GILBERT PD upgrading to APX6000's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

4-crime

I see that the Gilbert Police Chief is now carrying an APX6000. I've seen several pictures of him the past week carrying one with the HMN4104B speaker mic.

I would assume the department is going to start issuing these to command staff, detectives, patrol etc. in the near future. Seems like a lot of the east valley agencies are using these now. I know I've seen Chandler PD, MCSO and ASU police using the APX6000's.

MCSO even gives brand new APX6000's to their explorer's.

I'm curious to see if there are plans to upgrade any of these systems (RWC, TOPAZ, Maricopa County Smartzone) to Phase II in the near future as well.

KB7MIB

It's been reported in another thread here that the RWC will be Phase II by the end of next year. (The Simulcast C upgrade thread from last year, when they went from 800 MHz to 700 MHz.)
I don't know about the TOPAZ, Maricopa County or ASU trunked systems. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

John
Peoria

4-crime

I just saw the sky harbor site changed to a 700Mhz control channel in the database. I don't remember that site being 700Mhz.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
It changed within the last couple of months. I was able to confirm the freqs on Friday. All the RWC sites that are/were 800mhz will be moving to 700mhz. Simulcast A and B will change sometime in the future.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Yesterday I noticed some PFD and Glendale PD talkgroups showing up on Simulcast A. They might be in the process of moving them over so they can upgrade Simulcast B here pretty soon - it seems reminiscent of the activity we saw leading up to the changeover on Simulcast C.

-AZ

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I'm curious to see if there are plans to upgrade any of these systems (RWC, TOPAZ, Maricopa County Smartzone) to Phase II in the near future as well.

When moving the RWC to 700mhz, they are also upgrading equipment to Phase 2 capable. One they are done, then they will probably start moving talkgroups to Phase 2 modes. All radios that are using talkgroup must be Phase 2 TDMA capable or the talkgroup will revert to Phase 1 FDMA. Because of this they don't have to flip a switch and change everything to Phase 2 since they have to upgrade all subscriber radios first.

The FCC was mandating P25 narrowbanding by 2017. This was promoting the equipment upgrades. The FCC has changed this requirement, so there is not as much of a hurry to implement Phase 2 now.

I have not heard any plans for the TRWC or Maricopa County. As they replace radios, they are likely purchasing Phase 2 radios in preparation for an eventual move.

4-crime

Thanks for all the replies and info guys.

I sure hope none of these systems implement further encryption then what they already have when they upgrade to phase II. I've been a big fan of monitoring all of these systems over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.