New to Ham still scratching my head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettL

I have made a few contacts on my new HT using a mag mount at home as well as mobile. Some guys are picking a lot of questions and are strictly textbook while others are laid back. I don't know these guys and never really had a HAM friend or at least an experienced someone that can share information with me regarding what type of all band radio to purchase, what to stay away from, what is good for modding and expansion, what kind of amp for the type of radio you have and why,

I plan to build me a j-pole and a quad beam for 2m. Talk local repeaters to get to know people and report on nets using my 4 watt HT for time being.

I am saving up for a HF transceiver and have been reading and googling ALOT! I myself can tell you what are good radios for modding and expanding that compete with the better brand radios without all the useless bells and whistles for C.B.. But I don't know this information about all band radios. I would like to obtain this so I can buy a cheaper radio just as good as the pricier ones without the bells/whistles.

Oh and what about amps? I know you cant drive a low drive amp with a 100w transceiver. What if I get an amp that requires only 80 watts of drive?. should I turn back the power on the radio or get a different amp? So what is a good radio amp combo? ( for this HF transceiver without bells/whistles that I am looking for)

I sorta wish I was around HAM operators more often growing up so I don't have to bug you with all these questions.

I hate being the new guy

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Modifying an amateur radio for anything but receiving is against the rules. Most HF rigs have power in the 100 watt range, and many hams talk with lower power and still make contacts all over the world. QRP operators usually limit output to 5 watts or less and still talk hundreds and even thousands of miles. The FCC rules actually say to use the least amount of power necessary to complete the contact. I can talk to Europe using 50 watts and a long wire antenna when conditions are right. The best way to learn is to join a club with experienced operators. Most hams are willing teachers and welcome newcomers.

BrettL

I will have to find a local club to join. Hope there are some good ones to learn from.

I browsed websites reading where you could modify many types of HAM radios, microphones, power supplies, modems etc. Also how to modify a radio to receive and transmit out of range, you can find how to modify a radio to use high speed packet modems, and how to modify the radio/modem to get better performance.

I was not referring to modifying the all band radios like the 11 meter operators do their cb's with all the harmonics and distortion.

I have seen ham operators with some big tube boxes but I was not interested then and didn't ask questions. Them few were out of the 100w range. Not sure if they are still living for they were old when I was young. Not sure if this is the forum to discuss this here. Just asking questions is all.

If I were to find this HF transceiver as I explained I'm looking for then I assure you I will not be the one to modify it because I don't want to throw money away for damaging a good radio. As you could tell by the questions I ask I'm about as new as they come.

BrettL

W8RMH, yes I know of the CCARA and the Oxford Ham Club also. I will get to know these guys soon enough. Thanks for the reply. I just thought I may get some input on a good radio that's fair. I was told by a few people to stay away from ICOM radios. I asked why and the only answer I got was because they were junk. Not a very good statement without a legit answer. This was coming from a 7 year ham and a 12 year ham telling me that 2m and 440 was for beginners and they moved on to HF.

Back to main question: For example...

Using a cobra 29 you can peak it to 0w-12w RMS , variable power, channel expansion 40 up and 40 down, turn up modulation 100%, align receive, and make it a good cheap reliable radio for $100 or less. Now you can buy a galaxy radio with a freq counter, talk back, variable power, roger beeps, ect ect ect..for $200+. Why pay for all the bells and whistles when at the end of the day you only have 0w-12w RMS.

Just wondering are there any HF radios that are basically the same and cheaper than the ones with the bells and whistles. Not sure I asked that correctly...?

AC2OY

Hi Brett I'm Michael and fairly new to Amateur Radio as well. Ham Radio Outlet or Gigaparts or Universial Radio you can look at many diffrent HF radios. Keep googling and researching. Hook up with a club they will help! One of the perks of my radio club is being a actual member they will have a antenna party for me! Simply put when I buy my station they will come over and help me get going!! Good luck have fun!! You can spend as much or as little for a radio but what I think the most important thing is whst you want do and what is your budget.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Modifying an amateur radio transceiver is not illegal. Using a modified amateur radio transceiver to transmit on frequencies not authorized by your amateur radio license or on frequencies not covered by the transceiver's FCC certification is illegal. This topic has been cussed and discussed in this thread:
http://forums.radioreference.com/am...ut-band-transmit-illegal-stupid-question.html

Frankly, with a modern amateur radio transceiver for the HF bands, there's generally not much to be gained by modifying the radios.

