Marine radio in aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcole

I watched a rerun of "Flying Wild Alaska" last night.
While they showed the control panel of the Cessna the young
lady was flying I noticed a marine radio mounted in the plane.
It was set to channel 88.

How do they get away with that ?

pcole

aircraft use..

The plane having the radio was wheels only but the use for search and rescue makes sense.
Channel 88 is for port use but I suspect they use it for chit-chat.

pr4367

There are shore stations that provide services of one type or another to boats that can use marine radio frequencies. Must be the case.

TheLokes

Many pilots include a marine radio as part of their "emergency kit". You just never can predict when you might want to listen or talk to someone in an emergency.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
It is not uncommon to find marine radios used on land in Alaska especially in small villages where there is little communication infrastructure. Yes, its illegal, but the reality is that in remote locations no one will hear or care. The radios are relatively inexpensive and weatherproof.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
It is not uncommon to find marine radios used on land in Alaska especially in small villages where there is little communication infrastructure. Yes, its illegal, but the reality is that in remote locations no one will hear or care. The radios are relatively inexpensive and weatherproof.

I can't comment on the legality in Alaska. As stated above if involved in search and rescue could be authorized. One thing to remember about no one will hear or care: a radio transmission from an airplane can be heard for 100 or more miles and the higher up they are, the further the reception. Thus, if used improperly, could be interfering and then someone will care.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I can tell you from living in Alaska that things are different up there.

Every asset available gets used in Search and Rescue, private and commercial aircraft included.
Legality issues might be there, but most don't really care. It's not a "thumbing noses" at the law thing, it's that the reality of life in Alaska is much different than the rest of the USA. FCC rules that might make perfect sense in the other 49 states might not there. Not saying that it's OK to break the rules, just that it's a whole different environment.

nd5y

There are several VHF marine frequencies listed in Part 87 "For communications with ship stations under specific conditions."
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

87.175 (c) Aircraft public correspondence service on maritime mobile frequencies may only be carried by aircraft stations licensed to use maritime mobile frequencies and must follow the rules for public correspondence in part 80.

Voyager

The plane having the radio was wheels only but the use for search and rescue makes sense.
Channel 88 is for port use but I suspect they use it for chit-chat.

Some small planes have the OPTION of changing out wheels for pontoons, so just because it had wheels does not rule out water landing capability.

Also, Alaska has some exemptions of FCC rules, so that's another possibility.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
If you watch the NATGEO show Wild Tuna, you will see one of the harpoon boats using an airplane to spot the tuna for the boat. So I would also guess that it happens a lot more but as long as it doesn't cause interference no one will say a word.

PACNWDude

Like said before, it is very common in Alaska, or many other places aircraft talk to ships. A previous job of mine had me doing this as well. It is smart to use low power if the ship is in site, but most people leave it in 25 watts anyway.

I have seen marine VHF, legal or not, installed pretty much everywhere possible. Restaurants, aircraft, trucks, hot air balloon and of course vessels on the water. One marine in my area, there is a guy with a red Silverado with dive stickers all over and he keeps a marine radio to keep contact with his vessels and dive crews. He probably gets hassled at least once a week by someone asking if he is legal.

ecps92

Status
Not open for further replies.