Pro-668 in Md.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triangulum

Guy posted that the LOng Island NY store is selling them for $99.... I am checking our stores tomorrow!

Edit: According to scosgt, one guy bought the remaining 20 from the store and they will be "appearing on ebay soon."

Some of the RS stores have been selling it at $150 and others here have been fortunate to get them between 150-200 on eBay the past few days. Now we've learned from ThePhotoGuy that some third-party sellers have it around the 200 range on Amazon. At the moment the listings on Amazon are not actual Amazon inventory, but third-party.

Last edited:

marksmith

How different is the iScan software from the EZScan?
I would snap one up at $200 if it used the same software as my PSR-800.

Mark
BCD536HP/HP-1E/HP-2E/BCD996XT/BCD396XT(2)/BCD996T/PSR-800/PRO96+

marksmith

By the way... the PSR-800 does great on p2 systems in Maryland so I aee no reason that the 668 wouldn't.

Mark

baybum

New 668

I'm not one of those "spewing with ego" types, but I found two in Laurel for 99,99, just by chance, making a call.
Assuming it does PG and FIRST, CMARC, and the Ft. Mead stuff...

I promise this won't be the "newbee thread from Hell", but is there any way to keep the back light on until you turn it off?

There will be more. Is there a better place to ask these programming questions?
Is there someone around me that would give 15 minutes to show me some basic stuff, face to face?
I'll buy you as many beers until it takes me to grasp the basic concepts.
My schedule can be flexible. I'm pretty scanner and programming savvy. But it's nice to see another one working as I do mine.

Thanks all,

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'd start with the RS forum, then if there is one (probably is by now) the 668 Yahoo group if you don't get anyone local...Mike

awal

How different is the iScan software from the EZScan?
I would snap one up at $200 if it used the same software as my PSR-800.

Mark

No difference except the software for the 668 refers to scan sets as play sets, but - no difference fundamentally. And the software is loaded on the sdCard included with device in zipped format.

marksmith

No difference except the software for the 668 refers to scan sets as play sets, but - no difference fundamentally. And the software is loaded on the sdCard included with device in zipped format.
Thanks. Based on some of the comments about being able tp take CDAT folders from the PSR-800 and copy them to the 668 card and some other things I went ahead with a purchase.

Need another scanner like a hole in the head but can't pass up a P2 capable radio this cheap.

Dumping these on the market is not helping the future sales of either Uniden or Whistler.

Mark

awal

Thanks. Based on some of the comments about being able tp take CDAT folders from the PSR-800 and copy them to the 668 card and some other things I went ahead with a purchase.

Need another scanner like a hole in the head but can't pass up a P2 capable radio this cheap.

Dumping these on the market is not helping the future sales of either Uniden or Whistler.

Mark

You are most welcome, sir. Like you - I did not need another one, but tis deal is too good...I got one from a store in Forestville, and I declare - they must have had 20-25 there. I'll swing by today and see if they have any left.
What you can do is take your 800 and upload configuration into iScan :)

baybum

Interested in seeing how other people set up their radios...
Anybody in Md/De. wish to share their CDAT files?

marksmith

You are most welcome, sir. Like you - I did not need another one, but tis deal is too good...I got one from a store in Forestville, and I declare - they must have had 20-25 there. I'll swing by today and see if they have any left.
What you can do is take your 800 and upload configuration into iScan :)
I wanted to see what differences there were in the software, so when it came today I took the time to install that, updrade it to the latest version, get the latest DB, and then program it as an identical match to my 800.

Most was just pulling systems from the database, but also uploaded radio id's... the whole works. Seems they went to the trouble of doing a one word search and replace in different places in the software but there is no difference at all in the end.

Then took a good long 2-hour walk and gave it a good listen to a few sites including one P2. With the exception of the slightly different tint to the screen display, and some aesthetic differences.. none of which matter.... its an 800. One that I got for a heck of a lot less than the original. In fact...

This was the third scanner I purchased as a result of the RS bankruptcy. Got a 652 and a 396xt (last on the store) along with this P2 capable one online. All for less than one of them would have cost me a few months ago.

Mark
536HP/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT
996T/396XT(2)/PSR800/PRO668

marksmith

Nothing that I noticed, but it updated the iScan software as part of my getting started. As an EZScan user it probably just updated it to what I am familiar with. I didn't see any "what's new" bullets.

Mark

baybum

OK, I'm sometimes hesitant to "upgrade" a perfectly good working radio.
Anyone want to share their CDAT's?

marksmith

Anyone been to any Anne Arundel Radio Shack locations to see if they have any/price?
Any of the ones on AACo that would be on this mode went away a month or so ago.

In early Feb, got 2 digital scanners for under $180.00 each at Marley Station. 652 and a 396xt. The next day the store was gone.

After that, checked Rt 2 Severna Park, Rt 2 Pasadena, Rt 2 by the MVA all a month ago and their prices are higher than the RS site and I think are franchisees. None had any scanners except Severna Park. Also checked the one in Annapolis mall. Some bargains but not on scanners a month ago. The store in Arundel Mills has been gone for over a month. No deals at the one in Odenton or Waugh Chapel last week.

Talked to the manager at the Columbia Mall store a month ago who told me his store was going to be a designated clearance store... probably the best bet around unless Annapolis got that same designation. All the closing stores were to ship their stuff to a point and it would be shipped out to the clearance stores. These would be charged with liquidating inventory.

Mark

marksmith

OK, I'm sometimes hesitant to "upgrade" a perfectly good working radio.
Anyone want to share their CDAT's?
This was am upgrade to the iScan software application, and the database. The 668 itself had current firmware and DSP version out of the box.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.