LAPD and Phase 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I don’t know if this topic has been addressed previously, and forgive me if it has, but I haven’t been able to find anything pertaining to whether or not LAPD has any plans in the immediate future (within the next 5 years) to move to a Phase 2 system. I want to buy a new scanner and the answer to this will determine which scanner I buy. I’d hate to buy an “older” scanner if the switch will happen a year from now. Other than the Phase 2 issue, there is NO difference between the Home Patrol 1 and Home Patrol 2 (other than the use of USB power on the HP2) and the BCD996XT and the new BCD996HP2.

kma371

QRT
I think anything phase II is a little premature at this point. I plan on waiting.

Aero125

The future of LAPD radio lies within the LA-RICS plan which will be P-25 Phase II. The LMR (voice radio) portion of LA-RICS is discussed at length in other forum topics. In a nutshell it won't be implemented anytime soon and the current LAPD system therefore will be in use for a few years at least. There is no hurry to go buy a new Phase II scanner soon if you intend to listen to LAPD. Ny the time they get LA-RICS going the current models will be much cheaper and most likely newer models will have been introduced.

dgower

Premium Subscriber
Also it's important to remember there is no such thing as Phase 1 or Phase 2 in the conventional digital world, so if they stay conventional digital, it's a non-issue.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
I don’t know if this topic has been addressed previously, and forgive me if it has, but I haven’t been able to find anything pertaining to whether or not LAPD has any plans in the immediate future (within the next 5 years) to move to a Phase 2 system. I want to buy a new scanner and the answer to this will determine which scanner I buy. I’d hate to buy an “older” scanner if the switch will happen a year from now. Other than the Phase 2 issue, there is NO difference between the Home Patrol 1 and Home Patrol 2 (other than the use of USB power on the HP2) and the BCD996XT and the new BCD996HP2.

probably go encrypt first before PII that's my take :lol:

karldotcom

Well, LAPD has a long history of being "in the clear" and "open" - I can imagine the outcry if they locked everyone out, esp the media.

In answer to the question, LAPD and LAFDs future is tied to LA-RICS as of right now.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Well, LAPD has a long history of being "in the clear" and "open" - I can imagine the outcry if they locked everyone out, esp the media.

In answer to the question, LAPD and LAFDs future is tied to LA-RICS as of right now.

well good thing I cleaned out on 668's locally just in case it does go LARICS

dgower

Premium Subscriber
A lot has happened since that article, and the suspension only applied to the LTE (4g data) part of the project, not the LMR (voice) part.

Radio_Lady

True, as in supporting LA-RICS; you should see all the LA-RICS equipment at the VCDC, and County/RICS people in and out of there working on it. The plan remains, though, for both the PD and FD is to remain in their current frequencies and modes for day-to-day operations, but to have instant access to the system as needed for mutual aid and interop needs.

karldotcom

So LAPD would patch to whatever talkgroups? I guess I always assumed LAPD would get new TGs mirroring the current channel lineup.

Radio_Lady

So LAPD would patch to whatever talkgroups?
That's pretty much what I would guess, based on what they've been saying for quite a while. Everything I know I've learned second hand, some from reliable people though.

I guess I always assumed LAPD would get new TGs mirroring the current channel lineup.
Unless they were to go to a trunked system internally, I would be very surprised if they would duplicate all of their conventional channels as TGs, even though it wouldn't use nearly as many frequencies most of the time. Everything is firmly etched in yogurt for LA-RICS right now, of course, and prior to that becoming the hot topic, LAPD was prepared to stay conventional and probably in the clear.

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Also it's important to remember there is no such thing as Phase 1 or Phase 2 in the conventional digital world, so if they stay conventional digital, it's a non-issue.

I thought that everything that is NOT Phase 2… is Phase 1. Is that not the case?

My main interest is in being able to listen to LAPD. I don’t know if any other agency or department anywhere in Southern California is Phase 2 at this time. How do I find out for sure? I’ve looked here in RR and can find NOTHING that tells me who, if any, is on 1 or 2.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Go to Databases at the top of this RR website, it will lead to a map of the US, press on Calif, then LA County, and you will see all systems listed. Most P25 in LA/OC is phase 1, including the LAPD and LA ICIS and OC CCCS trunk systems There are a few Phase II coming on line, but nor particularly active yet. They include LA RICS P25, LA CWIRS P25, and So. Cal Edison P25. These abbreviations are fully explained in the RR database. Riverside also has a P25 Phase II system.
For the most part, you will have no problem monitoring most things with a phase I P25 digital scanner. However, for anyone in the market for a new scanner, I would strongly recommend a phase II capable scanner. Phase 2 is coming, and in some areas like Las Vegas, where many of us go, there is quite a bit of phase II. There are many phase II scanners currently available.

hitechRadio

Not true, Phase1 covers both Conventional and Trunking. Phase2 covers Trunking and a few other things not relevant to this conversation. If a user on a P2 Trunked system falls back to non-Trunked P25 simplex conventional they will using P1 Conventional.
The reason for this is there is no repeater to provide the timing needed for P2 TDMA.

I thought that everything that is NOT Phase 2… is Phase 1. Is that not the case?

My main interest is in being able to listen to LAPD. I don’t know if any other agency or department anywhere in Southern California is Phase 2 at this time. How do I find out for sure? I’ve looked here in RR and can find NOTHING that tells me who, if any, is on 1 or 2.

Hope I answered your question. Basically if it is P25 it will be either phase 1 or 2.

Aero125

The bottom line is the LAPD will remain P25 Phase 1 for the foreseeable future. There is no evidence of planning or funding for a new system or all new radios and its level of participation with LA-RICS is still an open book. There are 2 other extensive threads on LA-RICS with all the latest testing and info/news.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I thought LA-RICS was for an additional county-wide interop/mutual aid system, not a system to take over the radios systems in the county.

LA-RICS will be the future system for LASD and LACoFD along with theoretically all the member cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.