MARCS IP switchover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goaheadover

Banned
Is the MARCS IP Switchover still going to be completed by March? Haven't heard OSP on the new system yet... anyone know if they will be staying un-encrypted?

budevans

ctpd845

Feed Provider
I would guess that OSP must have a solution for their issue with the mobile repeaters. The MARCS website states that the old MARCS will be shut off by the end of April, suggesting that everybody, including OSP has to be off the old MARCS by then.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I have heard that the old system would stay active until OSP gets their problems resolved.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

ctpd845

Feed Provider
I have heard that the old system would stay active until OSP gets their problems resolved.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Which makes sense. I was only saying that it looks like OSP has a fix for their issue being that MARCS is advertising that the old system could be shut off by the end of April.

budevans

Which makes sense. I was only saying that it looks like OSP has a fix for their issue being that MARCS is advertising that the old system could be shut off by the end of April.

OSP has a mobile repeater interference problem. The have applied to the FCC for an STA to test several new frequencies. Plus they are also looking to test several new mobile repeater models.

I've seen posts suggesting that MARCS and OSP have had discussions about keeping several MARCS (Moto Type II) sites active in the problem area's beyond the cut over date, until the mobile repeater problem is resolved.

For everyone else, the cut over is the end of April.

ctpd845

Feed Provider
I wonder if there will be as great of a need to have the mobile repeaters with MARCS-IP as there is with the old MARCS. By my count the old MARCS has 176 sites in the database with only one simulcast site in Columbus. MARCS-IP has 180 sites in the database with 10 simulcast sites.

There are still a few sites that have not been confirmed online and are not in the database. Also there are several more counties that will have partnership sites that will be added to the system in the future. This should mean better coverage throughout the state and lessen the need for the mobile repeaters.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
A lot of Columbus area still on MARCS. Bexley, Gahanna, Whitehall, and New Albany Police, plus all of Medflight.

I don't see OSHP giving up their repeater portables but ctpd845 you make a very valid point. I don't know if the portable coverage is better on the new system or not.

Last edited:

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
There has been a Cincinnati site for quite sometime now. It has never been networked or turned on that I know of. But Hamilton Co just approved 14.5 million dollars to upgrade there sites to join MARCS-IP. They should switch sometime this summer.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Unless you buy them all new handhelds, they still need a repeater - which is actually a Vehicle Range Extender (VRE) . I don't follow your logic of better coverage negating the need for VRE's

ODNR also uses VRE and I believe most Wildlife Officers also have hand held for in the field.

I wonder if there will be as great of a need to have the mobile repeaters with MARCS-IP as there is with the old MARCS. By my count the old MARCS has 176 sites in the database with only one simulcast site in Columbus. MARCS-IP has 180 sites in the database with 10 simulcast sites.

There are still a few sites that have not been confirmed online and are not in the database. Also there are several more counties that will have partnership sites that will be added to the system in the future. This should mean better coverage throughout the state and lessen the need for the mobile repeaters.

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
There will still be a need for VRE'S on IP for areas of the state only covered by single towers in a county that don't already have a simulcast partner.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Hamilton County has used portables-only since their analog 460 MHz. days and has never used VREs..

If they upgrade their existing 15 sites to the IP system their coverage should be fine.

Currently there are only two IP sites in operation and both are far north and west, North Bend and Dunlap, which I doubt they could clearly reach with a mobile from downtown.

Last edited:

ctpd845

Feed Provider
Unless you buy them all new handhelds, they still need a repeater - which is actually a Vehicle Range Extender (VRE) . I don't follow your logic of better coverage negating the need for VRE's

ODNR also uses VRE and I believe most Wildlife Officers also have hand held for in the field.

Why would they all need new handhelds?

And how do you not follow the logic that better system coverage would negate the need the VRE's. VRE's are meant to boost the signal from handhelds in poor coverage areas.

Also how is ODNR not having the same problems with the VRE's as OSP is. ODNR has been using MARCS-IP now for a few months in this area. Or has ODNR stop using the VRE's on MARCS-IP due to better system coverage.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Methinks you do not know what a VRE is. They do not boost the signal from a handheld, they are a low powered transmitter designed to xmit from the vehicle xmiter to the portable. The portable is not a full fledged, MARCS capable radio.

Not sure when they updated, nor what they are currently using - at one time they used VHF when OSP was on low band.

I have no idea, but they are low powered, some, maybe all operate in sync with the door being opened.

This is a Motorola one VRX1000 Vehicle Radio Extender

I think ODNR uses a different set of VRE freqs. or maybe quit using, although it was mentioned in one of the license variance requests.

Think of it like a HAm using a low power dual band HH as a cross band repeater via their car mobile.

I'm sure someone more familiar can add more.

Why would they all need new handhelds?

And how do you not follow the logic that better system coverage would negate the need the VRE's. VRE's are meant to boost the signal from handhelds in poor coverage areas.

Also how is ODNR not having the same problems with the VRE's as OSP is. ODNR has been using MARCS-IP now for a few months in this area. Or has ODNR stop using the VRE's on MARCS-IP due to better system coverage.

budevans

Here's a copy of the letter to Homeland Security and the FCC regarding the issue that affects both OSP and ODNR.

Last edited:

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
Yes they are full fledged MARCS radios. Not sure what makes you think there not. They have just been using a simplex 700mhz frequency to talk to the VRE.

Status
Not open for further replies.