FCC Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
I frequently use the FCC Callsign Search on the fcc website, however one thing I've always wondered is why is the tone used for the frequency never listed? does the user simply choose an available tone with their communications provider?

n5ims

I frequently use the FCC Callsign Search on the fcc website, however one thing I've always wondered is why is the tone used for the frequency never listed? does the user simply choose an available tone with their communications provider?

The tone isn't something controlled by the FCC. They don't care if you use one or not and it's not something that a licensee can even report to the FCC. An agency can freely change their tone(s) as often as they want, or even use multiple ones for different purposes (like have the supervisors have an additional "channel" on the same frequency but using a different tone so they can talk "privately"). It isn't foolproof (if a radio is programmed without any tone they will hear both).

The FCC only really cares about settings that may affect others, like frequency, emission modes, maximum power levels, antenna height, etc. What is sent on a channel (tone, encryption, etc.) or even how that channel is used (dispatch, car-to-car, PD, FD, Sewer Department, etc.) is not even reported (although the use must be in line with what they indicate they are used for in the most general level for that license such as "to coordinate city agency activities").

Status
Not open for further replies.