Unable to load TriCntyMetroTran - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979b52

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the Portland area, using Freescan on BCD996XT

I downloaded the info from my scanner, then locked out 2 groups (not TriMet) that I am having trouble receiving.

When I try to upload the modified file to the scanner, It always fails at the same place with a message: "Failed adding group TriCntyMetroTran and Unable to store TGID, COMMS error or scanner out of memory"

I know the scanner is not out of memory - it shows 2% used.

The error message I get says to report this error to the Freescan Yahoo group - does that still exist?

Can anyone give me any tips?
I have tried uploading everything except the system that contains these frequencies - that worked. Then I tried uploading just the problem system - fails with the same messages.

The odd thing is that these frequencies were working fine before I tried locking out the Newberg ones that I don't receive well.

DickH

I'm in the Portland area, using Freescan on BCD996XT

I downloaded the info from my scanner, then locked out 2 groups (not TriMet) that I am having trouble receiving. ...

The odd thing is that these frequencies were working fine before I tried locking out the Newberg ones that I don't receive well.

First you say "locked out 2 groups", but then you talk about "frequencies". Which is it?

Groups implies Talk Groups in a trunked system. Frequencies implies freqs. in a conventional system.

1979b52

Premium Subscriber
sorry - I'm new, so getting terms mixed up.

Everything was working, and I downloaded the files from the scanner.

I locked out the Newberg groups

Then I tried up upload to scanner, and got the error messages.

I'll look in the Freescan forum, thanks for the link

DickH

sorry - I'm new, so getting terms mixed up.

Everything was working, and I downloaded the files from the scanner.

I locked out the Newberg groups

Then I tried up upload to scanner, and got the error messages.

I'll look in the Freescan forum, thanks for the link

It's still not clear. If you locked out 2 groups (Talk Groups in the trunk system?) because you are not receiving them, that does not make sense. You should receive ALL talk groups the same because they are all re-transmitted through the same repeater. If a unit is in a poor signal area, you might hear one or two messages poorly, but not every message on that talk group. It sounds as if you do not understand how a trunking system works.
Here is an explanation:

MOTOROLA TRUNKING
The object of trunking is to allow many users to share a relatively few frequencies.
A trunking system is controlled by a computer. Information (data) is exchanged between the system radios and the computer on a control channel, sometimes called a data channel. It sounds like a strong buzz.

A large system can have up to 28 freqs., 4 of which may be used as control channels. The control channel may be changed once a day or as often as the programmer decides. Some scanners need only the control channels to track an entire system. Just put in the 4 Control Channels.

Each group of users (Fire, Police, etc.) is assigned TALK GROUPS. In a Motorola Type II system, the most common type, TGs are usually in 32 number steps starting with 16 and going up to 65536; 16, 48, 80 --- 4656, 4688, 4720 --- 28944, 28976, etc. System radios can have more than 100 TGs programmed into them.

After all the freqs. have been entered and it is "trunking", the Banks become SCAN LISTS where you enter the Talk Groups you want to hear. Use the Talk Group numbers in the DEC column.

When a user pushes the talk button on his radio, data is sent to the computer. The computer chooses an unused freq. and sends that data to all the radios using the TG of the originating unit. This all happens in a fraction of a second and it happens EVERY TIME a radio is used.

EXAMPLE:
Fire Dispatch calling Engine 4 (TG 4528 on 856.7125)
Engine 4 answering Dispatch (TG 4528 on 852.2625)
Respond to 73 Elm Street (TG 4528 on 855.9625)
Engine 4 responding (TG 4528 on 851.6375)

If you have entered TG 4528 into your scanner, it will decode the control channel data and change your scanner freqs. to follow the conversation on TG 4528.

Status
Not open for further replies.