years beyond those 3 years and and the entire system is still nothing but a big CB party line for the trash collectors to talk to each other about what they did over the weekend or other nonsense.

Believe me, I am not looking forward to the day that the city abandons their 800 Mhz mixed mode system for this one. I'm only curious since this system appears to have been online now for more than 5 years and nothing further appears to be progressing with it.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Haha you're not the only one that's noticed. Apparently they migrated the city sanitation trash and recycling users away from VHF and onto talkgroups on the 700 MHz system. My hypothesis was always that those guys go all over the city so they made good guinea pigs for coverage testing. But then nothing ever progressed, and no new talkgroups showed up. I'm just as puzzled as you.

On a somewhat related note, the only digital non-encrypted talkgroups I've heard on the city 800 MHz system are 32656, 32688 and 32720. These appear to belong to some sort of city public works facility that loads trucks with dirt and mulch by the yard. Not exactly who you'd expect to get top of the line radios, along with the garbage trucks... :)

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
SND Command is the old PD F2 (whatever it became after the PD moved to 800). THe two tacs are the legacy 154 simplex.

goaheadover

Banned
I was under the impression that the city was moving public safety to this new system... away from analog. Guess not,

f40ph

Feed Provider
Latest info is San Diego FD will maintain one VHF (analog) repeater and two VHF analog tacs for interoperability. I'm hearing there is a countywide renaming in process with everything ending up as an XSD command or XSD tac (even the SND channels).

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Update on the SND VHF channels.......SND CMD is patched full time to 7J, and SND TAC 1 is patched full time to 7K. The audio quality is a mix between an RCS LE Command patch, and a CHP 700MHz extender, with a little Trolley Security F5 over-modulation thrown in for good measure. :)

Paul

I sat in on a class a friend of mine taught to the city's radio techs, they said the sanitation truck drivers had so much traffic the techs didn't think there would be room for the PD. Where to go for lunch seemed to be major topic during mid-day.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Let the trash trucks and city services inherit the current system, and more public safety over to the new 700MHz system? The current system is apparently capable of P25, so it would be a major upgrade to all the city services operating analog,a nd especially those operating on the very old hand me down VHF repeaters!

.....or just make it a Phase II 700MHz TDMA system...... :)

Paul

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Update on the SND VHF channels.......SND CMD is patched full time to 7J, and SND TAC 1 is patched full time to 7K. The audio quality is a mix between an RCS LE Command patch, and a CHP 700MHz extender, with a little Trolley Security F5 over-modulation thrown in for good measure. :)

Paul

Now this right here is a man who knows his San Diego radio systems! Although everyone knows all the trolley channels are overmodulated. ;)

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
ini, do you happen to know the INPUT frequency for Trolley F5? It would be useful to be able to actually UNDERSTAND units giving updates on trolley crashes, MTS officers being beaten etc when close to the scenes. :)

You can PM me if you don't want to blast their TX freq to anti MTS peeps with HAM radios. :-D

Paul

JoeyC

The database does not show inputs by default. You have to choose Input Frequencies (SHOWN) from the drop down just below the map.

Elpablo

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the justification for purchasing the "New" 700 mhz system that the current 800 mhz was near or at the end of it's life-cycle? Does anyone know if there is a big financial hurdle preventing migration the majority of city services to the 700 mhz system (i.e.; Cap Ex of new radios) vs. reprogramming of existing radios? Also, is the system fully built out to support mission critical communications? These thoughts came to mind as I was reading through this thread. Thanks in advance.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
All police and fire radios have been 700MHz capable models for YEARS.........I wonder if they can use the current 800MHz pool of frequencies added to the new Phase I 700MHz system to make it bigger and better, with more capacity.

Paul