Not open for further replies.

LAFD33

Is the Chicago police going digital or remaining analogue

also are they any plans to encrypt communications

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
CPD does not use APX dual band for the run of the mill beat cop.. XTS3000's and 5000's They were using analog Saber 1E til narrowbanding a few years ago. CFD is using XTS5000's and the Battalion chiefs and squad officers are using APX7000 UHF2/VHF for mutual aid

SCPD

QRT
After hearing the audio no wonder he never got into law enforcment. You'd think he was shot by way he sounded. First clue was no uniform unit Id call out. What possessed him to do this? How did he get the repeater input tones? It didn't sound like a direct talk around deal sounded like he was hitting the repeater.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
After hearing the audio no wonder he never got into law enforcment..

In the words of Dave Hester from Storage Wars...yuuuuuuupp!

How did he get the repeater input tones?

Gee...I have no clue...maybe....RadioReference.com? Or plenty of other websites?

It didn't sound like a direct talk around deal sounded like he was hitting the repeater.

He was very much into the system. I heard the sounds of a weak signal (most likely the result of some turdy Chinese crap portable) being bounced through a comparator, and the sound of the 2175Hz tone clicking in at the end.

And obviously he had to be "into the repeater" as you put it because his audio was heard by other users and the dispatcher, and captured on their audio logging system.

SCPD

QRT
This should serve as a warning to others not inhibiting tx On frequencies Not authorized for. He probably had mindset "I work closely with law enforcment" pffff so I'm doing a good deed. As seen he also got arrested. Reminds of the newer hams coming along mostly the doomsday ones not in reality of any hobby just wanting a "prep radio" saying "I want there repeaters programmed so if anything ever happens". Bad idea and personally in common sense why would you want to utilize a repeated channel when most likely everyone and his uncle is listening to all them ps repeaters in that fantasy scenerio? Hmmm illegal and not logical.

Squad10

That's because no current Baofeng/Anytone/Wouxun/Chicomm radios sold on Amazon/Ebay support MDC1200. :roll:

Probably no FCC ID label too. Years ago, I put lots of MDC1200 encoders/decoders into Puxing PX-777 handhelds. They work really well. Maybe I should offer them for sale on ebay. Lol

KX4KDH

Database Admin
He was very much into the system. I heard the sounds of a weak signal (most likely the result of some turdy Chinese crap portable) being bounced through a comparator, and the sound of the 2175Hz tone clicking in at the end.

Yessir, I heard the very same thing.

And on top of that, I'm betting he was transmitting in 25khz...

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Probably no FCC ID label too. Years ago, I put lots of MDC1200 encoders/decoders into Puxing PX-777 handhelds. They work really well. Maybe I should offer them for sale on ebay. Lol

Nice would be a bored moment hobby end to work on and have for the collectors edition. I have a old px777 never used it but interested in your little mod. I'm a bit of a radio hoarder in collecting and never using some The low brand ones.

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
Just another fool

We've all seen and hopefully not experienced the security guard type " cop wannabe's" they come in all shapes sizes and mentalities. Majority have issues that would eliminate them from any public safety service.

Just another fool that causes local/state governments to consider and empliment encryption. in public safrpety comms

Squad10

We've all seen and hopefully not experienced the security guard type " cop wannabe's" they come in all shapes sizes and mentalities. Majority have issues that would eliminate them from any public safety service.

Just another fool that causes local/state governments to consider and empliment encryption. in public safrpety comms

"cop wannabe's" lives matter.

SCPD

QRT
That's because no current Baofeng/Anytone/Wouxun/Chicomm radios sold on Amazon/Ebay support MDC1200. :roll:

Yep, you hit the nail right on the head. I am just surprised this does not happen more often on analog, conventional systems like Chicago, New York City, Dallas, etc...This guy is a prime example of a whacker. Unfortunately it's now allot easier to pull this crap off thanks to the influx of cheap radios from the far east.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
CPD does not use APX dual band for the run of the mill beat cop.. XTS3000's and 5000's They were using analog Saber 1E til narrowbanding a few years ago. CFD is using XTS5000's and the Battalion chiefs and squad officers are using APX7000 UHF2/VHF for mutual aid

Upgrading Districts now to APX 7500. 8th District received their APX 7500 about 6 weeks ago. Their will be a mix of XTS 5000 and APX 7500's in use. New programming, including the new Zones. A-B-C switch to change channels etc. All narrowband, wideband eliminated from new radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.