Help in programming APRS for Calgary Regional ARES

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Hey!

I'm plotting out on my computer critical infrastructure so if any ARES group is dispatched, we can put up on APRS.fi, and send to HAMS in the field where the closest Hospital, Police or Fire hall is.

Does anyone happen to have a lat/long list of where each fire hall is located?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I would also use the Google solution.. And I feel the need to mention, make sure the objects are transmitted via RF, as well as APRSIS..

I know it seems like a no-brainer, but I've seen guys complain they can't see their objects while mobile.. And when I ask if they can hit the local digi, they say "I'm not on RF".

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I used to have them as query objects in my APRS-IS32 configuration. This makes them available to those who need them but doesn't pollute the local map with clutter 24/7 (something I wish certain objects in the local Calgary area took consideration of).

Of course, I've since moved to a new computer and didn't bother to rebuild those objects. I may still have the data; if not, I can get the positions for almost everything we'd need. Give me a bit to investigate.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I have a version from 2012 that looks to be ready to import into the APRS-IS32 XML config files. It needs some updating (for example it doesn't have CFD 41 nor AHS 41) which I'll work on over the next few days.

If you're not familiar with query objects, read the page I linked in the post above. I'm happy to maintain either my home station (VE6SRT) or my firehall (VE6RWM) as a QRU server, since I run APRS-IS32 on both of them 24/7.

Right now I only have AMBU, FIRE, and HOSP objects (and as I said above the list is incomplete). TM, either on the forum or off, let me know what other objects you'd like included.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I would also use the Google solution.. And I feel the need to mention, make sure the objects are transmitted via RF, as well as APRSIS..

I know it seems like a no-brainer, but I've seen guys complain they can't see their objects while mobile.. And when I ask if they can hit the local digi, they say "I'm not on RF".

I agree with this. There are far too many distractions in my vehicle already, that I don't want to add a computer screen or other display. Once stationary it might be OK. But a hard copy of a map would help. I would like to download them to a GPS if required as well. Being totally computer illiterate, I have to keep things simple [KISS].

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
First and foremost, thanks for all of your assistance so far. The reason I'm asking for the Lat/Long is because instead of entering them in via the crosshair way that's default in APRSIS32 you can just code them and build it into the data file. (MUCH FASTER)

If anyone has them in an spreadsheet that can be downloaded it would be AMAZING!

I agree with this. There are far too many distractions in my vehicle already, that I don't want to add a computer screen or other display. Once stationary it might be OK. But a hard copy of a map would help. I would like to download them to a GPS if required as well. Being totally computer illiterate, I have to keep things simple [KISS].

So, the entire idea is to have these programmed into 2 Toughbooks that can be connected via TNC's to radios. Only in an emergency will the selected sites be broadcast via -IS and -RF. (Fire, Police, Hospitals, EOC's, Evacuation Centers, Reception Centers, and other critical information)

For an emergency, ARES will have deploy-able trackers to track either our units, or units requested by served agencies. For anyone who will take a look on APRS.fi, or from a radio/TNC with a laptop, or GPS we can set up where the LZ's are, Command Posts, Staging areas, and where damage is being reported (Closed / washed out roads) By having all the information coded into the APRSIS32 file / directory it turns APRSIS32 into a decent powered GIS system. (If I could only download all of the tiles at all zoom levels to store onto the computer to use offline)

Calgary Regional ARES is going to be working with CPS and other agencies so on the same maps we can put up where road blocks are, and all sorts of information during the event or deployment (and if it's all in a small area we only need to have a WIDE2-1 setting). This way it will digi-peat to one site, then (with luck) to an igate. This should allow for what's happening in North Calgary not flood all of Southern Alberta.

We can also set up maps and print them for Search and Rescue, or allow investigators to know what areas have been covered and what hasn't. (In this situation we would keep it on a separate freq, but having 1 tough book link to the internet to create an igate and then a special event where we are running APRS does not flood the everyday user.

Calgary Regional ARES is looking to provide robust services, to all local agencies who can use them. Work collaboratively with other groups, and individual users. and give back to the community. Not come in and "Take over" and be inconsiderate during times of practice, or non-emergency

On a side note, if anyone would like to help us our, please visit CalgaryRegionalARES.ca where you can Join as a member, you can send me an e-mail (or a DM on here works too) or you can donate to our group that's now a registered charity!

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Try this.

That's EXACTLY what i'm looking for! (the actual address would be nice too, so it can be added to the comments for people just reading the text.

I have all of the Police Stations entered, And now with the CFD Fire stations, all I need is Hospitals, and to fill in the rest of our response area (Airdrie, Cochrane,Chestermere, MD Big Horn, Kananaskis, Rockyview County. I need their Fire, EMS, Police, Hospitals and EOC if published.

Thanks for all of the help so far! when I have this all done, I will upload all of the information in code, with instructions on how to add it to your copy of APRSIS. (If only APRSIS32 would allow you to import Garmin POI's...)

I will also try to build a Garmin file to populate into any Garmin GPS with a few Repeater Sites (and info) as well for not only our membership, but for everyone helping us out!

Of course, I've since moved to a new computer and didn't bother to rebuild those objects. I may still have the data; if not, I can get the positions for almost everything we'd need. Give me a bit to investigate.

Jay, If you still have the entire APRSIS folder, please zip it, and e-mail it to me. I can dig into code there.

I have a version from 2012 that looks to be ready to import into the APRS-IS32 XML config files. It needs some updating (for example it doesn't have CFD 41 nor AHS 41) which I'll work on over the next few days.

If you're not familiar with query objects, read the page I linked in the post above. I'm happy to maintain either my home station (VE6SRT) or my firehall (VE6RWM) as a QRU server, since I run APRS-IS32 on both of them 24/7.

Right now I only have AMBU, FIRE, and HOSP objects (and as I said above the list is incomplete). TM, either on the forum or off, let me know what other objects you'd like included.

I appreciate the offer of being able to access your computers as servers, but this is going to be for the potential of no internet use. I also need to contact OpenSourceMaps to get all of the files for Alberta so both can run offline, like what will happen during Calgary Regional ARES when we help out with the Tour for Kids going through the Mountain Park. or if infrastructure fails.

Jay, Call me next week and we can build the objects up, share the outcome, you can host on a server for anyone to access, and I will have it offline for ARES use.

Status
Not open for further replies.