For the most part, amateur radio HF transceivers are more expensive than CB transceivers. CB transceivers only have to cover a narrow range of frequencies while ham transceivers typically cover all of the ham bands from 80m to 10m or more. CB transceivers only output 4 watts on AM or 12 watts on SSB while ham transceivers typically output 100 watts on CW and SSB. It's apples and oranges.

As others have suggested, I think the OP should visit his local amateur radio club. Even if the club itself doesn't provide what the OP might be looking for, it's through a local club that the OP can meet other hams and potentially find one who can "elmer" him or help him with his questions. Of course, the OP can ask his questions in online forums, but nothing beats the personal touch and immediate feedback of a one-on-one conversation.

K7MEM

W8RMH, yes I know of the CCARA and the Oxford Ham Club also. I will get to know these guys soon enough. Thanks for the reply. I just thought I may get some input on a good radio that's fair. I was told by a few people to stay away from ICOM radios. I asked why and the only answer I got was because they were junk. Not a very good statement without a legit answer. This was coming from a 7 year ham and a 12 year ham telling me that 2m and 440 was for beginners and they moved on to HF.

That bit about ICOM radios is just personal bias. Everyone has a favorite brand. If they can't provide any reasonable reasons, then I would discount their opinion. I have a old ICOM IC-735. Its a good radio, but has had it's problems over the years. It was once mobile so most of the issues have been solder joints rattled loose. I think mine is third or fourth hand, so it has been through a lot. But its very easy to repair and works well.

Back to main question: For example...

Using a cobra 29 you can peak it to 0w-12w RMS , variable power, channel expansion 40 up and 40 down, turn up modulation 100%, align receive, and make it a good cheap reliable radio for $100 or less. Now you can buy a galaxy radio with a freq counter, talk back, variable power, roger beeps, ect ect ect..for $200+. Why pay for all the bells and whistles when at the end of the day you only have 0w-12w RMS.

Just wondering are there any HF radios that are basically the same and cheaper than the ones with the bells and whistles. Not sure I asked that correctly...?

As W9BU stated, you are trying to compare "apples and oranges". Bells and whistles for CB operations are very different than for ham radio operation. Ham radio transceivers in the past 30 years virtually all come with computer control capability, digital displays, multiple VFOs, high grade filters, VOXs, noise filters, DSP, etc... These are standard items. If you don't want to use the capability, that is your choice.

Often, one of the things that is considered an extra might be special filters. If you plan to do and CW operations, you might benefit from adding the 250 Hz or 400 Hz CW filter. It usually doesn't cost a lot to add it on and it adds to the possible resale value. Same thing with adding on a auto tuner. You may not see much value in it now, but it will surly be of value at one time or another.

But I am not saying that you should go out and buy a $5,000 rig, with every bell and whistle imaginable. What you need is something that you can learn with. There are couple of nice units on the QRZ.com swap meet page. There is a ICOM IC-706MKIIG and a Yeasu FT-897D. Both in the same dollar range and both great starting rigs. Either one can be use as a base or mobile. Once you get use to them and learn about their operation, you can decide what extras you might be interested.

Martin - K7MEM

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I was told by a few people to stay away from ICOM radios. I asked why and the only answer I got was because they were junk. Not a very good statement without a legit answer. This was coming from a 7 year ham and a 12 year ham telling me that 2m and 440 was for beginners and they moved on to HF.
I think you are talking to some very opinionated people. Not that having strong opinions is bad, but anyone with strong opinions should be able to back them up with sound reasoning for their opinions. You will find that some amateur radio operators are very brand-specific. They've had good experience with one brand and stick to that brand to the exclusion of all others. I like to spread it around--I own radios from all four major Japanese manufacturers (including Alinco).

