Using freescan to change programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9vet

Premium Subscriber
After I download my 396XT's programming using Freescan and after I make changes, edit freqs, etc how do I SAVE those changes back to the scanner itself? When I tried to reupload, I somehow uploaded several duplicate systems! Please clarify. Also, please email me direct to k9vet@rcn.com
Thanks! Scott

toastycookies

under the pulldown menu Scanner > Upload Programming or CTRL + U is how I do it.
I am new to this software as well, but that has always worked for me.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you select the "erase all systems and settings" button (next to the red text) when you do the upload.

k9vet

Premium Subscriber
Suppose I edit the name of a downloaded frequency and want to save the new name back into the 396. How do I choose the proper thing to upload without inadvertently uploading duplicate systems and unnecessary stuff? I must be doing something wrong in the uploading process.

k9vet

Premium Subscriber
Dave, you are the guy I must have been looking for! Did you notice that I am in North Hampton? Maybe we are neighbors! Anyway, I think what you said is right but it is never explained in any of the Freescan
instructions. Someone should write a much more complete pdf about Freescan.
Do you know of any other free programming software out there?
Scott

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Scott, I kinda take exception to that statement. Click on Help / Online Help from within FreeScan and see where you are sent.

As to other free software, there is, of course, ID Tracker...Mike

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Dave, you are the guy I must have been looking for! Did you notice that I am in North Hampton? Maybe we are neighbors! Anyway, I think what you said is right but it is never explained in any of the Freescan
instructions. Someone should write a much more complete pdf about Freescan.
Do you know of any other free programming software out there?
Scott

We aren't too far apart. I haven't tried any other software for my 996, as all I have in range is conventional analog and P25 it does everything I need it to do.

Freescan Upload - The RadioReference Wiki

The above link explains uploading. I always to a full erase unless I'm only changing a single entry or two.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You can also use the REPLACE option, but there is a caveat - the spelling and caps all count. FS looks for an exact match on the name - in other words, BALTIMORE COUNTY is not the same as Baltimore County.

If FS finds even the slightest difference, the different system will be added as a new system

Mike

marksmith

I always start each upload by clicking the erase all systems button. This erases everything on the radio so that when your upload completes you hsve exactly what you had in Freescan. It takes a few more minutes to upload but irs worth it. It also makes sure the systems are in alpha order on the scanner.

Mark
536HP/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT
996T/396XT(2)/PSR800/PRO668

Blackink

I always start each upload by clicking the erase all systems button. This erases everything on the radio so that when your upload completes you have exactly what you had in Freescan. It takes a few more minutes to upload but it's worth it. It also makes sure the systems are in alpha order on the scanner.

Mark
536HP/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT
996T/396XT(2)/PSR800/PRO668

I completely agree with the above statement. That is how I upload my frequencies into FreeScan everytime.
Even if I just made a couple of corrections to a file or added a couple of frequencies to a Group, I start with "Erase All Systems & Settings" first.

Then I upload all the Systems I have created. Might take some extra time but it's always accurate when I'm done-no duplicates, no errors, just smooth scanning!!!

Scott, I'm also the person who sent you the email with the attached Word document. Hope that helped.

k9vet

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all of you who responded to this thread! It is nice to know that you are out there if needed!

Scott W1GLY

Status
Not open for further replies.