Phoenix Fire Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

mswells

WB6JLB
Feed Provider
I currently am receiving phoenix fire on Simulcast B, but get a moderate amount of distortion on my Pro-668 scanner. I would like to know if there are any alternative sites with Phoenix Fire....that I could program in. I live near 27th Ave & Camelback, in Phoenix.

KB7MIB

Where you're located, no. Simulcasts C, F, G, H and J all carry Phoenix FD TG's.
Due to multi-path interference, this is a common problem.

The IR sites used to carry the FD TG's all the time, however, it appears that only Towers Mtn and perhaps Thompson Peak carry a TG or two, if a radio happens to be affiliated with the site.

Your best bet is to buy a directional antenna, and experiment with aiming it at the best Simulcast B transmitter site for clear reception.

John
Peoria

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
You might be able to get away with pulling them from Simulcast G or J instead. While that won't completely eliminate the simulcast issues, it should help reduce them since you're not trying to hear the towers literally all around you at that location.

Good luck!
-AZ

mesocyclone

It's also possible that you are getting interference... intermodulation or cross-modulation. Try turning on the attenuator (if your radio has one). If not, try intentionally making your antenna *less* effective. If things get better, then you know that off-channel strong interference is the problem.

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
should have posted here instead of the "ALI" post on page one. could one of you guys maybe read my post today there and shoot me an answer or suggestion? b1100mac

KB7MIB

It was answered there.

The analog conventional VHF channels are generally only used for fire and hazmat calls. Depending on the antenna you're using, you have to be within a few miles of an incident to hear units on scene, but you should be able to hear the alarm room on them.

(Some 80% or more of the call volume is EMS, which is carried on the K-decks. So the VHF channels are lightly used, as they're generally for fire and hazmat calls, with a few exceptions, such as channel 13 used by Tonopah and Harquahala Valley for all calls; Buckeye & Buckeye Valley sometimes using channel 9 for EMS calls, and Daisy Mtn sometimes using channel 10 for EMS calls. In those last two cases, I believe accidents on the freeway.)

The A-deck talkgroups that are patched to the VHF channels are all encrypted.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.