As for Icom, specifically, I've owned several Icom radios, both for the VHF/UHF bands and for the HF bands. Some of them have been good, some of them have been not so good. My experience, though, with their HF radios has been very good.

There's nothing wrong with VHF/UHF if that's what interests you. Most public service type of amateur radio operating is done on the VHF/UHF bands. Same for severe weather spotting. Satellite work is pretty much exclusively VHF/UHF. And there are folks who have thousands of hours invested in building their VHF/UHF contest stations. I have found, though, that as I've gotten more interested in HF operating, I spend much less time on VHF/UHF. The nice thing about getting involved in the local VHF/UHF repeater scene is that it introduces you to the hams in your area. That can be an asset for a new ham.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
:confused: What?! It is?
Can you please direct me to the where it says that in the rules?

For those who are Canadian hams this can be clarified by reading Industry Canada regulations and Radio Amateurs of Canada. Don't want to rob this thread but if Canadians are reading they should clarify who can use modified commercial radios on the ham frequencies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Don't want to rob this thread but if Canadians are reading they should clarify who can use modified commercial radios on the ham frequencies.

The O/P is indicated he is located in Anniston, AL, which is in the USA, and under the jurisdiction of the Federal Communications Commission, not Industry Canada.

There are no FCC rules that prohibit the actual modification of a radio for transmitting out of the ham bands contrary to what some have implied, it IS however, against FCC rules to transmit outside the ham bands using HAM equipment (or any equipment) which is not specifically FCC certified for that particular radio service, regardless if the person transmitting holds a valid license in that radio service or not.

majoco

Stirrer
It's not illegal to modify your transmitter, as has already been said, it is illegal to transmit out of band. That being said, it is dangerous to modify a rig with sufficient knowledge or test gear to be sure that you are not doing something illegal.

A good few years back now I had an Icom IC2A 2m handheld - I found that if I tweaked some trimmers I could get the power up quite considerably using my SWR meter as a power indicator. But no one would talk to me and I couldn't raise the local repeater. I took it to work and put it on the spectrum analyser. Sure there was lots of power, but not much on frequency! If I remember correctly, a multiplier could be tuned to the wrong harmonic and was giving out power on a lower frequency and a few spurs too!
Fortunately the men in sunglasses and trench coats didn't arrive on the doorstep...... :roll:

BrettL

I hope not to modify my rig after I purchase it. I have read where people have added a few things to theirs and It made the value of the radio go up. I was asked to join several clubs this weekend over a few local repeaters. That was pretty cool. I told them I wanted to join a club whom had the smartest members I could learn from. LOL. One of them told me they would have like a dinner for me or something. I'm keeping my options open for now.

I started this thread for someone to give me some ideas on radios and such. Or any pointer or what to look for that is basically just as good as the better ones.

Yes, I am cheap, but I don't mind spending some money to get what I want. I would hate to purchase something and a experienced operator tell me he has the same thing and it cost him less or even say why did you buy that when you could have bought this. Would not be good for me to buy something and a section of the radio is known to go bad in a year or two. I try to stay away from advertising hype and value peoples first hand experience much better whether it makes sense or not.

I like peoples opinions about things and I do research on it to figure out even further.

Some says it depends on what I want to do with the radio. Well, I want to cover all bands and get me a multi band antenna. Then I want to start putting wires all over the yard in the direction I want to talk. Also build several beams for the frequencies I plan to resonate. All I know for now Is vhf/uhf and I'm a 2 weeks into it . It's all cool but on FM that is basically like when I was on 11 meters riding on top of a mountain in my mobile with many more watts and being loud talking far off. I'll pep up my 2m/ 440 rig with some watts and beam but want to go into the other frequencies to were I can really do what I would enjoy. Talking all over the world.

I don't really want a mobile HF rig, but If it will do the same as a base radio, is cheaper, and be durable that's great. I was thinking of a base radio and keep it covered with a cover of some sort to keep it free from dirt and dust. It don't have to be big physically or as busy as some although the bigger in appearance with a gazillion buttons do look nice!

