Yaesu: VX-6R

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

I have a yaesu vx-6r that I got off of eBay and noticed that it already was modified for out of band transmission. But when I try to input any frequencies in to just to listen too it wont allow it. I type lets say 151.820 it reverts back to the 2 meter or 440 mhz frequency I was already on. It seems to be just stuck on the ham frequencies only. I cant listen to any above or below the 2 meter band or the 440. I have reset it a few times and it doesn't help.
Any Ideas?
kb0vwg
wqoi992

khaytsus

Are you in the Main band? I know my 7R has restrictions on what it'll do on the Sub band, but it'll do anything on Main.

sloop

I have a VX-6R (unmodified) and to access a frequency I push the [V/M] key, enter the frequency, and it automatically goes to that frequency. If yours does not do that then I would guess one of two things have occurred. 1. Expanding the transmit coverage has deleted the ability to direct entry of frequencies. Can you change to the frequency you want by using the dial on top of the radio? I modified a FT-1900 for MARS (I was a MARS member) and lost some of the features that were menu items. I have not modified a radio since. or 2. who ever modified the radio 'mucked' it up and that is why they were selling it on e-bay. Your best bet is to call Yaesu tech support...they will be able to answer your specific questions 1-714-827-7600.

KB0VWG

Thanks

I have a VX-6R (unmodified) and to access a frequency I push the [V/M] key, enter the frequency, and it automatically goes to that frequency. If yours does not do that then I would guess one of two things have occurred. 1. Expanding the transmit coverage has deleted the ability to direct entry of frequencies. Can you change to the frequency you want by using the dial on top of the radio? I modified a FT-1900 for MARS (I was a MARS member) and lost some of the features that were menu items. I have not modified a radio since. or 2. who ever modified the radio 'mucked' it up and that is why they were selling it on e-bay. Your best bet is to call Yaesu tech support...they will be able to answer your specific questions 1-714-827-7600.

Thanks Sloop
I am able to turn the dial to any frequency in the ham band only, but it wont go below or above the 2 meter band. or the 70cm either.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

sloop

You might try resetting the microprocessor by:
1. Turn radio off
2. Press and hold in the [MODE(SP S)SQ TYP], [0(SET)], and [V/M(DW)MT] keys
3.Press the [F/W] key momentarily to reset all settings to factory defaults.
**Warning this will erase all programmed frequencies in memory!

KB0VWG

Multiple times

You might try resetting the microprocessor by:
1. Turn radio off
2. Press and hold in the [MODE(SP S)SQ TYP], [0(SET)], and [V/M(DW)MT] keys
3.Press the [F/W] key momentarily to reset all settings to factory defaults.
**Warning this will erase all programmed frequencies in memory!

Did that too a couple of times and still the same.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

mchart13

Hi I don't have my mod VX6R with me now, but I remember this happening to me and it was something very simply... did you try pressing the band button till you are in 144 band then try entering your out of "range" frequency. I'm trying to remember that if it was in 440 band it did not let you enter out of "range" frequency.
I'll continue to dig in my notes and memory.. but like I said it was something simple and silly

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Depends on how and who "modified" it. I have no problem using "band" key to access the bands that I want to monitor in VFO. Frequencies put into memory will monitor the wide spectrum of the VHF, UHF up to the 800 meg frequencies [have not input 900 megs]. Band key will bring up the HF frequencies, marine, etc.. Never used ebay as one cannot tell what junk is available or what the seller screwed up.

KB0VWG

Yep I did

Hi I don't have my mod VX6R with me now, but I remember this happening to me and it was something very simply... did you try pressing the band button till you are in 144 band then try entering your out of "range" frequency. I'm trying to remember that if it was in 440 band it did not let you enter out of "range" frequency.
I'll continue to dig in my notes and memory.. but like I said it was something simple and silly

Did that too, Lets say I am on 146.520 and decide to type in the vfo 151.940 and when i type in the last digit which is 0 in this case it automatically puts me back on 146.520. And the same for 446.000, I type in let say 462.550 and when I type in the last digit which is 0 then it switches me back to 446.000
kb0vwg
wqoi992

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Take a look at the step size that the VFO is configured for. On VHF, try changing it to 5 kHz and on UHF, try making it 25 kHz.

As a test, when you are on 146.520 and turn the dial knob, what frequency does it go to. If it goes to 146.525 or 146.515, then you should be OK as far as step size is concerned.

KB0VWG

Step size

Take a look at the step size that the VFO is configured for. On VHF, try changing it to 5 kHz and on UHF, try making it 25 kHz.

As a test, when you are on 146.520 and turn the dial knob, what frequency does it go to. If it goes to 146.525 or 146.515, then you should be OK as far as step size is concerned.

Yeah the step is fine its set to 5 khz and also on uhf its set to 25 khz and still no change.
I change the step size on vhf and uhf and it didn't make a difference.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Status
Not open for further replies.