A few thoughts and pointers on the 668

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosgt

Now that I have had a chance to play with one for a few days, here are some findings:

1. The display is more blue tinted than the PSR-800 or PRO-18 (I have both). I have several, they are all the same. Nor a problem, I personally like the more white display better but it is fine.

2. There are a couple of firmware glitches, which will probably never be addressed:
a. The S meter does not work by default, and every time you change the card it will stop working. Just go into settings and click on DEFAULT, that re-enables the S meter (and of course re-do all your settings too).
b. On occasion when you turn it on it will ask for the band plan. USA of course.

3. You can copy your PSR-800 config by simply copying the CDAT files into the 668 directory. This includes V scanners. Everything seems to work fine.

4. The included antenna sucks. You may have better results with a Diamond 77 than with the Radio Shack 800 MHZ antenna.

5. The software is a little glitchy. It may not import all the control channels and TG's for some reason. If you are not hearing what you expect, compare your programming with the RR database. I had an error that was preventing reception of two systems. Once corrected, the radio works great.

6. They do come with 4 Gig cards, not 2G. I am able to run a 16 gig with no issues.

7. The build feels a little cheaper than the PSR 800. Different plastic. Just feels cheaper. But for the current price, who cares!

Hope this helps some new owners.

scosgt

Not if you compare it to a PSR 800. It feels cheaper compared to that.

marksmith

Do if the software is a little glitchy and I want to keep it the same as my PSR-800 anyway... can I get around using it by just copying the CDAT files of the 800 onto the 668 card?

Mark
BCD536HP/HP-1E/HP-2E/BCD996XT/BCD396XT(2)/BCD996T/PSR-800/PRO96+

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
So how does it perform on digital in comparison to the PSR 800. I have lots of simulcast P25 Phase 2 systems in my area.

TAbirdman

Do if the software is a little glitchy and I want to keep it the same as my PSR-800 anyway... can I get around using it by just copying the CDAT files of the 800 onto the 668 card?

Mark

If you use the CDAT folder from any other unit (GRE800, WS-1080, Pro-18) the S meter will not work correctly. Placing the SD card into a reader first, you need to open the CDAT folder and delete the .glb file. The unit will automatically rebuild this file and use the correct defaults.

marksmith

Sounds easy enough. Can stay with one software application if this works out. Probably need the iScan for firmware though and, if any. Since the darabase is not part of the cdat folder I presume need to also use iScan for database downloads?

Mark

scosgt

If you use the CDAT folder from any other unit (GRE800, WS-1080, Pro-18) the S meter will not work correctly. Placing the SD card into a reader first, you need to open the CDAT folder and delete the .glb file. The unit will automatically rebuild this file and use the correct defaults.

EXCELLENT. Thanks for figuring that out. I think most all of my setups were based in some way on the 800. So setting default in settings probably deletes that file.

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
I notice also from the whistler and RadioShack they change the BNC connector. They when to better gold plated BNC connector that looks more sturdier on the Whistler, not sure how it would affect loss. Do agree the plastic seem better on the GRE and whistler and RadioShack one has a cheaper feel. Could just be different and they did it to match the finish of RadioShack other GRE rebadge scanners. Bothe came with 4gb cards and not 2gb like the GRE.

RadioShack

Whistler WS1080

Last edited:

zzdiesel

Mark
Thanks, my S meter and my LED aren't working at all. I'm fixing to do your suggested fix.

nyscan

I notice also from the whistler and RadioShack they change the BNC connector. They when to better gold plated BNC connector that looks more sturdier on the Whistler, not sure how it would affect loss. Do agree the plastic seem better on the GRE and whistler and RadioShack one has a cheaper feel. Could just be different and they did it to match the finish of RadioShack other GRE rebadge scanners. Bothe came with 4gb cards and not 2gb like the GRE.
retro...Since you have both maybe you can check something for me. The 1080 comes with a swivel belt clip. Is that clip able to be put on the 668? If it is we could do a little upgrade to our 668's by buying that part from Whistler.

NYG

Is anyone having problems with the LED? I've programmed a few channels using the different pattens offered in the software. It's not coming on at all.

Yesterday I was trying to get a LED to light for a particular talkgroup but I was doing it through the scanner, not the S/W. It was just a simple test.

At first it just didn't work and then I noticed you have to configure a color for the LED. Some of those options might be more obvious in the S/W but it may make sense to review the settings directly on the scanner too.

scosgt

Sounds easy enough. Can stay with one software application if this works out. Probably need the iScan for firmware though and, if any. Since the darabase is not part of the cdat folder I presume need to also use iScan for database downloads?

Mark

So then if I copy the .glb file from the SD card back to the CDAT folders the problem should be resolved?

zzdiesel

Yesterday I was trying to get a LED to light for a particular talkgroup but I was doing it through the scanner, not the S/W. It was just a simple test.

At first it just didn't work and then I noticed you have to configure a color for the LED. Some of those options might be more obvious in the S/W but it may make sense to review the settings directly on the scanner too.
Thanks, that makes good sense. I'll check it.

rwier

Is anyone having problems with the LED? I've programmed a few channels using the different pattens offered in the software. It's not coming on at all.

See the attached screen grab for demonstration purposes. I purposely did the screen grab while the "LED Sample" rectangle (center-far-right) was in it's blue phase. It is actually blue for a half second and then black for a half second, repeating indefinitely. This controls the 2991 TG only. Probably need to click on the "Set" button to activate. Notice that the color sequence can be saved for use with another TG.

Attachments

• ezscanLED.jpg
    ezscanLED.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 812
Status
Not open for further replies.