CHICAGO POLICE going digital???

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
Is the Chicago police going digital?

Curious are they planning any encryption?

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
I have not heard anything to indicate this change in the near future. They do have a few licensed "future" frequencies (see the Chicago Police Department section on the Cook County page in the RR database) that are still to be used. I would imagine that they wouldn't license these for future use if they are planning on switching to a digital system soon.
With that said, I must say that I am surprised that they haven't switched to some sort of digital system that would allow IT personnel to remotely disable problem radios because Chicago OEMC seems to have such a huge problem with open keys.

DJ11DLN

I must say that I am surprised that they haven't switched to some sort of digital system that would allow IT personnel to remotely disable problem radios because Chicago OEMC seems to have such a huge problem with open keys.

Don't think they would need digital for that. I believe most of the big mfgrs have had features like "stun" (disables TX) and "kill" (soft-bricks the radio) for years on their analog stuff. They just need to enable it on their system and use it. But since setting it up might be a bit of a bear, that may not happen anytime soon.:roll:

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber
Not sure, But the question was raised from an Alderman after a suspect fleeing from police was using a scanner app. The City Budget Hearing was focused on the Chicago Police Department which was held Tuesday Oct 6.

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Not sure, But the question was raised from an Alderman after a suspect fleeing from police was using a scanner app. The City Budget Hearing was focused on the Chicago Police Department which was held Tuesday Oct 6.

Maybe they also discussed the Twitter user who was tweeting the Mayor's Detail movement...which is now encrypted TG 360.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
This was such a great city for this hobby before all of the streaming and social media. We were better off with out all of this internet sharing of radio data. At first the ability to share information this easily was amazing and made it seem like there was no end in site. But then all of the streaming started, by the way just know if you are involved in streaming public safety comm.'s to phone apps or "internet sites" you are part of the problem. All theses agencies wanted was for people to use discretion about the information made available on the internet. Frequencies are one thing live broadcasts are another. Think of where our hobby would be if we conducted are business out of the public eye like it should have been and never ever started streaming there communications live for any idiot to listen too. Then maybe we wouldn't have all of this worry about what we will be able to monitor when a city like Chicago or a county like Cook starts looking into buying a new radio system. Also streaming live public safety comm.'s should be illegal it endangers officers and encourages rubberneckers. - OK off the box I step that had been building up a while :twisted:

DJ11DLN

This was such a great city for this hobby before all of the streaming and social media. We were better off with out all of this internet sharing of radio data. At first the ability to share information this easily was amazing and made it seem like there was no end in site. But then all of the streaming started, by the way just know if you are involved in streaming public safety comm.'s to phone apps or "internet sites" you are part of the problem. All theses agencies wanted was for people to use discretion about the information made available on the internet. Frequencies are one thing live broadcasts are another. Think of where our hobby would be if we conducted are business out of the public eye like it should have been and never ever started streaming there communications live for any idiot to listen too. Then maybe we wouldn't have all of this worry about what we will be able to monitor when a city like Chicago or a county like Cook starts looking into buying a new radio system. Also streaming live public safety comm.'s should be illegal it endangers officers and encourages rubberneckers. - OK off the box I step that had been building up a while :twisted:

Where is the "like" button!:wink:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

Well said Bob! I know the argument on the other side is "since it's on the air, it's open season" . The CPD has/had an 800Mhz. Trunking system that was primarily used by the Organized Crime Unit for surveillances day and night. That was some of the best listening until it was decided to start posting updates and talk groups. We fu** things up for ourselves...Cook County Naperville/Aurora...Northwest Central PD's...Joliet.....the list keeps growing.

SQP

Senior Member OMIK
Premium Subscriber
Well now, guess I wasn't a RANTING crackpot after all, EH?!?!?!?! READ PRIOR posts!!!!!!!! Have a nice day. MRS

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
You forgot on the "ENC" list "Elgin, Beecher,Monee and Peotone, well at least I can hear Elgin FD....I cant even hear the garbage men or taxi's here is Jokelet !!!!.....Wonder if Chicago will turn on the "ENC" on the new 477 freqys digital??...

