Status
Not open for further replies.

stingray327

HELP! UNIDEN HP-2 screen is frozen and unit will not turn off

All I get is a white screen with the words,

"Warning !
Rom Error
(SUB CPU)

HP-2 doesn't work whether I turn it off, unplug USB plug. It is a frozen screen.
This happened after I did update.

Solution? Problem?

Last edited:

Voyager

Try updating again.

Try replacing the SD card (although I don't think that will do it).

Aside from that, or something someone else or myself might come up with, it's warranty repair time.

Now watch the trolls try to make this isolated occurrence into an issue and "proof" that the HP-2 is trash...

stingray327

Try updating again.

Try replacing the SD card (although I don't think that will do it).

Aside from that, or something someone else or myself might come up with, it's warranty repair time.

Now watch the trolls try to make this isolated occurrence into an issue and "proof" that the HP-2 is trash...

This unit is only a few weeks old.
How do I unfreeze screen?
Disconnect batteries?

The HPDB update works and says I have the most current Home Patrol version.
The update firmware box appears and doesn't appear to be active .
Select Home Patrol micro SD box does not respond when I click on "Refresh" or "Info". Only Cancel button works.

Voyager

What does the unit do if you remove the SD card?

I suspect the problem is in one of the CPUs based on the error, and is not something you can fix.

Maybe contact the dealer for replacement. They might be able to resolve the issue faster.

Voyager

I would say contact the dealer for replacement or Uniden for service (your choice). I don't think this is a user-correctable issue given what you've tried. I didn't think it would be from the start, but it was worth some non-invasive testing.

stingray327

I would say contact the dealer for replacement or Uniden for service (your choice). I don't think this is a user-correctable issue given what you've tried. I didn't think it would be from the start, but it was worth some non-invasive testing.

Thanks for you input.
It has now returned back to normal. I removed batteries, and USB cable with memory card while I went to get camera to take a picture of screen. When I plugged USB back into scanner it started up like it normally does. Wasn't able to get picture of screen.
I don't think I will be doing that firmware upgrade again for awhile as that happened when I brought it up to latest firmware. The other HPBD update was fine and as indicated said I was using the most current verison of HP.
Seems to be whenever I do the latest firmware updates is when I have problems and this just isn't with scanners but other electronics that depend on this.

Voyager

You know, I'm not sure there IS an update for the HP-2 yet. I wonder if you are using an older version of Sentinel which does not recognize the HP-2...

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Make sure you're using the most recent version of Sentinel for your radio (available at this link), and do any firmware updates that are available. As has been stated before, there's no way to put a Uniden radio into an unfixable state by doing a firmware update.

ROM Error most likely refers to Read Only Memory being corrupt. Despite the name, ROM is what is written to when you do a firmware update (in simple terms), and an improperly applied firmware update could probably cause that issue. Resetting and reloading the firmware update would fix the problem.

stingray327

Make sure you're using the most recent version of Sentinel for your radio (available at this link), and do any firmware updates that are available. As has been stated before, there's no way to put a Uniden radio into an unfixable state by doing a firmware update.

ROM Error most likely refers to Read Only Memory being corrupt. Despite the name, ROM is what is written to when you do a firmware update (in simple terms), and an improperly applied firmware update could probably cause that issue. Resetting and reloading the firmware update would fix the problem.

I see thanks for that info. Next update I will do that. I thought I had to get another SD Card since that box was not functioning.

Voyager

As has been stated before, there's no way to put a Uniden radio into an unfixable state by doing a firmware update.

That's true only if the issue is in firmware. If it's a hardware failure that occurs concurrently, that can't be fixed via re-applying the update.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
That's true only if the issue is in firmware. If it's a hardware failure that occurs concurrently, that can't be fixed via re-applying the update.

I'll reiterate: You can't break the scanner by applying a firmware update.

Hardware failures, lightning striking the scanner, velociraptors stampeding thru the room you're in, etc., are not part of the firmware update process.

Voyager

But some may think it was part of the update if it happens concurrently. Key word in both posts being concurrently, meaning "with the update".

But true, the update process itself cannot brick the scanner.

Tinkertek

ROM Error

I just had the same ROM error on my HomePatrol 2. However I didn't upgrade any firmware in about 1 year, since I got it (I did upgrade the firmware then). This happened out of the blue with nothing different being done. I started my truck, and the scanner always comes on immediately as soon as it senses the live 12 V power. This morning it went to that White screen error. I then pulled the USB power for 10 seconds and reapplied the power, same error. So I left the USB disconnected, drove for hours and tried it again later. It then worked normally as though nothing had happened. Not sure if I will see this problem again, it's the first time I've seen the issue since I bought it - about 1 year ago.

stingray327

I just had the same ROM error on my HomePatrol 2. However I didn't upgrade any firmware in about 1 year, since I got it (I did upgrade the firmware then). This happened out of the blue with nothing different being done. I started my truck, and the scanner always comes on immediately as soon as it senses the live 12 V power. This morning it went to that White screen error. I then pulled the USB power for 10 seconds and reapplied the power, same error. So I left the USB disconnected, drove for hours and tried it again later. It then worked normally as though nothing had happened. Not sure if I will see this problem again, it's the first time I've seen the issue since I bought it - about 1 year ago.

Was this the screen?

Attachments

• ROM ERROR HP-2.jpg
    ROM ERROR HP-2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 226
Status
Not open for further replies.