MPSCS clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryrymedic

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to program Grand Traverse County, analog and digital. I used the RR service to program it but the digital transmissions are picked up on the analog frequencies and not the digital talkgroups. I have programmed multiple counties before where I lived and it worked perfect. Now I can't even simply program one county correctly.

mikey60

You'll get more help if you can tell us what model you're trying to program...

I was just up in that area over the weekend, but didn't have the scanner on much so I can't help with the frequencies at the moment. Are some of those VHF frequencies digital now?

Mike

ryrymedic

Premium Subscriber
I have a pro96 using arc96. On RR they county has 5 talkgroups and the rest is on vhf. I have a friend who is director of ems at a twp here and he said the depts are all on digital.

baltokid1

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Northern MI. where scanning on a good day is slow at best.
I am in the Cadillac area. I moved here six years ago from Lansing MI. where I
needed several scanners to keep up. Here all I need is one digital most of the
time. As far as GT County goes I have them programmed both ways and pretty
much hear them on analog, once in blue moon you will catch them on their digital
but not very often. I don't receive any Traverse City stuff at my location so I
can't speak to that. What I did was program the two MPSCS sites closed to me. We are
district 7 on the MSP stuff then I programmed the counties around me in their own separate
systems just to have stuff to listen too. I think Leelanau county is totally on MPSCS.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Understand the database is populated by the general public and its not an official list, its generated by all of us tuning in and figuring out what it is we are hearing.

Far as any digital we don't have, for the radio shack brand add a wildcard. That way you will get every talkgroup on the tower your receiving. When you hear something compare it to the MPSCS list with link below and if its not there, you found a new one! Then you'll need to help identify who and what it is used for and once you do let us know with a submission to update the database! ;).

For the Uniden model owners change it from ID Scan to ID Search.

If all you northern MI listeners can look over your areas and let us know of any additionals we don't have, items that are no longer in use, PL codes, etc. We don't get many updates from listeners in the northern half of MI.

Here is the state, click your areas for the analog frequencies we have
Michigan Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
and then the MPSCS digital here - Michigan's Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

GeneseeCoMI

Understand the database is populated by the general public and its not an official list, its generated by all of us tuning in and figuring out what it is we are hearing.

Far as any digital we don't have, for the radio shack brand add a wildcard. That way you will get every talkgroup on the tower your receiving. When you hear something compare it to the MPSCS list with link below and if its not there, you found a new one! Then you'll need to help identify who and what it is used for and once you do let us know with a submission to update the database! ;).

For the Uniden model owners change it from ID Scan to ID Search.

If all you northern MI listeners can look over your areas and let us know of any additionals we don't have, items that are no longer in use, PL codes, etc. We don't get many updates from listeners in the northern half of MI.

Here is the state, click your areas for the analog frequencies we have
Michigan Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
and then the MPSCS digital here - Michigan's Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

He has a Pro 96. They don't have wildcards, they have open mode and closed mode. To switch between them press manual, func, 5. Then press scan. If there's a + sign on the second row it means that bank is in open mode and will pick up every TG whether it's in your saved ID list or not. If there's a - sign it's in closed mode and will only stop on TG's in your saved ID list. Do this for each bank. To see which TG's are in your saved ID list, press man, pgm, trunk .When it stops on a TG, press trunk to save it to your ID list and enter an alpha tag by pressing text and using the keypad to label it for future reference. Or if you know what you want to listen to from the MPSCS page, enter each TG using the keypad and adding an alpha tag. Then press scan to continue. Also make sure every bank that's activated has only the control channels (the ones in red and blue on here) programmed, and they're not locked out by checking if there's an L on the top row when you go to them. If there is, press L/OUT to unlock them. Do the same with analog frequencies. The banks on the Pro 96 each have 50 channels. Don't put analog frequencies in the same bank as control channels, keep them in separate ones. Also if you can pick up control channels for more than one tower, keep them in separate banks so that each tower has its own bank. If you don't, the scanner will stay on the stronger signal and ignore the other(s). To search through banks with channels in them make sure its number appears on the top row after you press scan. If it doesn't, press its corresponding number on the keypad. Also make sure your squelch is low enough so that your hear a noise that sounds like a diesel engine idling when you go to the control channel. If you don't, turn the squelch knob counterclockwise until you do.

Last edited:

GeneseeCoMI

Another thing I'm surprised nobody's mentioned is make sure you have the new rebanded MPSCS frequencies programmed in and not the old ones. They're all in the 850's now and not the 860s any more. The Traverse City tower's control channels are 853.775 and 853.875, and the nearby South Boardman tower's are 853.375 and 853.5

One more thing, make sure you have both the control channels and ID list set to Motorola mode. Press mode when on the control channels until MO appears on the top right corner, and until MOT appears in the third line when in the ID list.

Last edited:

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
PRO-96

... Don't put analog frequencies in the same bank as control channels, keep them in separate ones. Also if you can pick up control channels for more than one tower, keep them in separate banks so that each tower has its own bank. If you don't, the scanner will stay on the stronger signal and ignore the other(s)...

Actually, you CAN put more than one site in a bank, but you MUST separate each site with a non-trunked (analog) frequency. If you put several sites in one bank without something in between, the PRO-96 will lock onto the first control channel it sees in that bank & that is the only site you will hear traffic from.
Example:
0) Site A Control Channel
1) Site A Alternate Control Channel
2) analog frequency
3) Site B Control Channel
4) Site B Alternate Control Channel
5) Site B Alternate Control Channel
6) analog frequency
7) Site C Control Channel
8) Site C Alternate Control Channel

And so on. Somebody on the forums pointed this out to me years ago, & since I've programmed it this way, it works fine, and I am picking up more traffic.

Also, just as a suggestion: I put an analog frequency in channel zero of each bank, so that the bank name shows up when you scroll through the banks using "Function, ^ ". If you have a trunked frequency in channel zero, the bank name doesn't show up.

GeneseeCoMI

Actually, you CAN put more than one site in a bank, but you MUST separate each site with a non-trunked (analog) frequency. If you put several sites in one bank without something in between, the PRO-96 will lock onto the first control channel it sees in that bank & that is the only site you will hear traffic from.
Example:
0) Site A Control Channel
1) Site A Alternate Control Channel
2) analog frequency
3) Site B Control Channel
4) Site B Alternate Control Channel
5) Site B Alternate Control Channel
6) analog frequency
7) Site C Control Channel
8) Site C Alternate Control Channel

And so on. Somebody on the forums pointed this out to me years ago, & since I've programmed it this way, it works fine, and I am picking up more traffic.

Also, just as a suggestion: I put an analog frequency in channel zero of each bank, so that the bank name shows up when you scroll through the banks using "Function, ^ ". If you have a trunked frequency in channel zero, the bank name doesn't show up.

You're right. My mistake. Good tip. Saves space too.

That second tip is cool too. I wasn't even aware of the func, up/down trick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.