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
You forgot on the "ENC" list "Elgin, Beecher,Monee and Peotone, well at least I can hear Elgin FD....I cant even hear the garbage men or taxi's here is Jokelet !!!!.....Wonder if Chicago will turn on the "ENC" on the new 477 freqys digital??...

Even the taxis are encrypted?

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Well the Chicago encryption has already begun during the Chicago marathon a couple weeks ago CPD was out on 476.0125 NAC $293 100% ENC. There's no doubt Chicago will encrypt hopefully it will only be limited to the tac ops. Also Shades I remember the 800 system well too. It used to be a good way to kill hours listening. I remember when I use to work third shift I would get off at around 0600 and would listen to the OCD teams prepping for the days operations or taking down a dope spot and setting up reverse stings for the day. Boy those truly were the good old days. It is so sad to me to see our hobby circling the drain because a few people cant get it through there head they are causing more problems then they are solving by streaming police from all over the country live. Look at what happened in Ferguson everybody who had the means was listening via Broadcastify which is the most dangerous site of all. Like I said Sites like that should be outlawed and made illegal to operate. Nobody has the right to put a officers safety in jeopardy and turn a profit doing it none the less.:mad:

SCPD

QRT
I'd imagine illegal transmissions in nature of what is said to officers or threats is another add on. Yeah a device may be able to cause some sort of interference but you can completely void them from being heard by the officers. I'm sure as technology becomes cheaper and bundled with all the goodies you'll see more of this across the land. What you pay for a new digital radio with all the options and flashes is not what a agency pays under contract in bulk. It may be out of reach for most but for a entity it's within spending limits. Have no doubt inevitably most major cities will eventually go digital sooner or later. If you got the tools why let it sit? Use it if you got it path. Times have changed and so has the publics outlook which has become a down side to hobbyists in scanning. They could leave dispatch open. Just have to wait and see. But have no doubt eventually they'll fully go digital as times change.

Last edited:

RADIOGUY2002

to have or not to have

Well written and I agree fully. The morons are killing it for everyone else. I could tell you story but it has to be in the pm mode because I might get more point violations. People just don't get it anymore, the learning curve has changed. The more genius that think its funny to key up a repeater and say something stupid on particular frequencies used by a notable agency are just asking for trouble or played stupid music are killing it. We have come full circle where a radio can be tracked by esn, radio signature, and id. I'm not diving into that for obvious reasons. I hope what I heard the other day was not the doing of an officer because if is your asking for digital which is going to be more of a pain in the *** for you the officer then you ever wanted. If anybody (which i'm sure most have) cpd has been getting new radios. xts are getting replaced out gradually with a famous radio that has very cool features and a hefty price tag, which easily supports certain formats. Oh, yea and longer battery life. And potential can go to the trunked systems as well as a fail safe. WIN<WIN<WIN-lol

Chicago2210

Ok, when do you all think the CPD will go digital? And finally how do you think the so called UHF T-band give back? Thanks

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
If I was a betting man I would say CPD would probably transition to Cook Counties Phase 2 P25 System leaving the 460 frequencies open for CFD and EMS. That would br the easiest way to avoid the the T-Band problem and get CPD on digital ENC channels. this is just one of many possibilities though.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Scanner audio streaming is a good sales pitch for the Motorola salesman to public safety agencies for them to switch to digital encryption. Broadcastify and it's ilk will be the end of this hobby. (It is still kinda cool to be able to listen to police scanner feeds from all over the country!! But yeah..)

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they also discussed the Twitter user who was tweeting the Mayor's Detail movement...which is now encrypted TG 360.

They updated the data base to reflect this change almost as soon as you posted that it had gone encrypted. Do the Data Base Mods have no sense at at all, He pulls information from a thread about how we need and want to start seeing people starting to be smarter about what we post. And what does this guy do he go and posts it to the Data Base for all to see. I don't mean to make any personal attacks or what not but come on man wheres the common sense. And you will know when you read this sir, that you made the wrong move by posting that information once the the marine units encrypt as well and there is NOTHING left to monitor on that system.

Status
Not open for further replies.