• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GE Orion Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Dont know alot about GE-M/A Com radios. Are these stackable like the Kenwoods, such as having 2 or 3 RF Decks to one control head? Id like to have VHF/UHF/800. on one control head. Thanks.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
You can do 2 radios on the same head, and they need to be close (same?) flash version.
What's nice is that both can RX at the same time because you actually toggle between radios on the head.
There is a special cable for dual radio.

timkilbride

Database Admin
New London Technology has the cable in stock, P/N 19B802554P10

They do show up in Ebay from time to time for a much lower price.

Tim

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
I'll just add that the above info is good, you'll also want to make sure both decks are using 512K boards with the same coder version. You CAN run it with mismatched sets, i've done it numerous times, but you will run into issues.

One thing these setups cant handle is if you are scanning two very busy sets on each one where the audio and display is updating a lot. The CPU in the master radio can't keep up and after a while you will get a HW ERR and reboot. If you select a Network Mode other than Summed audio and Alternate display this isn't as much of a problem.

FWIW, pairing an M7100 with its faster CPU and an Orion can alleviate that problem but usually generates a new set of 'quirks'.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
I'll just add that the above info is good, you'll also want to make sure both decks are using 512K boards with the same coder version. You CAN run it with mismatched sets, i've done it numerous times, but you will run into issues.

One thing these setups cant handle is if you are scanning two very busy sets on each one where the audio and display is updating a lot. The CPU in the master radio can't keep up and after a while you will get a HW ERR and reboot. If you select a Network Mode other than Summed audio and Alternate display this isn't as much of a problem.

FWIW, pairing an M7100 with its faster CPU and an Orion can alleviate that problem but usually generates a new set of 'quirks'.

Thanks all for the information. Now that you brought up the M7100, would pairing 2 of them be easier (less Quirky)?

asweezy

Premium Subscriber
If I want to pair an M7100 VHF and an Orion Low Band what version firmware in the Orion do I need to make it less clunky?

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
If I want to pair an M7100 VHF and an Orion Low Band what version firmware in the Orion do I need to make it less clunky?

The M7100 can be any revision of firmware and work OK. (I use J2R18H09 in mine)

However, the Orion must be a 512k model, and contain Group-46 or Group-47 firmware. 47 is better.

Also, the M7100 must be the Master radio.

asweezy

Premium Subscriber
Ok dumb question how do I find out if it's a 512K model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Ok dumb question how do I find out if it's a 512K model

Three ways:

#1- In RADIO MAINTENANCE, do a RADIO INFORMATION query. It will show you the flash size in the lower left corner of the screen.

#2- In PROGRAMMING, when you program the radio, on the programming set-up screen you have to click OK on the program the radio, it will always display the current flashcode revision in the left-hand box, along with a ADI of DSP code (if equipped).

OGxx3xx codes are 256k
OGxx4xx codes are 512k

#3- On the display of the radio, enter into MENU, then REVISIONS. Scroll to FLSH VER. You can see the flashsize info there.

BTW: This works on all radios from the Orion/M-RK and later.

asweezy

Premium Subscriber
Ok thank you for the help. I grabbed a Ma-Com Orion today and a dual radio cable guess I will see what I can come up with

asweezy

Premium Subscriber
Any way to cross band repeat the 2 decks?

Status
Not open for further replies.