Palo Pinto County new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I don't live there any more and don't know what this is all about. I didn't know there was an emergency services district. It must be new. They applied for a STA with several new frequencies in several new locations including UHF repeaters and UHF point-to-point links. Some of the existing repeaters are on this application and moving to different locations.
ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Conventional - 0006723067 - PALO PINTO COUNTY EMERGENCY SERVICES DISTRICT #1
Looks like it has been dismissed.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Strike 2. Application returned.

These applications are confusing me...

Palo Pinto already have licenses for many of these frequencies, which appears to be why these licenses are being rejected... Since they're already coordinated, I don't understand why they're attempting to file for Special Temporary Authority to operate on those frequencies...

w5suf

Premium Subscriber
Palo Pinto County ESD #1 Applications Explained

Hi Folks,

Indeed, the rash of apps, STAs returned, dismissed, etc. HAS been a confusing thread. Bottom line is the ESD#1 is constructing a new 5 site, linked VHF conventional analog system for Fire, EMS, and Emergency Management purposes. We re-purposed several under-used frequencies that were licensed to "Palo Pinto, County of", but since the Palo Pinto County Emergency Services District #1 is a separate entity, new coordination and licensing was required.

The STA filings were initially dismissed, re-submitted, then returned again...due to numerous technical reasons, all of which were eventually corrected. We are currently operating under the STA while various "Letters of Concurrence" were being obtained, and while a great deal of testing happens. The final LOC required has since been obtained, and the application for the actual license was accepted by FCC on 4/30. It has already cleared several reviews, and to the best of our knowledge is in the final approval stage for grant status. At least we HOPE so! :)

To address a couple of questions mentioned earlier: . No, the ESD #1 has nothing to do with the various other ESDs that were/are seeking voter approval for establishment within Palo Pinto County. ESD#1 is the entity that collects ad valorem taxes county-wide, distributing and funding all of the County VFDs. This new communications system was constructed for their benefit. It ties all 5 sites together via full-duplex UHF terrestrial links to form what we are calling "FIRENET". A user simply selects the closest site or best signal to him, then his transmissions are heard through ALL of the other sites simultaneously. It is specifically designed for HELD HELD radios, given their relative lack of ERP and consequent range. We also have the ability to separate any site from the network into a stand-alone mode, OFF of the linked arrangement, should tactical needs or multiple incident response dictate.

The other reason we didn't utilize the existing "Palo Pinto, County of" licenses was to legally enable all of this system linking, placing the entire operation under one authorization.

The last two sites will become operational in the next few weeks, hopefully about the same time the final grant of authority to operate is issued. Right now, we are still in test mode, with no subscribers on the system. About the only thing you will hear on any of the frequencies in the sound of my boring voice, talking to myself on one radio, while listening on another, doing range testing from just about every location across the county.

Hope the above is informative. Feel free to ask any questions!

Thanks,

Mike Simpson
Communications Coordinator
Palo Pinto County Emergency Management
Palo Pinto County Emergency Services District #1

Last edited:

w5suf

Premium Subscriber
Fixing things...

As someone once told me "Always try to eat the elephant one bite at a time." :)

40 years of mis-steps and mistakes will hopefully take a LOT less time to fix, now that there is someone dedicated to doing so.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if they added those just in case there is a repeat of the 2011 wildfires. Hopefully, that won't happen, but a hot dry summer, after some winter rains, leads to more growth and fire potential after dry, hot, weather sets in. There's already been several rounds of fire weather warning. 'red flag' fire warnings, in the area so far this spring.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Mike, have fun being the one stop shop!

Worse part of license applications is the @#$%^& Java applet!

Welcome to 2000 extremely buggy software......that is slower than molasses in Prudhoe Bay in FEB.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.