two way radio on planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

Does anybody know if you can have a handheld two way ham radio on a plane, No on of course, I mean in checked baggage or carry on to use when you get to your destination, i'm thinking about taking mine with me but I want to be sure your allowed to have it first.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Does anybody know if you can have a handheld two way ham radio on a plane, No on of course, I mean in checked baggage or carry on to use when you get to your destination, i'm thinking about taking mine with me but I want to be sure your allowed to have it first.

I have had no issue having portables, both ham and LMR in carry on. YMMV.

btritch

Ok, thanks
Mine is actually my VHF fire department radio with the ham frequencies in, it's an LMR radio so I wanted to make sure first. I may put it in checked baggage instead of carry on though.
Thanks for the reply.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I may put it in checked baggage instead of carry on though.

I would not put ANYTHING that valuable in checked baggage! First, if it is lost/stolen, the airlines will NOT reimburse you. Second, the last thing you want is for it to accidentally turn on and create some security theater scare.

Just place it in your carry on.

FWIW, I've carried a bag full of LMR radios in and out of NYC/Laguardia and no one batted an eye.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
When I fly I usually carry both a handheld dual band ham HT and a portable scanner either in laptop bag or on the belt-never had a problem.

In the past they were supposed to remain off during flight-not sure if that is changing.

D

DaveNF2G

You should check with the airline instead of getting opinions online.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Radio on planes

If you fly to a foreign country, check the rules for use. Some do not recognize our Tech class and do not allow you to transmit. When I went to Guatemala, I contacted their radio society several months ahead of time and received a written letter from them. It was very helpful in leaving the country when their customs wanted to know why I had a two way radio.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
As a frequent flyer, I agree with all the above. There are regulations about putting lithium ion batteries in checked baggage. It is prohibited. This is another argument for carrying the radio with you. I travel to Alaska several times a year and never had anyone say anything about radios or scanners. I do check cable and wire antennas. TSA has a thing about wires and I don't carry anything if I can help it. They went nuts over a remote release cable for my camera once.

One last thing, there was some talk about the potential to show TSA that electronic devices actually work (not a case for something nasty) so have your batteries charged so you can operate the radio if asked. Never been asked, however.

btritch

Good advise
Thanks for that
I have it Charged and in carry on. I also have my license with me and it's only a LMR handheld with ham bands in it, nothing really nasty or harmful so showing them won't be a problem. I guess I'll put it in carry on and see what happens. If all else fails I'll go and put it back in the car and not take it.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I travel about two dozen times a year with three or four radios in my carry on. TSA has inspected my bag by hand a few times but nothing more.

TSA does not specifically prohibit carrying radios aboard aircraft. Not aware of any airlines that prohibit them as well. I wouldn't worry about it.

Just don't be that guy who takes it out.

SCPD

QRT
It's to the point you have to worry about the TSA agents stealing your stuff!. Never in checked baggage as they randomly search them, happened to me when I went to Vegas a few years ago. They leave a nice little note that they rummaged through your suitcase. Nothing but clothes and hygiene stuff in mine, all expensive stuff was carry on.

btritch

That's what I've done, all major expensive stuff in my carry on, only clothes in checked baggage, I placed it in my carry on, from everything I've seen on everyone's posts and replies and since when I enter it on the TSA website as several different devices all it says is the same thing and that's to pack all electronics neatly with cords wrapped up I've decided to take it with me. I can show them how it works if I need to, that's not a problem. And I won't be taking it out on the plane for sure. Once I leave the house it won't be out again until I hit the ground at the final destination. I thank everyone again for the advise and experience stories, without you all I never would have attempted it. Thanks Again

av8or91

As a pilot for a major airline, I travel with a portable radio all the time in my suitcase and I have never been hassled.

btritch

I didn't have any problems either, they never even asked, I put it in the carry on and there wasn't any problems. That's the first time I've tried that so I wasn't sure what they were going to say. I'm glad I was able to bring it. Going to try to get some on air amateur radio time on while I'm here.

mhscan

Scannerbuff999 Duplicate Account
Banned
check with TSA i have carry mine on many time with no problems

KB0VWG

If I am gone for at least a week or more i take a mobile radio, power supply 2 handhelds and a scanner.
oh and plus a mobile antenna. All in my backpack carry on and have had 0 issues.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Status
Not open for further replies.