Union Pacific Freq Change Austin 160.83

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbarker

Robert
Not sure where to post this but i updated under Texas. Union Pacifc in Austin, TX has changed from 160.74 to 160.83. I Wonder why??

From a friend:
They used to have a phone patch system, which they called a PBX, but I think they don't use that around Austin anymore. I think BNSF may still use their PBX system, but BN doesn't get that close to Austin.

The UP "road" frequency on 160.830 does use a 3 DTMF tone sequence to call the dispatcher, but not a "phone path." The 3 tones activate the nearest radio tower and connects it to the dispatcher, and makes some sort of signal on the dispatcher's console in the dispatch center in Omaha. It's sort of a phone patch, but it only connects to the dispatcher.

You'll hear three DTMF tones, and then a long tone in response. Then you'll hear the dispatcher come on the air. Different segments of the railroad network use different DTMF codes so you don't ring up the dispatcher on some distant segment of track when there's ducting.

Apparently, the train has to dial up the 3 tones on a DTMF mike like we do.

I think that 911 actually works on all of the radio towers and signals the dispatcher that it's an emergency call.

They changed the DTMF call code when they changed the frequency last week. I don't know what the number is, but I can tell it's different.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Crews have always changed channels on that subdivision before... All they really changed was the location where they change channels on the radio display.

Most likely this was done as a dispatcher re-alignment.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, 160.830 (Channel 48) was used by Union Pacific here in Bryan up until a few weeks ago. It appears that they have gone (at least here) to a trunked format, which I'm trying to figure out.

rbarker

Robert
I'm not aware of them being exclusively on a trunked radio system but i can imagine some of the RR channels will rebroadcast on TxWarn or the Austin Travis Co System, but the regular VHF Railroad is still being used. Try 160.74

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I suspect that they moved to some sort of LTR system here in Bryan. Dispatch seems to be transmitting on one channel (31) and then responding to the train's transmission on either 30, 35, 43 or 45. Also, my Railroad Spectra doesn't seem to pick up any of the traffic.

STARFIRE

I road Amtrak 21/22 this past weekend and 160.74 (42) is used from San Antonio to Centex ( San Marcos) then 160.83 (48) is used from Centex to Hearne. All transmissions were coming in loud and clear.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
FWIW, 160.830 (Channel 48) was used by Union Pacific here in Bryan up until a few weeks ago. It appears that they have gone (at least here) to a trunked format, which I'm trying to figure out.

No, they did not move to a trunked system.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
UP Freq Change

Another thought I had reading this string of messages is that they added another frequency to separate radio traffic to make it easier for the dispatcher to hear different parts of the territory. Last fall in Denver they added AAR 14 (160.320 MHz) between Prospect Jct and East Rocky siding going up the Moffat Tunnel Sub west of Denver because there was too much radio traffic on the channel they had been using for the Denver Terminal area, 161.490 MHz.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Valley Jct to Mumford - 48
Mumford to Spring Jct - 37

They used to be on 48 over the entire subdivision. There is no LTR or trunked system. Period.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Valley Jct to Mumford - 48
Mumford to Spring Jct - 37

They used to be on 48 over the entire subdivision. There is no LTR or trunked system. Period.

Yeah, I figured that out.

I seem to have an issue receiving, though. It appears that my 796 will only receive the channel if I set it to wide FM. I've tried plain FM and narrow FM, and in both cases the scanner quit receiving the channel. Also, the dispatchers sound faint and I can barely hear them without jacking up the volume almost to the max.

Status
Not open for further replies.