Statewide Database Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
For STATEWIDE systems (Indiana Safe T) The tower locations are all plotted with GPS information but what about the talk groups? I programmed Indiana Safe T into a 996p2 scanner connected up the GPS and drove North 50 miles. The scanner picked up the tower, but the talk groups all got locked out because they used the default GPS location (ie Vanderburgh CO in this case) KNOX County talk groups had all defaulted to the HOME or Default GPS location as I guess there is no information downloaded from RR about the talk group GPS info.

The question is can a center of each county GPS location be programed and downloaded from RR with ARC XT? Or does it just use default GPS location data when none is provided?

PJH

Premium Subscriber
It depends on how the state DB admin has the database setup. In my states, if talkgroups are regional, I made separate subcategories and give that category its own GPS range.

I cannot see how IN is setup in the backend, but I suspect that from the old database to the new database old default values may have been inherited so the ranges may all be off.

This also depends on how the agencies are setup and organized. In the beginning (before GPS aware scanners and software) you would put most information into one category and that worked well. Now, not so much. I've spent the last several months to a year reorganizing and GPS'ing most of the rocky mountains and Midwest states - and its VERY time consuming, but the end result works very well.

I'll put a post in our forum and maybe the admin there can take a look at it for you.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I will start looking at it, but please keep in mind that the current system is only going to be around for about another year or so. It is being upgraded to P25 and the current TG's will no longer be valid once the cutover begins for each phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.