436HP serial/mass storage prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roveer

436HP serial/mass storage prompt in car installation

I'm trying to plan installing my 436hp in my car and it seems like there is an annoying issue. I would want the scanner to power on and off with the car and would feed it accessory power which would go on and off with the car. I would then remove the batteries. The scanner seems to power on when I reapply power but each time I get the annoying serial/mass storage prompt. Is there any way to eliminate this? Seems to be the only thing in the way of giving me what I want

Roveer

Last edited:

Roveer

I have a 536. I just didn't want to have to put a 600 dollar scanner in the car that can't go mobile. The 436 makes more sense for what I'm trying to do. I just need to work around this one issue.

Roveer

Last edited:

kd7eir

Unless you plan to write your own firmware, there is no way around the prompt.

Also, not having batteries in while turning the power on and off with the car is pretty much guaranteed to eventually corrupt your sd card. I recommend that you invest in several and make copies of your programming on them to keep replacing them, as they will get corrupted.

This also happens with the 536 if you turn the power off other than via the power switch.

Voyager

I posted a theoretical mod that would allow a 536 to be controlled by the ignition, yet be safely powered-up and powered-down. That involves one relay and running a wire or re-routing one internally. I can only hope that Uniden might use that and write into the firmware the mod, as all the hardware exists for it to be a firmware-only mod.

It would not solve the 436 issue, but it would solve any 536 issues short of disconnection of the main power source while the scanner is still on (but how many people disconnect the battery with the ignition on?).

Of course, right now Uniden is busy with other projects, so upgrades have to take a back seat.

kd7eir

I posted a theoretical mod that would allow a 536 to be controlled by the ignition, yet be safely powered-up and powered-down. That involves one relay and running a wire or re-routing one internally. I can only hope that Uniden might use that and write into the firmware the mod, as all the hardware exists for it to be a firmware-only mod.

It would not solve the 436 issue, but it would solve any 536 issues short of disconnection of the main power source while the scanner is still on (but how many people disconnect the battery with the ignition on?).

Of course, right now Uniden is busy with other projects, so upgrades have to take a back seat.

I'm confused, you say "or re-routing one internally" and then state that it's a firmware-only mod. Which is it? Firmware does NOT re-route wires.

Roveer

Unless you plan to write your own firmware, there is no way around the prompt.

Also, not having batteries in while turning the power on and off with the car is pretty much guaranteed to eventually corrupt your sd card. I recommend that you invest in several and make copies of your programming on them to keep replacing them, as they will get corrupted.

This also happens with the 536 if you turn the power off other than via the power switch.

Ahhh...

So these scanners (both the 536 & 436) have absolutely no place in the installed car space. Not unless you want to commit to turning them on and off following a certain criteria as to avoid corrupting the SD card. I get it now...

I guess I'll just install my Pro 106 in my car and call it a day. Unfortunately I won't have FTO which was a feature I really wanted to have.

Roveer

PhillyPhoto

It's not that big of a deal - turn the power off with the power switch.

Then why were we sold on ad-hoc mode to use the siren app to then store the scanner safely out of reach? You can't have it both ways.

Cars today are being designed with less and less free space in the dash to install a full DIN size piece of extra equipment. And not everyone wants to buy a car to fit their scanners.

Triangulum

Then why were we sold on ad-hoc mode to use the siren app to then store the scanner safely out of reach? You can't have it both ways.

To be fair, manually controlling the scanner through an app to eliminate reaching or to help make sure the scanner is in a secure position doesn't really negate the idea of manually turning it off before turning the car off if someone is having a problem.

Example: I've seen videos and images of the 536 in a secure position in front of the left side of the passenger seat (near where the legs would be). Obviously, the app allows someone to control the scanner without reaching over, in front or down. But if its being advised to manually power off the scanner, then it doesn't make the app abilities irrelevant or hypocritical.

I understand your point though. Manually powering it off reduces convenience.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Time to think outside the box. :) Get yourself a small rechargable 12v battery and wire that up between the accessory power and the scanner - voila, instant UPS for the scanner. Now you can plug it in and leave it on, even with the car off and you won't get the prompt unless you unplug your scanner and plug it back in.

-AZ

PhillyPhoto

To be fair, manually controlling the scanner through an app to eliminate reaching or to help make sure the scanner is in a secure position doesn't really negate the idea of manually turning it off before turning the car off if someone is having a problem.

Example: I've seen videos and images of the 536 in a secure position in front of the left side of the passenger seat (near where the legs would be). Obviously, the app allows someone to control the scanner without reaching over, in front or down. But if its being advised to manually power off the scanner, then it doesn't make the app abilities irrelevant or hypocritical.

I understand your point though. Manually powering it off reduces convenience.

I have a Dodge Charger. I would never drill in to the side of my dash to mount a scanner (or anything else frankly). I have used mounts from ProClip USA and they have worked great, but passengers have hit them with their legs. My idea mounting location is under the front seats, or even better, in my trunk compartment. I wish Uniden would have finally gotten their act together and included an ingition-sense cable if they were going to go the write-to-SD-card on shut down route. They have a cable to adjust the brightness automatically, it wouldn't be that difficult to include one more.

My other issue is using a phone/tablet in a car. Many states have banned their use while driving. Trying to explain to a cop that all you were doing was controlling a scanner (with all the agencies going encrypted and not wanting people to listen) isn't going to help your cause I don't think.

See below for a shot of the type of dash I have. The only real space I have is below the climate control, but only for a remote head.

