US Marshals Setvice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasaronii

Premium Subscriber
Last night I picked up the US Marshals I don't know what TGRP sense k have them all programmed and couldn't grab the info fast enough. But they were talking for a long time and seemed digitized. Are they all on encrypted channels? If so i guess I should L/O them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnmoe1

Do scanners not have an option (or a default, for that matter) to not play encrypted audio? That seems like such an easy and obvious feature. Why would anyone ever want to listen to encrypted audio?

johnmoe1

The US Marshal talkgroups are not always encrypted. It is not uncommon for one or more radio(s) to be unencrypted. It is not terribly fun listening to only one side of a conversation, but it can be done.

KB7MIB

Do scanners not have an option (or a default, for that matter) to not play encrypted audio? That seems like such an easy and obvious feature. Why would anyone ever want to listen to encrypted audio?

Uniden scanners mute encrypted transmissions. GRE scanners do not. I don't know if Whistler has that option in their scanners, which are GRE-based.

John
Peoria, AZ

Blackswan73

The PSR-800, PRO-668, and Whistler has 3 options for encrypted transmissions.
1. Garbled noise
2. Silent
3. Tone (default)

You can also set volume level independent of the scanner volume

KB7MIB

Having this option should be standard on all future makes and models.

If you like to search around the bands for new (to you) active frequencies and/or search for new (to you) talkgroups on trunked systems, having the ability to allow encrypted or otherwise unsupported digital mode transmissions to pass through to the speaker so you know what kind of transmissions are occurring on a frequency/TG, is a good thing.

Then, once you've actually programmed a frequency or talkgroup into your scanning routine, you can select to mute any encrypted transmissions, but still allow any clear voice transmissions to pass through. Which would be helpful to catch activity on frequencies/TG's that have a mix of clear and encrypted transmissions on them, such as the USMS, or CBP/HSI, or even local agencies, without being annoyed by the encrypted garble.

John
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.