• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dispatch UIDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Can someone explain why individual dispatch positions in a TRS have their own unique UID? I thought that if each dispatch council is wired into the system a UID would not be necessary. Obviously that thought is wrong, so what is the story?

kd8eee

Premium Subscriber
Even though they are "wired" into the system, console positions must be treated like any other user of the TRS as far as security goes. Depending on the permissions given to them by the administrator in the UCM (or provisioning manager in starting in Astro release 7.13), they might not have certain capabilites like the use of certain talkgroups, etc.

Because of the way the system is designed, the system knows to give that specific ID priority over any other traffic on the system. All IDs on a system are assigned a priority number of 1-10 with 1 being the highest. You cannot program a subscriber (mobile or portable) higher than a 2. Only consoles can be assigned a priority 1.

The Astro systems of today, in my opinion, are WAY over-built when it comes to security and redundancy. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but there are certain things like what you mentioned that make you wonder "why did they do that"?

ecps92

Depending on the TRS, it is not just each Console Position, but each Console Position on each available Talk-Group

ie:
Console 1 might have an RID of 1 on TG 1, 3 on TG 2, 5 on TG 3 and 7 on TG 4
Console 2 might have an RID of 2 on TG 1 4 on TG 2, 6 on TG 3 and 8 on TG 4
add additional consoles connected to the Central Controller and the list grows

Now add to the Confusion
What you might think as a Console is actually a closet full of Radios stacked on top of each other, remoted back to a console and each Radio has it's own RID

Can someone explain why individual dispatch positions in a TRS have their own unique UID? I thought that if each dispatch council is wired into the system a UID would not be necessary. Obviously that thought is wrong, so what is the story?

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Reason their being so many Dispatcher ID's is because a lot of the newer Dispatch Centers are bigger and their are more Dispatch positions, so the Dispatchers spread out so they're not on top of each other. At least this is how it is in my area.

SCPD

QRT
The old Motorola Gold Elite console need a different RID for each talkgroup available to then. Have a console with 32 selectable talkgroups, that's 32 RID's used. This adds up quickly and may cause a RID shortage. The newer MCS7500's only need one RID for every talkgroup that the dispatcher can access.

This has been a concern on the ARMER system here as more agencies are requesting radio id's.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
I'm not at all upset by all of these console IDs, I find them important to see the activity of the systems I monitor. I'm heavy on tagging all the UIDs I can. I wish that scanners could read the signaling of conventional radio systems. I'd be able to tag them as well.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Now add to the Confusion
What you might think as a Console is actually a closet full of Radios stacked on top of each other, remoted back to a console and each Radio has it's own RID

Not sure if you were just throwing that out as one possibility, but that is not always true. Certainly in some cases, yes, the console uses control stations. But in a Harris system, the console can connect directly to the IP core. I'm not familiar with Motorola trunking to know if they have direct IP consoles. But the web page for the MCC7500 implies they are also direct IP.

Voyager

Depending on the TRS, it is not just each Console Position, but each Console Position on each available Talk-Group

That was fixed in later firmware updates so a console can have the same UID on all TGs - just like subscriber units.

ecps92

Yes, without knowing the system being talked about, these are all the Options that have been seen/observed first hand. I'm sure others will chime/chirp in with their first-hand observations/information as well. Like any system, We are Hobbyists and part of the hobby is learning about your systems you listen to. YMMV always occurs, as does Murphy :p

Not sure if you were just throwing that out as one possibility, but that is not always true. Certainly in some cases, yes, the console uses control stations. But in a Harris system, the console can connect directly to the IP core. I'm not familiar with Motorola trunking to know if they have direct IP consoles. But the web page for the MCC7500 implies they are also direct IP.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Generally, the main issue regarding console IDs is this: all individual stations requesting channel grants or other system access on a TRS must have a UNIQUE identification number. Without each one being uniquely numbered for the system controller to identify, the controller will not be able to assign a channel grant or an affiliation. Even with systems where the consoles are connected directly to the controller, it still has to assign individual channel grants and allow affiliations by tracking unique IDs. It's not even a question of security, it's more a question of architecture, as that's just one of the basic building blocks of TRS construction.

I hope that answers the question effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.