Icom: New D-Star Capable Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppafred

I recently purchased an Icom IC-9100 that came with the digital card. After I got all the filters I ordered, I sat down and installed everything and it all appears to be working fine.

The closest VHF D-Star repeater is 150 miles away. There's one op with some type of UHF setup only 60 miles away. So, it looks like if I ever work digital, it will probably be HF.

I found a listing of a digital HF net on the IC-9100 Yahoo group and will try that some time but I am wondering where digital HF ops hang out on the bands. Does anyone know if someone has posted a list of digital HF frequencies? If not, where would they hang around, top, middle or bottom of the band?

I appreciate any hints or tips.

N8OHU

Given the bandwidth, there generally isn't much HF use of D-STAR other than the weekend net. I believe there might be some repeaters in the EU on 10 meters, but I don't have a list of frequencies for that, as I don't have HF set up indoors.

w2txb

Another very good and useful alternative is a DVAP (from Internet Labs). I started out on D-STAR with a UHF DVAP and was on the air almost instantly (once registered), talking with hams all over the world.

The range of the DVAP is pretty good... ~1/2 mile, so I can walk around the area with the HT and communicate with perfect clarity.

N8OHU

I recently purchased an Icom IC-9100 that came with the digital card. After I got all the filters I ordered, I sat down and installed everything and it all appears to be working fine.

The closest VHF D-Star repeater is 150 miles away. There's one op with some type of UHF setup only 60 miles away. So, it looks like if I ever work digital, it will probably be HF.

I found a listing of a digital HF net on the IC-9100 Yahoo group and will try that some time but I am wondering where digital HF ops hang out on the bands. Does anyone know if someone has posted a list of digital HF frequencies? If not, where would they hang around, top, middle or bottom of the band?

I appreciate any hints or tips.

I think about the only time there is actually D-STAR DV activity on HF is around the time of the net you mentioned; they mainly do that so they aren't interfering with a lot of folks due to the bandwidth it uses.

I also know that there are a few 10 meter D-STAR Repeaters, as well as least one on 6 meters, but most of the activity is on VHF/UHF.

poppafred

How?

Why don't you set up your own dstar hotspot that's what I did here where I live and works out great with a antenna at 35 feet and 20 watts out it has a 8 to 10 mile range ...........

I'm fairly well tapped out after buying the IC-9100 but what exactly would I need to set up a hot spot? Is there a website with guidance?

Status
Not open for further replies.