Last edited:

WyoDuner

Brett, I have read some of your posts and they all reference CBs/11 meter and modifying a ham rig. Certainly your experience with CB/11 meter has value but ham radio guys are mainly grumpy old farts who will look down on anything CB related and they will chastise any talk of modding a ham radio. My personal opinion, avoid the CB and modding talk when dealing with hams.

Oh, expect plenty of brand loyalty - Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu - they are all go and none are junk. Different features, costs of accessories, programming ease, etc will differ sure, but they are all good quality.

So you want to do VHF/UHF but also HF is what I am hearing. You want lots of power and lots of antennas and you want to do it cheaply. Everybody has a different idea of cheap but what you are describing doesn't sound cheap to me. If I were going to do that - cheaply - I would look at the new Yaesu FT-991 (HF, VHF, UHF all mode) radio at about $1600 and take it from there. One radio that can do anything, is modern and compact for a base station. Reviews are talking about some firmware issues but this should get ironed out. If you want to DX on VHF/UHF this is the type of radio you want since it can do SSB and CW on VHF/UHF. I don't think people really DX on FM.

BTW - you speak of mods - I am curious what type of mods you are thinking of. Don't worry - I'm not the mods/frequency/FCC police - just curious.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I am one of those old farts that you reference. I don't necessarily long down on 11 meter operators, but do if they bring their free spirit, I'll do anything I want, attitude to ham radio. I was around when 11 meters was in it's infancy, and all operators were decent law abiding operators. Than came the 90s and it degenerating into a filthy loud mouth bastion. I don't think old farts what to see this happen to amateur radio as well. For the OP, I am not familiar with power restrictions in the US, but in Canada, depending if you have Basic with Honours or CW you are restricted to the power output. Advanced can have much more power than the Basic/CW and can use modified commercial non ham radios [seems my previous post of this was deleted or moved]. One thing with Ham, is it opens a whole new set of radio uses. Generally, one has to find their own niche depending on what you want to do with ham radi.

K7MEM

I hope not to modify my rig after I purchase it. I have read where people have added a few things to theirs and It made the value of the radio go up. I was asked to join several clubs this weekend over a few local repeaters. That was pretty cool. I told them I wanted to join a club whom had the smartest members I could learn from. LOL. One of them told me they would have like a dinner for me or something. I'm keeping my options open for now.

You need to separate modifications from additions. They are two different things. A modification tries to make a radio do something is was never intended to do, like transmit on some commercial bands. That kind of modification never makes the value go up. Conversely, a add-on can increase the value. An example might be a CW filter. You may have bought the radio with only the SSB filters. Then you bought a CW filter and installed it in the radio. That's something the radio was always ready to accept. That would increase the value, especially for a CW operator.

I started this thread for someone to give me some ideas on radios and such. Or any pointer or what to look for that is basically just as good as the better ones.

Yes, I am cheap, but I don't mind spending some money to get what I want. I would hate to purchase something and a experienced operator tell me he has the same thing and it cost him less or even say why did you buy that when you could have bought this. Would not be good for me to buy something and a section of the radio is known to go bad in a year or two. I try to stay away from advertising hype and value peoples first hand experience much better whether it makes sense or not.

It would be nice if everyone knew what might go wrong with a rig, before they bought it. If you want to pour through reviews, try going to eHam.net Reviews. They have reviews on just about everything you can think of. But remember, alot of those reviews are from users that are just frustrated, and are trying to vent. Often, the solution is right in front of them, but lack of experience prevents them from seeing it.

I like peoples opinions about things and I do research on it to figure out even further.

Some says it depends on what I want to do with the radio. Well, I want to cover all bands and get me a multi-band antenna. Then I want to start putting wires all over the yard in the direction I want to talk. Also build several beams for the frequencies I plan to resonate. All I know for now Is vhf/uhf and I'm a 2 weeks into it . It's all cool but on FM that is basically like when I was on 11 meters riding on top of a mountain in my mobile with many more watts and being loud talking far off. I'll pep up my 2m/ 440 rig with some watts and beam but want to go into the other frequencies to were I can really do what I would enjoy. Talking all over the world.

