SDRConsole 'crackling' oddity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've recently been using SDRConsole on my laptop with my Airspy and I've discovered an odd problem. There is a constant popping and crackling sound in the background all the time, no matter what I try to listen to. The odd thing is that it diminishes quite a bit if I minimize the program. But open it back up and it comes right back. I don't get this problem at all when using SDR#. Also I can unplug the Airspy, plug it into my desktop PC and SDRConsole runs like a charm. Received audio is clear as a bell, no signs of crackling at all. The laptop is up to date on all drivers etc, and isn't underpowered for the job (Core i5, Win 8.1). I've tried different USB ports to no avail and have become quite puzzled by this. Anyone else come across anything like this?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I would generally agree with you, but that isn't the case at all here. With sampling at 10 Mbps CPU load sits at around 25%, with plenty of free ram remaining. And like I mentioned SDR# has no issue what so ever. Very odd.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Any chance you have unnecessary or extra sound devices enabled on your laptop?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
There shouldn't be... This is a new, clean install of Win 8.1 so it's bare bones. Installed windows, then VB Cable and SDRConsole/SDR#.

I'll have to do a little more tinkering over the weekend and see if I can isolate something.

eorange

Obviously not knowing how SDRConsole is designed or written...the symptoms seem to indicate that when maximimized, too much CPU is used to update the display, which might shortchange the realtime audio processing.

You can have a lot of spare CPU and memory, but if software is poorly written and not responding to events efficiently enough, then performance will suffer no matter what. Kinda like putting a V8 on a bicycle.

But this doesn't fully explain why it runs on your desktop with no problem.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
I use Airpy with Simon's SDR Console and I do not have the same issue. If you go to "home" tab you will most likely see all 6 VFO's. I do use all 6 VFO's and it will eat up a lot of horsepower.
Even though you are only using 2, all six maybe highlighted, if you click them until they are no longer highlighted that makes them inactive. Just a thought if you are using more resources than your lappy can handle Also how much span are you using?

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Does it get any better if you knock down the resolution and speed of the waterfall/spectrum?

I've recently been using SDRConsole on my laptop with my Airspy and I've discovered an odd problem. There is a constant popping and crackling sound in the background all the time, no matter what I try to listen to. The odd thing is that it diminishes quite a bit if I minimize the program. But open it back up and it comes right back. I don't get this problem at all when using SDR#. Also I can unplug the Airspy, plug it into my desktop PC and SDRConsole runs like a charm. Received audio is clear as a bell, no signs of crackling at all. The laptop is up to date on all drivers etc, and isn't underpowered for the job (Core i5, Win 8.1). I've tried different USB ports to no avail and have become quite puzzled by this. Anyone else come across anything like this?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Just double checked and only 2 VFOs were active. I set it back to 1 with no difference.

Ok what the hell... Now it's doing it with SDR# too! It has to be something internal to this laptop... I just plugged the Airspy back into my desktop and the audio is clean as can be. Strange thing is I used this laptop with the Airspy a month or so ago and didn't have any issues at all. In fact I made a bunch of IQ recordings that I just checked and there is no noise there at all. So I wonder what's changed? It's a drag as this was going to be my mobile setup for when I'm travelling and such, but it's no good to me like this. Back to the drawing board I guess! Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Did a little more playing tonight and it's definitely something with this laptop. It's a Dell E5430 that I use at work but I also have access to a 5420 so I tried one of those tonight and it works just fine. No noise at all when running 10 Mbps. On the 5430 I've found the cracking goes away when I drop the sample rate to 2.5 Mbps, yet if I run the airspy console tools it streams along at 10 Mbps no problems at all. Both laptop's are basically identical specs (Core i5, 4 gig ram).. So I'm not sure why it doesn't like the 5430!

eorange

If you right-click on the speaker in the tray, then choose "Playback Devices"...is there only one playback device listed and enabled? What about "Recording Devices"? Any chance the built-in mic is on, causing feedback, etc? How about if you use headphones?

Just looking to isolate things.

Status
Not open for further replies.