PRO-668 Not receiving digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased the RS PRO-668 a few days ago and have not been able to receive any digital systems. First thing I did was entering my zip code (97322) and it populated just fine. It loaded the SW7 talk group but I noticed a few missing freq, So I updated everything using software preloaded on the sd card. That went smoothly but it still did not get the digital trunking system. So I took it back to RS and exchanged it. SAME problem on the 2nd one! So, I took it back again and wanted to get my money back. Because of the bankruptcy etc they would not do anything but exchange it. I'm now on scanner #3 and can't get it to work! I have several other scanners that receive it just fine (Pro-651). The conventional freqs work just fine, so I don't believe it to be an antenna issue (I have tried multiple antennas)

Every once in awhile it will stop on the digital freq but never any audio. I've made my own custom freq for that particular talk group but still nothing. I am wanting to listen to the Oregon Linn County talk group. SW 7 County Interoperable Public Safety Radio Partnership Trunking System, Eugene, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies

I keep thinking it is some little setting somewhere, but i'm at a complete road block. I loaded the Linn and Benton county towers.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Only one Talkgroup is encripted but all the others say testing. Have you looked in the Oregon forum to see if anyone in your area has more info.
Linn County Talkgroups

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
22001 55f1 D LinnSo Test Sheriff Testing Law Talk
22003 55f3 D LinnSo Test Sheriff Testing Law Talk
22005 55f5 D LinnSo Test Sheriff Testing Law Talk
22007 55f7 D LinnSo Test Sheriff Testing Law Talk
22009 55f9 D LinnSo Test Sheriff Testing Law Talk
22031 560f D ALB PD DISP Albany PD Dispatch Law Dispatch
22033 5611 D ALB PD TAC Albany PD Tactical Law Tac
22035 5613 D ALB PD Emg Albany PD Emergency Law Tac
22037 5615 E ALB PD Ch 4 Albany PD Ch 4 Law Talk
22701 58ad D LinnSo Test Sheriff Testing Law Talk

scosgt

Assuming there are digital signals available to be received, the only thing that comes to mind is that your settings are wrong in the software. You do have to tell the radio that a system is P25.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
"Every once in awhile it will stop on the digital freq but never any audio"

Enable AGC for each talkgroup even though it's enabled globally, it helped on mine. Also I have to have the squelch wide open.

scosgt

Go into settings and set everything to default (there is a menu item for that).
That seems to cure stuff.

scosgt

I was having some reception issues on a new 688. Traced them to improper/incomplete programming. Check your setup against the RR database here. The software may be be bringing it all in.

dkf435

One thing I have noticed with the 668 software, if you do not do the Standard Library import and do the ZIP code import, it stacks all the talk group IDs up in the 150- 170 playlist area. Most people do not go up that high and look for stuff store there and enable it.

Did the standard import into the playlist 1 and enabled and it is working.

David

Finally figured it out! The receiver was weak (evidently in all 3). I had to lower the data threshold down to 10 to hear anything. Decided to drive 40 miles and exchange it at another radio shack. This one works great. Thanks everybody for the help.

scosgt

The problem was in your programming. I had the same issue, now it is all cured.

nyscan

Can you guys be specific about what settings adjustments helped. What level did you set the data threshold, etc. Is that different from DSP Adapt?

scosgt

When I compared my 668 programming for the the Port Authority and New Jersey State Police to that of the PSR-800, there were missing freqs and talkgroups.
Remember, unless you insert a wildcard the scanner does an ID scan only like the old Uniden system.
Once I got all the TG's and Freqs entered, the reception was identical to the 800.

germwad86

Could you explain the Wildcatd function? I just bought the pro 668 and am in the process of programming it manually in the computer and using the zip code feature. Also, while "playing" playlists, if a freq or tg pops up I don't want how can I lock it out then unlock it later? It's ny first digital scanner and I haven't bought a new one in 9 years so I'm a bit out of the loop!

Status
Not open for further replies.