Habersham County DMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Note in the Habersham County database states the entire County has moved to a Moto TRBO system. Anyone have any frequencies on this? Nothing in the FCC Database showing a TRBO system.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Note in the Habersham County database states the entire County has moved to a Moto TRBO system. Anyone have any frequencies on this? Nothing in the FCC Database showing a TRBO system.

A couple of the frequencies are on the main Habersham County database page, with callsign and all. The description now says "Not Licensed." That's not right. Habersham County is properly licensed, they just happen to reuse Part 22 frequencies they bought. RadioReference elects not to include Part 22 in its FCC Database, even though many Part 22 frequencies are today used for regular land mobile two-way radio. See Part 22 Paging Channels - The RadioReference Wiki for details on this type of usage.

Search the real FCC ULS database using the callsign shown on the Habersham County page, and you'll see their Part 22 licensed frequencies are currently valid through 2024.

Remember, it just isn't true that a frequency is unlicensed (or expired) just because the RR FCC database says so. The RR FCC database is a subset of the real FCC database.

Dan

DanRollman

Database Admin
This, of course, is yet another reason why we shouldn't put much stock in what the RR FCC database says and should instead focus on what actual users are hearing and reporting, and including that in the database.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Remember, it just isn't true that a frequency is unlicensed (or expired) just because the RR FCC database says so. The RR FCC database is a subset of the real FCC database.

Dan

It looks like the Douglas County, GA DMR system has the same thing going on, except unlike Habersham and White counties, Douglas County hasn't (yet?) put the license in their own name.

Another common route on Part 22 frequencies is for a current user to 'lease' the frequency from the licensed user. It appears Douglas County is leasing 152.0825 from Great American Enterprise, Inc., which holds the Part 22 market license for it.

Dan

rapidcharger

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the reason they may be doing this^ (described above) is because I heard it was becoming difficult, if not impossible to get coordinated for DMR in the VHF public safety pool. (PW, not IG) So they're having to get creative with the frequencies.

That said, I thought Habersham was on UHF. I might be thinking of another agency. I do hear the VHF analog simulcast of their fire dispatch of their extremely garbly DMR system. It's in the same place it's always been.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I thought Habersham was on UHF. I might be thinking of another agency. I do hear the VHF analog simulcast of their fire dispatch of their extremely garbly DMR system. It's in the same place it's always been.

You're probably thinking of Jackson County, which has a MotoTRBO UHF system up that way.

Habersham County is definitely on a multi-site MotoTRBO VHF Connect+ trunking system with control channels on the frequencies listed in the database.

White County (including Cleveland and Helen PDs) are on conventional MotoTRBO repeaters.

All on Part 22 licensed frequencies, except Helen PD.

nunyax

I only starting trying DSD+ and DMRDecode a couple of weeks ago but this is what I have for Habersham County's DMR system so far.

Connect+ 4-site system, Network ID 196

Site 1
152.0525 (WQQD474 - CP - Mobile Communications of Hall)
152.5925 (WQTY959 - CP - Habersham Coumty)
152.7725 (WQQD476 - CP - Mobile Communications of Hall)

Site 2
152.5025 (WQQD475 - CP - Mobile Communications of Hall)
152.8025 (WQQD477 - CP - Mobile Communications of Hall)
152.2025 (WQTY958 - CP - Habersham County)

Site 3
152.8175 (WQQD477 - CP - Mobile Communications of Hall)
152.1500 (WPZG502 - CP - Great American Enterprise)

Site 4
152.7875 (WQQD476 - CP - Mobile Communications of Hall)
152.5175 (WQQD475 - CP - Mobile Communications of Hall)
152.2175 (WQTY958 - CP - Habersham County)

Obviously I'm still missing at least 1 frequency for Site 3. There may be others as well. I didn't specify control channels for each site because they change periodically. I haven't heard anything on the frequencies for Habersham's WQUS827 CP license (152.645-152.675.)

The good thing is they aren't encrypted.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
I only starting trying DSD+ and DMRDecode a couple of weeks ago but this is what I have for Habersham County's DMR system so far..."

System added to database. Thanks!!!

jack3726

This post is somewhat dated, but have a couple of questions.

1) Why would such a rural area need such a discrete system
2) They are simulcasting fire and ems, any other simulcast that might not be referenced
3) How are these DMR systems being utilized for interops or do they have some other radios to perform these functions.

JRayfield

VHF public safety frequencies are 'full' almost everywhere in the country, so it's getting harder and harder to get VHF frequencies coordinated for any mode of operation, including analog repeaters. MOTOTRBO Connect Plus systems also require at least one 'exclusive' or 'protected' channel (FB8) at each site, and it's especially hard to get these in some parts of the country on VHF public safety frequencies. The Part 22 frequencies are ideal for FB8 stations.

John Rayfield, Jr.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the reason they may be doing this^ (described above) is because I heard it was becoming difficult, if not impossible to get coordinated for DMR in the VHF public safety pool. (PW, not IG) So they're having to get creative with the frequencies.

That said, I thought Habersham was on UHF. I might be thinking of another agency. I do hear the VHF analog simulcast of their fire dispatch of their extremely garbly DMR system. It's in the same place it's always been.

Premium Subscriber
This post is somewhat dated, but have a couple of questions.

1) Why would such a rural area need such a discrete system
2) They are simulcasting fire and ems, any other simulcast that might not be referenced
3) How are these DMR systems being utilized for interops or do they have some other radios to perform these functions.

Loaded question but I'll try to give you an answer, Narrow banding butchered things in NE GA per say. I believe there were some conventional fixs that could have been used but DMR proved to be just as cost effective once Jackson county GA proved it could work in public safety...snow balled from there. Add to it the moto folks have some great sales people..just saying.:cool:

Only the fire page/response is simulcast in these counties everything else is not and most law enforcement is encrypted to boot. ( as far as I know)

As far as I know they use a motobridge to talk between agencies but have not heard of this even being an issue as of yet.

jack3726

I had figured what you had written to be the case, was not aware of the narrow banding issue. I will have to see if I can find some references to the Jackson County item. So DMR is inexpensive, ok. Figured there to be some bridge as you point out, thank you for the replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Won't matter they are encrypting law enforcement.. you may get a fire TAC channel or 2 but all those scanners will do is force the radio admins to check the encryption box and your back to square 1.

It is already happening, I heard the talk today at a radio shop, when the firmware gets upgraded next, so will the ENC in the radios and in the repeaters on several systems in the area...

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Habersham County DMR

I travel through Habersham County quite regularly and could not disagree more with the statement above, Habersham's DMR system is "....extremely garbly....". I listen to it everytime I pass through and it could not be clearer!!

DanRollman

Database Admin
I travel through Habersham County quite regularly and could not disagree more with the statement above, Habersham's DMR system is "....extremely garbly....". I listen to it everytime I pass through and it could not be clearer!!
Yes, typical of digital, it either sounds terrific or nothing. It always sounds great when I listen to the Habersham MotoTRBO system on my CS750 DMR scanner, but I do occasionally hear Habersham SO deputies checking out at locations where they say the system doesn't work on their handhelds and telling the dispatcher to call their cell phone as needed.

I guess it is a waiting game now to see when Habersham goes encrypted. White County recently switched to encryption to keep local taxpayers from knowing what their sheriff, fire and EMS authorities are up to. There's this funny little continuous stretch of governments from Gwinnett, to Hall, and on up to White county where the local officials are afraid of the citizens hearing of their activities live. I guess Neal Walden is one of those scardy cats. Fortunately, most other counties in Georgia aren't so afraid of their citizens knowing what's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.