XTS 2500 or BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWarlock

Okay so I think I have narrowed down my search for a new scanner/radio to the BCD436HP or XTS2500.

I am looking to monitor Toronto Public Safety (https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=738) all fire talk groups and Mississauga Fire talk groups and city of Mississauga talk groups (https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7475)

If I go with a XTS2500 I also want it to be able to switch to channels to hold on a different talk group. (example I am monitoring Toronto Fire Dispatch and a call goes out for South Tac 3 I dial to the channel on my radio for south tac 3.)

what do you guys recommend? I know the XTS2500 is rugged and louder. I have never used the BCD436HP or the XTS2500

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
xts2500

The biggest advantage to the xts is not louder, but the ability to properly decode P25, especially simulcast. To do what you want will require it to be programmed, and unless you have some good official reason for the needed information, you are probably going to find it hard to get. You must also be absolutely sure that it is impossible to transmit, even with an accidental push of the button. Your radio can be turned into a brick if it associates with the official system through an accidental transmission.

TheWarlock

The biggest advantage to the xts is not louder, but the ability to properly decode P25, especially simulcast. To do what you want will require it to be programmed, and unless you have some good official reason for the needed information, you are probably going to find it hard to get. You must also be absolutely sure that it is impossible to transmit, even with an accidental push of the button. Your radio can be turned into a brick if it associates with the official system through an accidental transmission.

So would you be recommending the Uniden as I don't have to worry about it associating with the system and they are much easier to program as I don't need all the info.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
As Jaspence said here, the better choice is the XTS2500. A commercial radio IMHO will always outperform a scanner for a specific system. Also as Jasp has said, programming will be hard to come by, I have a older XTS with the programming cd and rib cable and box. Yes absolutely make sure the TX is disabled, or you will have the men in black knocking at the door lol. If you do go the commercial radio way, talk with Forts, or Muxlow, they are very knowledgeable with these radios.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
xts2500 or

I have both the GRE 800 and a BCD396xt. I have been using scanners since the first crystal models came out in the early 1980's and I prefer the menu system used in the former GRE (present Whistler) scanners. I would choose the scanner for the way you intend to use it. I have an 800 Mhz XTS3000 and an EF Johnson 5100, and the scanner is far more flexible in use on multiple systems.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Do you have someone to program it for you or can you do it yourself?

I have seen both the scanner and the XTS monitoring the same things, the MOTO radio sounds better but not so much to make me pick it over a scanner.

The 436 is an impressive scanner, you can literally monitor anything monitorable.

And as mentioned, make sure it is inhibited to transmit, I have also seen what happens when a radio is inhibited, you are then going to have to get it programmed again.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
XTS2500 = Better quality reception speaker.
Limits.. 1 system/10 talkgroups at a time (cant flip between Toronto/Peel).. can ONLY hear 800mhz or OPP NOT BOTH
Difficult to find someone to program .. *may* not be able to hold on a specific talkgroup the way you want (its technical/beyond my knowledge). NO PHASE 2... the Peel system is Phase 2 running in Phase 1 right now.. If they go Phase 2 in the future you WONT be able to hear them on an XTS, . Expensive batteries/chargers accessories

BCD436HP = More flexible, can monitor multiple systems/scan thousands of channels, can record/playback, can scan OPP, and Toronto/Peel all at ONCE. Can get Phase 2 talkgroups for future compatibility. AA batteries.
Has all available frequencies in NORTH AMERICA pre-programmed.. just enter your postal code or zip code if you travel (even to texas) and your scanning.
Not as great sounding or perfect reception like the XTS...

The 396XT series in my opinion was easier to HOLD on talkgroups and scroll to another talkgroup... but that is my own opinion.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
XTS2500 is obviously great for decode digital decode quality, but has limitations as mentioned above.
I find the x36HPs to have the best digital decode quality of any scanner (non-commericial) I have ever owned. For all the systems I like to monitor in the Los Angeles area, I would need quite a few XTS2500's, and getting them programmed would be a hassle.
The BCD436HP is a great scanner, great flexibility, very good decoding, built-in databases, recording, and other features. I highly recommend it.
Steve AA6IO

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
And remember, if you go with the XTS you need programming software, cables and system keys for the systems you want to monitor. Not impossible to get but you will get smacked pretty hard if you are asking for that stuff on a public forum. Then there is the issue of actually knowing how to program the radio.... If you don't know what you are doing you can get yourself into trouble pretty darn quick. I would highly recommend the scanner to start with, it should suit the bill nicely.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
XTS2500 = Better quality reception speaker.
Limits.. 1 system/10 talkgroups at a time (cant flip between Toronto/Peel).. can ONLY hear 800mhz or OPP NOT BOTH
Difficult to find someone to program .. *may* not be able to hold on a specific talkgroup the way you want (its technical/beyond my knowledge). NO PHASE 2... the Peel system is Phase 2 running in Phase 1 right now.. If they go Phase 2 in the future you WONT be able to hear them on an XTS, . Expensive batteries/chargers accessories

BCD436HP = More flexible, can monitor multiple systems/scan thousands of channels, can record/playback, can scan OPP, and Toronto/Peel all at ONCE. Can get Phase 2 talkgroups for future compatibility. AA batteries.
Has all available frequencies in NORTH AMERICA pre-programmed.. just enter your postal code or zip code if you travel (even to texas) and your scanning.
Not as great sounding or perfect reception like the XTS...

The 396XT series in my opinion was easier to HOLD on talkgroups and scroll to another talkgroup... but that is my own opinion.

Yes can hear them if they go Phase 2 on a XTS I listen to Mississauga Fire in Phase 2 on a XTS and XTL but if they go enc doesn't matter what you use your dead.. My money go with a Moto far better sound quality and maybe cheaper then the uniden if you shop around. My 2 cents....

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Yes can hear them if they go Phase 2 on a XTS I listen to Mississauga Fire in Phase 2 on a XTS and XTL ..

I'd be willing to bet a big hunk of money that you are not hearing them in Phase 2 on an XTS or XTL.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I'd be willing to bet a big hunk of money that you are not hearing them in Phase 2 on an XTS or XTL.

I can't see them running Phase 1 and 2 at the same time so i wouldn't bet the farm on that one. Unless they have dropped PRP to phase 1 but enc.. But i could be wrong But i know when PRP was in the clear and Phase 2 i would hear them on the XTS.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I can't see them running Phase 1 and 2 at the same time so i wouldn't bet the farm on that one. Unless they have dropped PRP to phase 1 but enc.. But i could be wrong But i know when PRP was in the clear and Phase 2 i would hear them on the XTS.

Looking at the RR database I see no TG's labeled as "T", I only see "D" and "E". Have you confirmed with something like PRO96Com that they are actually Phase 2?

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I only use Motorola's so i have no idea, i am basing on what you guys post here that the system is in fact phase 2. I just know what i have received with my equipment.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
XTS and XTL absolutely do not do Phase 2 (APX will). Mississauga Fire is using phase 1 currently, however the system is *capable* of Phase 2.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Well yes and no. Like I mentioned its Phase 2 capable but its not currently being used (Phase 2 systems are backwards compatible with Phase 1). Normally you'd see non-emergency services use Phase 2 as the audio quality leaves something to be desired vs Phase 1. If its used I'd expect to see public works, transit etc etc in Phase 2.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
But yet the guys all posted here that PRP were in phase 2 mode and yet my radio was getting them when they were in the clear .. So i guess they were all wrong too...

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Don't know about that one... The last time I checked the system with UniTrunker (last December) PRP were Phase 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.