Former Camden City EDACS System Gone P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wow I think I just stumbled on something very interesting. So before I confuse anyone just understand that the former Camden city EDACS system uses some of the same frequencies as the Galloway, NJ site of the Atlantic County Public Safety EDACS system. So the other day I noticed a P25 control channel on 853.7000 and assumed it was a reused frequency from the Galloway EDACS site now being used for the new Atlantic County P25 system. I programmed it into both my BCD436HP and PSR 800 and noticed that there was never any traffic on it except for encrypted activity on TGID 431-434 with UID's in the 5008xxx range. Now understand that over in Atlantic County there is a Mays Landing site of the new Atlantic County P25 800 system carrying a patch for the Galloway PD. It is Phase 2 P25 audio. Yet I never noticed that coming in over what I thought was the Galloway site at control Channel 853.7000. So I investigated a little further. I monitored that new "Galloway Site" alone on my PSR 800. The only traffic I was picking up was TGID 431-434 encrypted traffic with those same radio IDs in the 5008xxx. I noticed an odd frequency coming up with it at 852.7875 which is NOT part of the old Galloway site from the EDACS system. Could it have been used on a new Atlantic County P25 system? Sure. But I noticed those radio IDs look exactly identical to the Camden Police Radio IDs on their encrypted channels TGID 431-434 on the CAMDEN COUNTY PUBLIC SAFETY system. It got me thinking...what if I'm hearing Camden Police traffic and not Atlantic County??? So I tried an experiment. I got my 436 and parked it on the CAMDEN COUNTY PUBLIC SAFETY system encrypted TGID 431. Simultaneously I parked my PSR 800 on the new site CC 853.7000 on TGID 431. Anytime I heard traffic on the Camden County System TGID 431 and saw a Radio ID come up, I would also hear traffic on my PSR 800 on the new site with the identical Radio ID coming up! So, did Camden City revive their old EDACS system as a P25 system that simulcasts the Camden Police??

Septa3371CSX1

I'm having a little bit of trouble reading your post as lines are fusing together in my mind - try to break out your posts into paragraphs in the future to make it easier for others to dissect. :)

In terms of the Camden City EDACS now being P25 - is it Phase 1 or Phase 2? I don't believe you mentioned which one it is. I know the Camden County system is 100% Phase 2. The EDACS system could have been turned into a P25 recently and merged into the county system to reduce the workload on the main simulcast channels.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the confusion! It's a little hard because I'm doing this with a phone. Anyway the encrypted audio on this new system is Phase 2.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I can hear that control channel loud and clear here. Interesting in deed.

Perhaps like mentioned something local in the city was added onto the existing system. The database only lists one TG for the city police. When they were on edacs they had 4 channels just for patrol and then others for vice and other stuff and they were hopping with activity all day and night. I can't see how the entire metro division operates on one TG on the new system. There has to be more.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
There are at least 4 talk groups for Metro Division - all in the 43x range.

I guess the database here needs updating. It only shows one TG, 431. Not that anyone can listen to them.:(

Also I just fired up unitrunker on this control channel and it appears this is part of the Camden county P25 system. Its showing site 001-002 with System ID 3B4 and WACN of BEE00. The site channels are 851.1625, 851.7375, 852.7875, 853.1875, 853.700, 851.7375, 852.7875. Like mentioned TG's 431-438 are lighting up along with the mentioned radio ID's by Policefreak. Nice find.

Last edited:

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Got a strong CC decode in Evesham and Mount Laurel along Rt 73. That's a long way from Atlantic County. A much weaker CC decode at home in Berlin. closer to Galloway and further from Camden.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
After watching this new site and the existing Camden county system site side by side for the last hour or so with Unitrunker it is apparent that this new site is exclusive to Camden County Metro Police. No other talk groups are showing up and no other radios are affiliating with this site. See my post above for the new site information I got from Unitrunker.

ampulman

About a week ago on a whim, I turned on the old Camden County Edacs system on my 396T to see if there was any 'municipal' activity. In 'search' mode, there were no signal bars, nor obvious activity.

I pressed hold and could hear what sounded like a weak control channel, but definitely not a typical EDACS system. The scanner locked on 853.7000.

I tried alternately enabling and disabling the hold and would occasionally lock on an odd frequency. Tried it now and am locked on 860.9875. As before (and now), I occasionally hear audio. Since I am not trunking, the audio is brief and far between transmissions.

When I did this last week, I would sometimes see TGIDs which on checking, were not found in the database for Camden city.

Amp

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Anyone hearing any activity on the old Camden co police zones at all? Sure do miss listening to Camden co :(

The DPS channels light up once in a while, not much activity though. They have their new encrypted toys and they are using them.:(

ampulman

Interesting. 860.9875 is supposed to be a frequency from the DRPA EDACS system.

Checked frequency today and hearing transmissions clearly identified as belonging to DRPA (Patco), with words 'Woodcrest' and 'Ferry'.

Trying to figure out why I'm locking on this frequency (as described earlier) while in Camden City system. Checked database for Cam City and it lists 860.9875 as a frequency. Go figure!

Amp

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Checked frequency today and hearing transmissions clearly identified as belonging to DRPA (Patco), with words 'Woodcrest' and 'Ferry'.

Trying to figure out why I'm locking on this frequency (as described earlier) while in Camden City system. Checked database for Cam City and it lists 860.9875 as a frequency. Go figure!

Amp

860.9875 was a channel on the old Camden city Edacs system. The Camden city Edacs system has been off line since early last year when the switch to the new county system was made. 860.9875 is currently one of the channels on the DRPA Edacs system so it makes perfect sense that you're hearing DRPA traffic on there. I believe these two systems and possibly the Cherry Hill Edacs system were (are) all inter-connected in some way.

ampulman

860.9875 was a channel on the old Camden city Edacs system. The Camden city Edacs system has been off line since early last year when the switch to the new county system was made. 860.9875 is currently one of the channels on the DRPA Edacs system so it makes perfect sense that you're hearing DRPA traffic on there. I believe these two systems and possibly the Cherry Hill Edacs system were (are) all inter-connected in some way.

I still have the Camden system in my 'T', so when I 'lock' on the frequency (within the system), I hear DRPA. As an experiment, I then entered the frequency manually. Resulting audio was muffled and not understandable (not encrypted). I also entered a couple of other DRPA frequencies, with same result.

I have never gotten to entering the DRPA system in my 396T and wonder if it's capable of decoding it (Networked system).

Amp

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I still have the Camden system in my 'T', so when I 'lock' on the frequency (within the system), I hear DRPA. As an experiment, I then entered the frequency manually. Resulting audio was muffled and not understandable (not encrypted). I also entered a couple of other DRPA frequencies, with same result.

I have never gotten to entering the DRPA system in my 396T and wonder if it's capable of decoding it (Networked system).

Amp

You should be able to monitor the DRPA system if you're within its limited range with the exception of the bridge cops. They use encrypted pro voice I believe.

Monoxide16

Hey skypilot007 quick question, sorry if I asked this a while ago do u know what happened to the bridge Maintenance TG? Never hear anything they used to be very active during the morning now nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.