Unitrunker not recognizing RTL2832U Dongles

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
On a brand new installation, I cannot get Unitrunker to recognize the two RTL sticks I have installed. SDRsharp and all other RTL utilities work just fine with both sticks.

Specs are:

Windows 7 Profession SP1
Unitrunker v 1.0.30.10

I have two other RTL sticks that show up as bulk interfaces and they work fine with Unitrunker, but these two sticks aren't recognized by Unitrunker.

See attached screenshots. Ideas? Help!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 827
  • 2.png
    2.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 926
  • 3.png
    3.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 784

SCPD

QRT
Wow.

That's weird.

With the program running, when you plug the RTL stick into an open port and click the refresh tool button, it should appear in the drop-down list (and the RTL2832 button on the add-receiver dialog should be enabled).

Even if SDR# or some other program is currently using the device, it should be visible.

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I tried another computer (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit) and those sticks work fine with Unitrunker, so this must be something borked up on this current computer.

Strange indeed...

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I haven't responded because I don't recall exactly what I did to fix the issue, but I had this problem with my Win7 laptop a few weeks ago. I don't recall if I simply swapped the dongle to a different USB port, or uninstalled them, or un-and-re-installed Unitrunker.

One problem I did encounter on my vacation was that no program would see the dongles if I had them plugged into an external (powered) hub. I didn't examine that issue too extensively - I wanted to try uninstalling/reinstalling the hub and then trying the dongles again, but I never got around to it.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I haven't responded because I don't recall exactly what I did to fix the issue, but I had this problem with my Win7 laptop a few weeks ago. I don't recall if I simply swapped the dongle to a different USB port, or uninstalled them, or un-and-re-installed Unitrunker.

One problem I did encounter on my vacation was that no program would see the dongles if I had them plugged into an external (powered) hub. I didn't examine that issue too extensively - I wanted to try uninstalling/reinstalling the hub and then trying the dongles again, but I never got around to it.

This put my on the right track. All four of my dongles are plugged into an external USB 3.0 hub.. moving those two dongles to direct ports on the computer resolved the issue.

Strange.... maybe Unitrunker is having problems enumerating USB sticks on hubs...

Thanks for the help Jay...

thegriff

Premium Subscriber
The problem could be USB 3.0. I've read a few places sayi g they will not work with 3.0. Of course this is negated if you plugged them into 3.0 ports.

My two, sometimes three, sticks run off one 2.0 hub.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Unitrunker can not see the dongles when connected thru the USB hub at all, whether the hub is powered or not.

EDIT: I should mention that SDR# can see the dongles (or at least one of them) thru the hub just fine - and I made sure to shut down SDR# before trying to run UT.

Zadig shows WinUSB as the driver for the dongles.

Thinking out loud... the USB hub shows "iusb3hub" as its device driver in Zadig.

To boot, I'm getting that problem again where the dongles (the new blue R820T2 Nooelec devices), when I do get UT to see them, are causing a crash to desktop of UT when I set them to "running".

Trying a reboot for that issue, will discuss it elsewhere.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I just ran into this with my new USB 3.0 hub, so I'll put this here to keep an eye for resolution...

Status
Not open for further replies.