how much do the airlines still used the company freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhscan

Scannerbuff999 Duplicate Account
Banned
with all the cell phone that pilots have now do the airlines still use the company freq and what do you hear

Yes, they still do. I find them more active closer in to the airport now than in the past. A lot of the en route/cruise stuff is data link now vs voice.

The cell phone is useless above about 4,000 AGL. On the ground, there are dedicated radio positions to handle the comms. Better that everyone can hear each other for awareness and a feel for what's going on, vs being on phone hold.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
How do it when the are many km away from the Airport?
ACARS? Shortwave? Satcom?

ATCTech

Yes, yes, and yes. For voice traffic there is a broad network of ground stations provided by ARINC for example, and here in Canada the major airlines have ground stations at their larger destinations as well, staffed locally where appropriate and tied back to their main dispatch facilities.

Here at Toronto there are about two dozen company operations voice frequencies active.

Your_account

Banned
But on which Frequency?
The Aircraft Frequency (118 -136) or other?

ATCTech

Oh, sorry, those would all be on the 118-137 MHz AM air range. The old 128.875 to 131.975 span being the most prolific with a handful of new ones between 136 & 137 MHz and a couple between 122 & 124 MHz.

Your_account

Banned
I have an list of all* Austrian Aircraft Frequency if someone want it....?
* all i found on offical pages.

majoco

Stirrer
All airline tarmac offices for operations, maintenance, loaders, refuellers etc have aircraft band radios. They need to communicate with each other, although the ops office is more likely to have a good antenna to hear the aircraft a fair way out. The aircraft will likely call about 20minutes out with ETA and requirements, possibly further out if there is a defect requiring repair or an aircraft change. At altitude 20 minutes could easily be 100nm. I hear my old company aircraft calling Rotorua on 130.3MHz and that's 230km/150miles away.

ARINC doesn't exist down here. ATC is provided by the Airways Corporation, airline office radios are on licenced aircraft frequencies, although one frequency is used all over the country. Handhelds are usually on a private trunking network.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
For example Jetblue at JFK has one frequency for inrange reports, another for ramp control, one for local mx which the pilots can use to communicate with techops, one for dispatch/mx control and two additional frequencies that are used for de-cing.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
For VHF around Calgary, Ab there are a couple of airlines that use their AM frequencies. A lot is to say how much fuel that had before takeoff and how much was used during takeoff. Others to contact when they have a passenger that has to transfer to another flight on landing. Are used if they have a minor problem and require a technician to help them isolate the problem.

vstream02

All airline tarmac offices for operations, maintenance, loaders, refuellers etc have aircraft band radios. They need to communicate with each other, although the ops office is more likely to have a good antenna to hear the aircraft a fair way out. The aircraft will likely call about 20minutes out with ETA and requirements, possibly further out if there is a defect requiring repair or an aircraft change. At altitude 20 minutes could easily be 100nm. I hear my old company aircraft calling Rotorua on 130.3MHz and that's 230km/150miles away.

ARINC doesn't exist down here. ATC is provided by the Airways Corporation, airline office radios are on licenced aircraft frequencies, although one frequency is used all over the country. Handhelds are usually on a private trunking network.

Atleast at my airline(WN) No one calls and lets anyone know they are "In range" the flight computer does it. Messages are sent to dispatch, crew scheduling and MX via free text acars. We only use the "company" ops frequency to request stuff on the ground/gate. "Ship 665 we need 2 more seatbelt extenders, a lav dump and potable"

majoco

Stirrer
Atleast at my airline(WN) No one calls and lets anyone know they are "In range" the flight computer does it.
How does the 'flight computer' do what and how? Do you have many ACARS frequencies for non-ATC communications? How do you cope when outside VHF range? We don't use aircraft VHF on the gate, the flight crew have handhelds on the trunking network to speak to catering, toilet truck etc.

vstream02

Not sure exactly how the flight computer does what it does. It send an acars message to the airport automatically. It is sent to a computer that flashes and tells the ground folks "SWA 837 is in range" which means 10-12 mins out. When the pilots call for lav etc they do call on the aircrafts radio. If the ops frequency is 134.xxx they dial it in the ac console and call.

Status
Not open for further replies.