There is more to 2 Meters than FM and repeaters. Granted, it is not a band where you can easily make transcontinental QSOs, but it's still a good band. If the rig you have is capable, try going down to the low end where there is CW and SSB.

And if your looking for a rig recommendation, you might look for a Yeasy FT-857 as a good starter rig. I do not have one, but a close friend does. He has a FT-817 (1/5W QRP) and a FT-857 (100W). I built a PSK-31 for his FT-817 and worked stations all over the United States on only 1 watt. The FT-857 is like the big brother to the FT-817. It runs all bands (160 meters to 70 centimeters) and all modes (AM, CW, USB/LSB, FM). Control is menu driven and can easily be run directly from a computer. If you want a closer look at what it can do, the user manual is available on-line. Now my friend is not an engineer, but he has no trouble working with the rig. I have seen both the FT-817 and the FT-857 selling on QRZ.com, used but new condition and with extras (add-ons not modifications), for about $600.

I don't really want a mobile HF rig, but If it will do the same as a base radio, is cheaper, and be durable that's great. I was thinking of a base radio and keep it covered with a cover of some sort to keep it free from dirt and dust. It don't have to be big physically or as busy as some although the bigger in appearance with a gazillion buttons do look nice!

You will find that almost all rigs today are made to run off of 12 Volts. Even the big fancy ones with all the buttons. Whether you use them mobile or stationary is your choice. There is no price difference except for the addition of a 12 volt power supply to run as a base station. For a 100 watt rig you will need a power supply that provides 12 volts at about 25-30 amps.

And don't forget about the antenna. You can start out with a simple, easy to construct dipole. Get it as high in the air as possible and you should be able to work all the DX you can stand. I have a old Hustler 5BTV and a home brew trap dipole. The 5BTV is mounted on a 18 foot mast with elevated radials and operates on 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters (well it use to work on 80 meters before the lightening strike.). A vertical is a good DX antenna. The trap dipole runs on the same bands as the 5BTV, but is at 35 feet. I can easily hit Europe, on say 15 meters, when the band is open.

For many years I had a 50 foot crank up tower with a tri-band yagi. It is a great setup, but requires a lot of work. But, most people don't have the space, knowledge, or money to go into something like that from the beginning. I sold the tower, yagi, and rotator to another ham for $500. And that was a killer price. I sold everything because I changed residences and just didn't want the work involved to put it up again.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Martin - K7MEM

BrettL

Ok I think I meant to say add on not mod. I was actually reading where you could add boards to the HF radios and other stuff. Also you can hook them up to a pc for whatever reason I'm not sure yet. I was told by a few local hams If I wanted to save some money on a HF radio then I didn't need the 6 meters. That there was plenty of other frequencies to have fun on.

Thanks for the replies for I am learning. I like your opinions . Means a great deal to me considering I have a 4 watt HT at the moment and get into about 3 repeaters when at home and not many people on. Then all of a sudden it is crowded at times then it dies back out. I may not hear anyone for a week at times. So you guys are helping me out because at the moment I have more people to talk to about this stuff here on this forum.

I did build a 2 meter beam using specs from a website. It is direct fed. Can't mind my MFJ259B. I accidentally hid that thing from myself. So for now I'll get me a swr reflect meter for vhf/uhf. Just go with that for now. I found a diamond antenna on ebay, but thought I would rather try and make one instead of purchase one. I'll talk omnidirectional with my HT then switch to the beam and dial it in to be clearer or even reach further repeaters.

Then I will have my 100w dual band radio in about a week. After that I hope to have my HF radio in about a few months unless you guys get me one for Christmas or loan me the money. I'll pay ya back I promise!! lol . Other than that I will have to induce labor on my girlfriend so she can get off maternity leave and go back to work........

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
100Watts on 2m/70cm? Why? What antenna are you going to pump all that power into? Spend your money on a tall pole, a yagi and a rotator. Then you'll only need 25Watts.
The old adage "If you can't hear them, then you can't work them" still holds true on the VHF bands. A good antenna and good elevation is always the best investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.