Help with Radio choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd8azk

Hello, I have been out of the game for a bit and am curious which unit you would chose out of these: BCD996T or the BCD996XT. I need one of these because I need the remote control with the BC-RH96 in my vehicle. Or is there something out there I am not aware of? I will mostly listen to MPSCS, Fire/EMS and aviation. Thank you in advance!!!

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I would go with either the 996XT or the BCD996P2. The 996XT has more memory than the 996T and has a few more features. The 996P2 is the newest, it's the same as the 996XT but will handle P25 phase 2 if it ever comes to Michigan. The 996P2 also has a USB port on the front panel instead of the proprietary plug that the 996T and 996XT have.

marksmith

The 996p2 is not compatible with the RH96 remote so you had the right two radios to start. (996T and XT)

You will probably pay as much for the 996T as the XT if you can find one and the XT is a much more capable radio. Neither will dp p2 but nothing p2 is compatible with the RH.

Choosing between T and XT - get the XT. There is a nice wiki here somewhere on RR that compares them. XT has a lot more features.

Mark
BCD536HP/HP-1E/HP-2E/BCD996XT/BCD396XT(2)/BCD996T/PSR-800/PRO96+

kd8azk

Thank you everyone for your input. I guess I am shocked how there are no real choices for a radio with a removable face. The RH96 is hard to find these days... Maybe it's time to look at a handheld that will do P2 just in case. Decisions, decisions....

Last edited:

Triangulum

The Whistler 1095 will have a removable face. I can't tell you with any certainty the release date though. Its been pushed back since last year into this. The last rumored date was May, but there is no use on betting on that.

Last edited:

a29zuk

Been using the 396T for the last 10 years in my vehichle. The quick keys make it conveniant to use in your car or truck. One touch of a key will turn a system off or on without taking your eyes off the road for more than a second. The XT has more features so it would be a good bet to go with.

Jim

krokus

Premium Subscriber
With MPSCS going to Phase II, at some point in the not too distant future, I would suggest a model that decodes it.

If you don't mind a handheld, instead of the remote head mobile, the new 325P2 has been getting some nice reviews.

Sent via Tapatalk

a29zuk

With MPSCS going to Phase II, at some point in the not too distant future, I would suggest a model that decodes it.

If you don't mind a handheld, instead of the remote head mobile, the new 325P2 has been getting some nice reviews.

Sent via Tapatalk

Been out of the scanner loop for a while. I didn't know about the 325P2. After looking at it, it may be my next scanner down the road. Not a big fan of the SD cards on the x36 models.

Jim P.

marksmith

The Whistler 1095 (mentioned above) with what appears to be a remote head type of mobile install and also has phase 2 digital decoding has now been announced. The date given now for retail sale is June 2015.

Like the Uniden radios that contain the US/Canadian database they also use an SD card but there does not seem to be quite as many issues reported with the Whistler radios.

This could be the phase 2 remote head installation. Its the only phase 2 with this type of mobile install.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
One thing to keep in mind... If you are going to be listening to simulcast sites, your listening experience will likely be fairly poor. The 436/536 do a much better job, but that rules out the remote head that you want to use.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
One thing to keep in mind... If you are going to be listening to simulcast sites, your listening experience will likely be fairly poor. The 436/536 do a much better job, but that rules out the remote head that you want to use.

Unless he is traveling, that should not be much of an Issue. Not much on the MPSCS over in Kent County. They are all still on VHF. Everything in Kent County MPSCS wise is all single site.

Status
Not open for further replies.