700/800 mhz digital antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Pierce County and was looking for suggestions for a mobile mag mount antenna to put on my vehicle that can monitor Pierce County's 700 mhz digital system and also the city of Tacoma's 800 mhz digital system. Any help would be great. Thanks :)

SCPD

QRT
Louie, if you want cheap and inexpensive... this is supposed to be a pretty good deal:

http://www.amazon.com/SpectrumForce-Wideband-Antenna-Mag-Mount/dp/B00C3JYZY8

Just note that it seems to come with a SMA male adapter now, so you may need an adapter depending on which scanner you use it for...

There are higher quality products. If you can't drill holes in your vehicle for NMO mount, then buy a NMO mag mount -- and then you can use various NMO antennas.

I use the Laird Scanner antenna...

ABSCANCS - Antenex Scanner Antenna w/Spring (150/450/800 MHz, Receive only Gain, Black)

WPS also sells the Laird NMO mag mount. So roughly $58 + $40 for complete Laird package.

Here's the mag mount:

http://www.wpsantennas.com/gb8xbian...ootwith12rg-8xcablebncmalecrimpinstalled.aspx

Again, the Spectrumforce does work but its quality is somewhat questionable.

Thanks for the reply! I was going to use it on my uniden 436hp. I get decent coverage of southsound 911 system, but would like to pull it in more when I'm driving around. Also Tacoma's system doesn't reach too well,out here in Gig Harbor. It's spotty.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the reply! I was going to use it on my uniden 436hp. I get decent coverage of southsound 911 system, but would like to pull it in more when I'm driving around. Also Tacoma's system doesn't reach too well,out here in Gig Harbor. It's spotty.

Looks like the Spectrumforce might be your best bet. It's cheap and comes with SMA connector installed (per that review.)

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have used the Laird Technologies TRAB7603 with a mag mount for several years and it has worked perfectly everywhere I have been. I have yet been able to find a dead spot. It is a plastic Phantom antenna, no rust or noise and low clearance. I have even used it on the rear inside deck of rental cars and it has worked well.

SCPD

QRT
With your laird antenna how does it perform overall and who do you monitor with it?

The Laird is top quality and performance. The scanner model I posted has a 5dBi gain when mounted to a proper roof-mounted NMO base. I would guess if you can put the Laird mag mount in the middle of your trunk lid or center of your roof then you would likely get similar results.

I can monitor anything with it. I use it with my 996XT scanner.

BTW, it's only about 18" tall. With my Durango, it can still sometimes cause issues with parking garages. It's very tough though and has taken a beating when I can't change it out ahead of time. (I use a simple UHF 1/4 whip which is only 7" tall in those cases.)

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I have used the Laird Technologies TRAB7603 with a mag mount for several years and it has worked perfectly everywhere I have been. I have yet been able to find a dead spot. It is a plastic Phantom antenna, no rust or noise and low clearance. I have even used it on the rear inside deck of rental cars and it has worked well.

Dude you're in Ohio! We have these things called mountains here. The Phantoms are a joke here in this region.

I had the Phantom (the blade style) and it was terrible.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I have the Spectrum Force mag-mount mentioned in post #2. It's a good antenna, especially given the price point. I like that it's reasonably small and has a thin, flexible coax. I've seen others complain about quality issues, but I've had none. It is a wide band antenna, and does a good job in that role, but if all you're wanting to monitor is 700-800 MHz, then you would get better results from an antenna designed for that range.

Status
Not open for further replies.