• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New project : Uniden 880 remote head

Status
Not open for further replies.

durango5550

Booger D.
So,

I have decided to start on a project to turn my 880 into a remote head configuration. something I believe Uniden should have done already considering the lack of room in most modern day cars and trucks for a full size radio.

I am in the first stages on figuring out what I am going to need for the project and what the cost will be for parts.

UPMAN , I really wish Uniden would have done something like this. I love a full featured head , can;t stand the current compact "remote" style radios

The ribbon cable is my biggest worry and trying to find a way around that is gonna be a challenge.

Ill keep you all updated on my progress

Dan

durango5550

Booger D.
Problem one im running into is finding good quality shielded multi conductor wire....

Project still on going will post pics when I start assembly

Dan

RCR619

Would PVC data cable work?

I've wanted to try this exact same project for a long time since the Cobra 29 LX LE came out.

k8krh

I believe their are 2 of them out, mind is blank who makes them at the moment
DOCTOR/795

durango5550

Booger D.
no service manual for one does not exist.

I am basically just making the ribbon cable longer so to speak. I am still trying to find good quality multi conductor cable that's not 3 inches thick. need 32 conductor cable , hard to find it shielded.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks

cobra makes one as well as stryker , but the are the type with all the controls on the mic. I like a full control head.

All right thanks.
I like remote heads, cuz it's easier to mount in a center shift console.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing my buddy did, He covered up his car's cup holders with a couple of radios, took a couple of ceramic cups from the house, slid the handles of the ceramic cups on the emergency brake, and is using the ceramic cups as cup holders. It actually worked out good. First I've ever seen it done.

JayMojave

Hello ONR and All: Yeah good going if you can make that work, I am keeping an eye on this thread, and it would be great if you could publish diagrams and photos. Good going.

Having cross country trips this summer planned, a remote control head would be a good call in all ready crowded cab of my truck.

I am looking at the Kenwood TS-480 radio, it has a remote head, and 200 watts PEP output. And screwdriver tunable antennas to allow using the lower ham bands. I believe the more radio equipment you have in the truck the more better things are, I think that's right...

Kenwood TS-480SAT and TS-480HX Transceivers TS480

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert. No International Airport, Monorail, new fire fighting aircraft, or convent freeway on/off ramps yet, but I am sure Governor Brown's policy of over taxing and spending will save us all.

kc8kek

Good luck, neat idea. I have seen this done successfully with a Cobra 29 before, it was less than 4 feet of cable, and noise was a slight problem, but that was pretty much just putting really long extensions on the pots. I still haven't cracked the case on my new 980 yet...I might just have to take a look. Curious to see how your project works.

durango5550

Booger D.
for those following this thread , the project came to an end. The tools required for the SMT soldering are to dang expensive. Once the proper tools and proper multi conductor cable are found I will continue this project.

Sorry for the build up and let down :(

durango5550

Booger D.
What gets me is Uniden Makes this for the aussie guys.

Attachments

• UH8070Sprestige-600x600.jpg
    UH8070Sprestige-600x600.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2,596

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber

Attachments

• 980.jpg
    980.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,220

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber

Attachments

• 880 Connections.jpg
    880 Connections.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 1,064
  • NHD-FFC36-front_LRG.jpg
    NHD-FFC36-front_LRG.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,004

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber

Attachments

• CS-DSDMDB50MM.jpg
    CS-DSDMDB50MM.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 876
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,041

NavyGator

I joined the forum today based on this thread regarding making a Uniden 880 a detachable face. It looks like the thread is dead but there was some info given for a possible solution.

I am trying to make a remote face for the Uniden 980. I will start a thread in a few days to begin the process of planning it out. I'm hoping to get some assistance from you all.

Rich

Delta33

for those following this thread , the project came to an end. The tools required for the SMT soldering are to dang expensive. Once the proper tools and proper multi conductor cable are found I will continue this project.

Sorry for the build up and let down :(
Surface mount soldering stations can be had for Less than $100, so what's expensive unless you want your own Wave machine then yeah, a bit pricey. I am a IPC trained soldering tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.