• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I hit the motherlode!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went with my brother to a house owned by the father of one of his friends. The man had recently passed, and after selling the house, they needed to clear everything out by next Tuesday. So I managed to buy tons of electronics. I will get the specifics later, but I got 2 Cobra 148GTL radios. A Cobra 29LTD, and I noticed it is made in the Phillipines, some have told me that those were louder radios, but I dont know first hand. I found a 23ch Regency, a Johnson Messenger, an old Radioshack of some sort, and something I have never seen, an automotive AM/FM/Cassette with a built in 23ch CB transceiver. Unfortunately, I do not have mics to fit the 148s.

Aside from CB stuff, I picked up many old radar detectors, bag phones, a mint condition GMDelco AM only radio, a very old Ford Philco AM only, some portable AM/FM radios, one with an 8-track player, old satellite receivers, an 8mm video camera, a home stereo with a built in 8track and turntable, and probably more I forgot to mention. I think I did good today.

JayMojave

Hello RR: Good going its always neat to find such a catch. I am sure Mic's for the radios can be had some where for cheap.

After a divorce and not having much money, my sons birthday was coming up. So I took the old original AM only radio that came out of my 1977 truck and mounted it on a chassie with a simple 120VAC to 12 VDC supply, and a telescoping antenna mounted to the chassie. This raised interest in radio in my son along the years and is used to day just to listed to talk radio and such.

We have several guys at work that have restored mussel cars that have the 8 track player mounted under the dash, and they work. Kind of neat to have the old stuff in a modern restored car with a 500+ HP Engine and immaculate interior, using a old 8 track.

Dear ol Dad bought a used but in great condition beautiful deep Blue 1963 Lincoln Continental that had a 8 track player mounted dead center under the dash with 4 each, 6 inch speakers, oh man pretty hot for the 1960's. We use to go down to Long Beach Ca for some of the outside CB Breaks that had probably 1000 people there. During the Drive to and fro Dad played Jonny Cash, Willy Nelson, and Patsy Cline. Mom being a singer in church did not appreciate Dads comments on how well Patsy Cline could sing, Dad, me and my brother remained silent.......

Jay in the Great Mojave

Well I did meet with some disappointment, none of the Cobras work. The 29 will light up, and the channel numbers change when you twist the knob, but nothing else. Neither of the 148s will power up. Although one of them will shut off my 3 amp power supply when i turn it on. That sucks cause i really wanted one of the 148s to work.

The list is:
1-kraco graphic equalizer, new in box still.
2-mti 2100-ps power supplies
2-mti systems model 2100 keypads
1-emerson crc97 cassette player
1-drake esr324 earth station receiver
1-dexcel dxr1100 satellite receiver
1-mag fprd-1 ?
1-dexcel remote controller
1-johnson duo-scan hi/lo
1-jil model 825cb in dash am/fm/8track/23ch cb transceiver
1-realistic trc-427
1-johnson messenger 4140
1-regency cr-185
1-frod philco am only automotive head unit
1-sony vcr slv-n750
1-soundesign 6334 am/fm/8track/turntable
1-ventillation fan
1-12v sprayer
1-revere ap-718 8mm projector
1-magnavox digital tv converter box
1-interstate highway warning system radar detector
1-whistler q1000 radar detector
1-fuzzbuster radar detector
1-delco/gm pn#16018430 am only radio
1-magnavox d7140 portable am/fm/cassette
1-general electric 3-5507c am/fm/8track portable
1-audiovox bagphone
1-nokia bagphone
2-trimag tri-396b door speakers

Not a bad haul. Now if I can make the Cobras work.

impalass427

The Cobras need a mic plugged in to work, It completes the Audio circuit. If they were ever hooked up backwards, The protection diode will blow out. Don S

Last edited:
I did not know that. Is there a way to test it without the mic? Im sure a jumper across certain pins would work?

k8krh

I just looked up mic for you for a COBRA $6.95 at coppers...
DOCTOR/795

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
I'll be that..Pay postage and I ll send you a brand new power mic for the cobra..I have 10 that I cant use..

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
PM me if interested.. I can fix the dead one if you'd like

I opened those 148s up and the results are a little sad lol. One of them is a mess of burned wires. I mean insulation off, some of them missing charred sections. The other one has nothing obvious wrong internally. I hooked it up to my 3A continuous, 5A surge power supply, and turned the unit on, and nothing happened except the light on my power supply went off. When I turned the knob off, the light came back on on the supply. Do I need to connect it to a more powerful supply to test it? I already had a Cobra 29LTD and it runs that radio fine, at least on receive. Any thoughts?

And dcr_inc, if you think this is something you could fix without it costing me an arm and a leg, I might be interested. I dont know electronics, I am a mechanic.

Ok to update, the Cobra 29 LTD Classic does work. I dont have the an antenna to test the transmit, but I know it receives. The meter doesnt work, but they never do. Also the Regency 23ch unit works, and the Johnson messenger powers up and I see the meter move, but I dont get much sound, its kinda quiet. Even the Realistic TRC-427 with the broken face works. Now I just need the 148 GTL's fixed.

After a little cleaning and such, that combination am/fm/8track/ 23ch cb works. I was surprised that transmit and receive both work on the cb side, and the am/fm portion works well. Naturally I did not test the 8 track player, but I bet it would work.

PrimeNumber

I have to say, am/fm/8track/23CB is pretty darned retro-cool. THAT is a combo not seen since the mid-70's, something that'll never come around again. OK, maybe for good reason, but truly a one of a kind find. Congratulations!

BrettL

Them 148's are the better of Cobra Radios. The 29 was my favorite when I did CB. You can make that thing swing like SSB on AM. I use to have the better mobile in my county and several surrounding counties. No one could beat it not even my 29 alone. It was my antenna set up that got the job done. I also had more amps than a lot of them. I also have the am/fm/cb radio to.

About 7 years ago I was given CB base amps and mobile amps. All sorts of CB radios. Rotor boxes. Tons of accessories. It was from a widowed Lady. I mentioned to one of my friends about radios and she over heard me and gave it all to me for free. I offered her a few hundred dollars to be somewhat nice. She got aggravated and told me her husband loved the radio hobby and she thought of me when she heard me say that and seen the fancy homemade antenna ontop of my pick up. So I once made a good find too. Cheers!

Just to add, I do stop by and check on her every so often to see if I can be of any help or if she needs anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.