Return my 436 and 536 Clock Batteries dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

genemalet

Lifetime Member and RadioReference Board Member
How do I go about returning both my radios for repair? They both don't charge the clocks. I know their are several threads but want to get a straight answer on what we should do. I don't have time to read through a million threads.

I charged for a week and the clock dies out. This is ridiculous!!

First the headphone hiss then the Siren app took forever to come out and now the clock batteries are useless. What a crappy design...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We will be issuing a firmware update to resolve this issue for most applications soon. At this time, we do not have a repair procedure to address this, but are continuing to study. When we have such a repair available, I will post the information.

XTS3000

When you say "soon" are you talking about normal time frame (1 week) or Uniden time (14+ months)?

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
When you say "soon" are you talking about normal time frame (1 week) or Uniden time (14+ months)?

This one is going to take awhile. Uniden has to come come up with firmware that will allow the scanner to operate without a time file structure by bypassing the internal clock. I would imagine that the Sentinel software would need updating too.

Then comes the hardware fix .....exactly what this is is unknown.

What I don't understand is that if this is only effecting a small percentage off scanners, why not just offer a replacement ?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I have it running in beta, now, for the 536. A couple of minor adjustments needed, then we'll release it. Hopefully within a week.

xrorx

Premium Subscriber
My 436 has worked perfect for a year and now it has the clock reset problem. Yes, I ran it for 50 hours straight to charge the mystery cell but to no avail. Uniden, you have a major recall on your hands. I don't want a software patch, I want the clock working for time stamping of recordings.

XTS3000

What I don't understand is that if this is only effecting a small percentage off scanners, why not just offer a replacement ?

Have the feeling it's way worse than we're being lead to believe.

Out of 6 436HP owners I know, 5 have the clock issue. We all bought our 436HP's the day it was released in Jan 2014. The 6th person hasn't taken his scanner out of the box. None of us had any problems until this month, when they all seemed to fail at almost the identical time.

Pssst, Uniden, it's the battery that's the defective part, not the charging circuitry.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Have the feeling it's way worse than we're being lead to believe.

Out of 6 436HP owners I know, 5 have the clock issue. We all bought our 436HP's the day it was released in Jan 2014. The 6th person hasn't taken his scanner out of the box. None of us had any problems until this month, when they all seemed to fail at almost the identical time.

Pssst, Uniden, it's the battery that's the defective part, not the charging circuitry.

Not trying to derail this thread, but mine purchased at the same time as yours started having clock issue in the last 30 days also. The previous 12+ months it was great.

kwd57

Not trying to derail this thread, but mine purchased at the same time as yours started having clock issue in the last 30 days also. The previous 12+ months it was great.

Mine also has been fine for the last year and has recently started asking to set clock.

osiris

436 clock issues

Hi all,
Well I thought my 436 was one that did not have this issue,but oh well, it does.
Yesterday morning I turned it on & it wanted the clock set. It worked fine all day (turned it off & back on a half dozen times).
Then I turned it on this morning & same thing. Then off & on several times & it was fine. So I guess time will tell. Seems to be only when it is off overnight.
As a side note, since I don't use the recording very much, I wonder if it's possible in a firmware update to make the clock setting optional? I imagine others might find that useful as well. Just a thought & my 2c.
By the way, mine is just about a year old.
Bob

Last edited:

Blackink

Lemon Law.....'nuff said!!

There are basically 3 sets of laws (Lemon Laws) that apply to all defective vehicles and products that are purchased in the United States of America:

1) The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a Federal Law that protects the purchaser of any product that costs more than $25, in addition it must come with an express written warranty.

2) The Uniform Commercial Code or UCC has been adopted in all 50 states and covers contracts dealing with the sale of products

3) ( The third sentence doesn't apply to the point I'm trying to make here in this thread as it just summarizes about information and links you can click on to read further about this subject).

Lemon Laws are American state laws that provide a remedy for purchasers of cars and other consumer goods in order to compensate for products that repeatedly fail to meet standards of quality and performance.

And now someone's gonna come on here and tell me that all of these 436/536 scanners have repeatedly met standards of quality and performance.

Hogwash......

And let's not forget about what WAS promised with these scanners that was listed right on the box they were sold in and still haven't been developed or created yet.

I, too, was all gung-ho about wanting to buy one of these scanners when they first came out. I'm glad I didn't and I won't be buying one of them in the future.

I'm sorry to say, for Uniden's sake, that a lot of people that spent good money on these 436/536 scanners probably won't be buying any more Uniden scanners because of this debacle.

Uniden, you should do yourself a favor and reimburse the folks, who have had problems with these scanners or are just tired of waiting for things promised that never appeared, that want their money back who purchased these scanners and........File the loss under the Lemon Law !

Triangulum

I'm sorry to say, for Uniden's sake, that a lot of people that spent good money on these 436/536 scanners probably won't be buying any more Uniden scanners because of this debacle.

I'll just say this.....

I was in the market recently looking for a base scanner. I re-familiarized myself in the forums and then later made an account on here to directly probe further.

I ended up going with the 536hp. Experimented with it, tested it out and was satisfied with the performance. As we all know, scanning variability and effectiveness can be very location-specific. And for a base scanner in the location that it is in for my use, the 536hp has been performing admirably. I could have easily returned it if it underperformed relative to my expectations and its role for me as a base scanner.

Time will tell if I run into any issues in the future. But from strictly a performance standpoint, I have no gripes. This post has nothing to do with trying to make light of the frustrations of early adopters or those who have more recently run into some issues. I know the feeling and I've been there before with other products.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
I got tired of waiting and just took my 436 apart. However, I can't find the battery. I wonder if it's under a shield?

Last edited:

Voyager

Lemon Law.....'nuff said!!

There are basically 3 sets of laws (Lemon Laws) that apply to all defective vehicles and products that are purchased in the United States of America:

1) The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a Federal Law that protects the purchaser of any product that costs more than $25, in addition it must come with an express written warranty.

2) The Uniform Commercial Code or UCC has been adopted in all 50 states and covers contracts dealing with the sale of products

3) ( The third sentence doesn't apply to the point I'm trying to make here in this thread as it just summarizes about information and links you can click on to read further about this subject).

Lemon Laws are American state laws that provide a remedy for purchasers of cars and other consumer goods in order to compensate for products that repeatedly fail to meet standards of quality and performance.

And now someone's gonna come on here and tell me that all of these 436/536 scanners have repeatedly met standards of quality and performance.

That's fantastic news. That means I can return all my VCRs for a replacement of the clock that starts blinking on and power failure. Microwave ovens, too, and diswasher, and perhaps more. :lol:

mancow

Database Admin
Wasn't there a post here somewhere that had a picture of the clock battery after someone opened a 436 or 536? I can't find it.

kwd57

I got tired of waiting and just took my 436 apart. However, I can't find the battery. I wonder if it's under a shield?

I hope you post your findings, but I don't think Uniden has ever said that the problem is a bad battery. I think the problem may be much more involved.

It would be nice if Uniden would let us know what the problems really are with the 436/536 scanners,since there seem to be some pretty smart people on this forum that might be able to help.

They treat these issues like they are a matter of national security.

mancow

Database Admin
I found the picture but it was a 536. I am looking now and I see nothing in the 436 like the little battery in the 536. I suppose it could be under the large CPU shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.