2014_dodge_charger_dashboard.jpg

Voyager

I'm confused, you say "or re-routing one internally" and then state that it's a firmware-only mod. Which is it? Firmware does NOT re-route wires.

OK. I'll clarify: (or try to)

The CPU is what ultimately controls the power state of the scanner.

My mod is a hardware mod that uses the existing firmware, but alters the input to the CPU via the hardware mod. In essence, it tricks the CPU. My hardware mod is necessary since I can't modify the firmware myself. Specifically, you would run a line (or hijack the dim line) and route it to a relay which simulates the turning off of the power switch (breaks the line).

The better solution is to update the firmware so it does everything internally, as all the hardware inputs exist. So, the shutdown can be initiated by re-assigning the dim input to an ignition sense line, and have the CPU (firmware) initiate the shutdown on loss of ignition voltage with no internal mods.

Make sense now?

WQPW689

PhillyPhoto;2366891 My other issue is using a phone/tablet in a car. Many states have banned their use while driving. Trying to explain to a cop that all you were doing was controlling a scanner (with all the agencies going encrypted and not wanting people to listen) isn't going to help your cause I don't think. [IMG said:
http://static.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/images/Auto/izmo/362150/2014_dodge_charger_dashboard.jpg[/IMG]

No state bans the use of hands-free cell phones that I know of. It's hand held use that is a violation.

I use those Proclip mounts also and they're great.

I don't see any more violation by using a mounted hands free phone as a scanner head than I would as a GPS (which I do all the time).

EDIT: sorry about the quotes mess. It fights me every time.

Last edited:

Roveer

WOW Wow wow... We are 30 years into this hobby and we are actually still having this conversation? This is really disappointing on Uniden's part. 30 years of product design and innovation and we have LOST the ability to do the simplest things.

Happy to see their are fanboys there saying "just turn it off at the unit, what's the big deal". As several have posted, that doesn't work when it's under a seat, in the back, or in a trunk. 30 years my friends.

Shame shame, no awards to these products. You chased the kooky features and forgot about what is important.

So far, I can't read the display on my 436HP because you wanted to keep the display price under what seems like 1 dollar and I can't install either 436hp or 536hp in my car, even know you supplied me with a wiring harness because you didn't bother to design it for interrupted power which is the right way to control it in an automotive installation.

Fail on both accounts. 30 years guys. where did you get lost? Fortunately for you most of your competition is chasing the same silly things you are so they aren't doing much butter, but a few bright guys in a room would eat your lunch. Let's see what the kids can do. But we won't because this is a very niche product who's popularity is probably declining. I wish you well.

Roveer

Triangulum

Responses to PhillyPhoto and Rover:

My other issue is using a phone/tablet in a car. Many states have banned their use while driving. Trying to explain to a cop that all you were doing was controlling a scanner (with all the agencies going encrypted and not wanting people to listen) isn't going to help your cause I don't think.

PhillyPhoto, I can't say I disagree. But you said, "Then why were we sold on ad-hoc mode to use the siren app to then store the scanner safely out of reach? You can't have it both ways." I was addressing how its not hypocrisy and you were the one who introduced using an app to control the scanner.

Happy to see their are fanboys there saying "just turn it off at the unit, what's the big deal". As several have posted, that doesn't work when it's under a seat, in the back, or in a trunk. 30 years my friends.

This is just a response to refute the idea that if someone suggests manually turning it off then that makes them a fanboy. First let me say if there is not some kind of work-around in the near future by Uniden then this is definitely something to be learned from and improved upon. And indeed short-sighted considering the punishment might be a corrupted card. But....

Unless you are using an app to control the scanner, how could you effectively control the device if it was anywhere but somewhere in reach? So for most people, its going to be in reach. This is assuming you actually want to control the scanner in any way. So if its somewhere in reach, it not a major issue to manually turn off the power unless you are running into burning buildings. Inconvenient, sure.

I do agree that for those who planned on putting their scanner in the trunk that this is a major inconvenience. Its certainly not ideal. But lets have some context and perspective.... and lets not exaggerate circumstances just to fuel negativity.

Corrupting a card is no laughing matter, especially while on the road. But if humans are as intelligent as you would like them to be, then after a little negative reinforcement they should be able to direct their attention. ;)

Last edited:

Roveer

Corrupting a card is no laughing matter, especially while on the road. But if humans are as intelligent as you would like them to be, then after a little negative reinforcement they should be able to direct their attention. ;)

30 years of building products and your saying we should train ourselves to overcome the product shortcomings. And you don't want me to be negative. C'mon. Your directing attention away from the real problem here. The products are extremely under designed for where we should be in their evolution. Hate to be negative would love to be here reporting on how great my experience has been, but that's just not the truth. Can't do the one and only thing I wanted to do and always could do.

Now, that being said. Let's turn positive. Several have replied in another thread saying they just installed their 536's in their trucks, put the power on switched circuit and haven't had a problem. No corruption...

So, that being said. I'm willing to take the same chance with my 436HP. All Uniden has to do is to make a simple firmware update to give us an option to ignore this menu when powering on or maybe a 20 second timeout?. So for those who want that menu (when actually using those functions) it will appear, and for those who want to bypass because they are switching power it won't appear. Can be an easy setting in the menu. Probably take the firmware guys 3 hours or less and that would allow anyone who wants to put their 436 on a switched power to ability to do so. Then we can be just like the 536HP car install guys. Living on a prayer, with an extra SD card in their glovebox. Oops, i went negative again. Sorry

How about it Uniden...

Roveer

Status
Not open for further replies.