Garth Brooks tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I'm about to attend a Garth Brooks show in Denver, Colorado, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any specific frequencies used by the tour? And, any idea if the tour is using "regular" conventional vs. Mototurbo or Nexedge??

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Pure Country Is Pure American

I'm gonna catch Garth & Trisha at the Bryce Jorden Center at University Park Pennsylvania on May 2nd which shall be called Redneck Day, I am also an ardent fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alabama, 38 Special, Pee Wee Trahan, Pink Floyd, Marshall Tucker Band, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Charlie Daniels, North Mississippi Allstars, ZZ Top, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams Jr. & David Allen Coe, usually the groups voice mics are set up by the local venues if they are using that particular venues in house audio system, if not then voice audio & the instruments remote audio links are usually handled by the groups instrument handler & are more then likely self contained within the groups stage infrastructure, the frequencies are very secret & probably heavily encrypted to the nines to prevent any chance of intentional interference which is a very real concern in the multimillion dollar per concert industry.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I guarantee you wireless mics and IEMs are not encrypted, sound crews have enough problems with them in the clear. If they have RF problems on a particular frequency, they have about 15 backup plans (i.e. multiple devices on other frequencies, and wired mics as a last resort). But I wasn't even asking about frequencies for mics or IEM's, just radios used by production crews. A show of this nature has about 75 different departments (i.e. hospitality, security, lighting, rigging, wardrobe, video, etc etc etc...)

Last edited:

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
And This Is Just One Company

Hate to burst your bubble but this equipment is not only digital but utilize encryption standards & are actually "owned" & in robust use by not only the aforementioned well known, established & very revered groups but many other extremely popular & globally recognized Country & Western, Country Rock, Rebel Rock, Southern Rock, Rockabilly, Rock & other socially acceptable mainstream entertainers unlike the low end budget equipment rap & hip hop singers probably "rent".

ULX-D Digital Wireless Systems | Shure Americas

Last edited:

briarbend

Premium Subscriber
I remember many years ago bringing my old Pro 2006 with me on a trip to New Orleans and from my hotel room hearing the Rolling Stones doing a sound check.

Heard them go through nearly a whole set of songs...

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
I will speak as an authority on the topic of wireless microphones and IEMs. I work for a major player in the live sound industry and personally maintain the systems that go into the field.

Wireless mic systems such as Shure, Sennheiser, Audio Technica (the big 3) have analog and digital systems. You'll be able to scan from 470 - 698MHz and hear any carrier available, WFM. Look for channels clumped in groups of 11 - that's how the frequency coordination software works. Search in the white spaces between DTV channels. Also if there is an analog wireless comm system such as Telex being deployed you'll typically find those up around 650MHz.

Now if the artist has more money than they know what to do with, they'll have something like a Sennheiser 9000 series system for mics which are digital and all you'll hear is noise.

There are a few encrypted systems which are mainly used for corporate board rooms but add a significant delay in audio so they're not widely employed in the live sound field.

None of this is an industry secret. Enjoy the info.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
I actually have a Telex system in my posession that I am repairing. When I get some time today, I'll snap some pics of the rack unit and beltpacks.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Wireless distribution rack with filters that I built for a client with 32 channels of wireless and another 32 channels of IEM.

I can't show you anything else but it was a doosie of a system to deploy.

Attachments

• 0518121214a.jpg
    0518121214a.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 702
  • 0518121213.jpg
    0518121213.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 616
  • 0518121226.jpg
    0518121226.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 656

ecps92

And the disclaimer of "YMMV" is needed
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Personally, I''ve run across NO Digital, Nor Encrypted uses
Doesn't mean they are not out there

Also it doesn't mean folks need to burst bubbles, as the game/hobby is finding stuff

Your posting reminds me of the "They are Encrypted, don't even try and listen" comments on the Federal forums. :roll: Hate to bust those bubbles, but some are not even P25, but still Analog and lots of fun to listen to :twisted:

We now return you to the Concert Network :D

Hate to burst your bubble but this equipment is not only digital but utilize encryption standards & are actually "owned" & in robust use by not only the aforementioned well known, established & very revered groups but many other extremely popular & globally recognized Country & Western, Country Rock, Rebel Rock, Southern Rock, Rockabilly, Rock & other socially acceptable mainstream entertainers unlike the low end budget equipment rap & hip hop singers probably "rent".

ULX-D Digital Wireless Systems | Shure Americas

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I hate call to change the subject, but I was really hoping to get info. about LMR used by this tour...

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I'm gonna catch Garth & Trisha at the Bryce Jorden Center at University Park Pennsylvania on May 2nd which shall be called Redneck Day, I am also an ardent fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alabama, 38 Special, Pee Wee Trahan, Pink Floyd, Marshall Tucker Band, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Charlie Daniels, North Mississippi Allstars, ZZ Top, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams Jr. & David Allen Coe, usually the groups voice mics are set up by the local venues if they are using that particular venues in house audio system, if not then voice audio & the instruments remote audio links are usually handled by the groups instrument handler & are more then likely self contained within the groups stage infrastructure, the frequencies are very secret & probably heavily encrypted to the nines to prevent any chance of intentional interference which is a very real concern in the multimillion dollar per concert industry.
The BJC uses the Centre County P25 System, most likely on the PSU Ford Building Site.

ecps92

I've run across VHF Business band (MURS, Itinerants) as well as UHF (mostly Simplex), across the UHF bands, look at even what might be considered inputs for simplex use and of course the GMRS, FRS and DOT/STAR channels

I hate call to change the subject, but I was really hoping to get info. about LMR used by this tour...

SCPD

QRT
With the digital mics, wouldn't there be a very slight echo or is to low for humans to detect. I don't remember at what number of ms it is before the delay is noticeable. AES-256 encryption, little over the top in my opinion.

SCPD

QRT
It's possible they could be renting radios
and the services for comms in each concert city.
Good luck.

6 or so replies on topic out of 17. Wow.

It appears the op was talking about the audio infrastructure and the LMR equipment. So relax, nothing to be snobby about.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
update: well it was an awesome show, although I was quite disappointed they didn't hang video walls in the center of the building for folks like me who had 300-level seats. It would have also been cooler if they were in-the-round, but that configuration presumably would have taken up way more seats.

As far as LMR radios, I suspect the tour was using low-power Mototurbo or Nexedge in the FRS/GMRS band (presumably in simplex non-trunking mode?).

My 396XT doesn't cover the entire spectrum used by wireless mics & IEM's, but I did pick up a number of IEM channels between 470-512 Mhz. There was no encryption, although it's annoying to listen to IEM's and the PA for long periods of time because of the delay on the PA. Right before the show began, I heard garth talking to the production crew about Trisha's set; you could also hear IEM's used by guitar techs tuning guitars. Given that I was in the 300 level on the opposite side of the stage, I was WAY out of range from the IEM system's intended range, but I could still hear it remarkably well.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
In general,

Tours carry their own LMR radios and plenty of FRS type also. Same radios every day every city...a channel does not work in a town? there are extra channels. I suspect most are still analog. Usually UHF band 450-470Mhz.

Stadium tours MAY use repeater system for a channel or 2 that they carry site to site.

And what KC8ESL said...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.