Mt Mitchell State Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOU

Premium Subscriber
Can someone tell me how to monitor the Park rangers, and other operation at Mt. Mitchell State park? I got the frequencies for the Blue Ridge Parkway off of the RR data base, but I could not find the ones for the State Park.

Thanks

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
Input to 159.420 repeater is 151.250 and PL is 186.2 (both sides).
State park units are dispatched by the new Blue Ridge Parkway comm centre at Parkway HQ.

SOU

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. Is this information listed in the data base? If so under what?

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
I didn't check RR database. This is from an old spread sheet I personally developed a few years ago; I think the freq data came from PerCon Corp discs and the tone info from monitoring.

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
I reviewed my spread sheet and found the column where I normally typed the FCC call sign was blank. I checked the FCC database and could not find a license for this location, expired or active. But the entry of the PL code indicates that I have personally monitored it. Perhaps some RR members in the area could listen and report.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I reviewed my spread sheet and found the column where I normally typed the FCC call sign was blank. I checked the FCC database and could not find a license for this location, expired or active. But the entry of the PL code indicates that I have personally monitored it. Perhaps some RR members in the area could listen and report.

Could this be it?

WNLL909 (North Carolina State Parks) FCC Callsign Details

Marshall KE4ZNR

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
More info

Apparently, the call sign was WNGX352. License expired some time in 2001 and was not renewed. The FCC record showed this to be a base station and not a repeater, so I am now unsure of my information.

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
Could be, Marshall, thanks. Looks like they may have system-licensed several locations including Mt Mitchell (Clingman's Peak).

SCPD

QRT
Yes it is WNLL909 several other parks use to use the same repeater too. Also some state parks activity may be on VIPER as well as they have 800mhz antennas on their trucks.

WA4MJF

It was said above that they use the Feds system, that would be in the NTIA database,
not the FCC.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I heard traffic on the frequency last week but wasn't paying attention to tell if it was for Mt Mitchell or not. I do know the ranger at mt Mitchell was carrying an XTS when I was up there last weekend and have heard them call in on the BRP system to run registration and license checks.

I'll listen next week and double check the PL tone. I'm sure I won't have any issues hearing Clingmans down around Charlotte.

SCPD

QRT
I heard traffic on the frequency last week but wasn't paying attention to tell if it was for Mt Mitchell or not. I do know the ranger at mt Mitchell was carrying an XTS when I was up there last weekend and have heard them call in on the BRP system to run registration and license checks.

I'll listen next week and double check the PL tone. I'm sure I won't have any issues hearing Clingmans down around Charlotte.

800's are Mt Mitchell and Lake James are in the 900's but I think they have their own repeater now. Generally speaking park operations are conducted on their own system 159.240 or 159.420 (or 159.870 in the case of Chimney Rock as it is privately managed). SP rangers will use the local SO (or BRP in the case of Mt Mitchell) for things that require access to the DCI network as they don't have their own terminals

Last edited:

SD70MAC

I have heard them tell the BRP dispatch what the weather is in analog on 172.725 or 172.750(cannot remember which frequency).

robkermit

Mt. Mitchell Rangers have Kenwood VHF radios in the vehicles. Not sure what frequency they use for in-park ops, however.

They do, from time to time, use Yancey County frequencies (since the park is within Yancey County) to talk to law/fire/EMS.

155.370 Law
155.085 Fire/EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.