CHP encrypted channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emoney250

I heard on my BCD536HD the other day on 773.2937 audio which is IDENTICAL to the encrypted stuff I hear on Redding Police (Shasta County) Tactical 2. Am I correct in assuming that CHP now has the option to encrypt transmissions on their P25 700 extendars?

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
I'm a little perplexed at your wording and wondering if some terms are getting swapped around. I know a lot of people think P25 and think "encryption" when it's actually two different things. On an analog receiver, P25 and P25 encrypted both sound the same. On a digital receiver like the BCD536, P25 voice will come across fine but encrypted traffic might make a bit of noise or break squelch, and then it will display ENC on the screen and be silent. There's no way to monitor P25 Encrypted on a scanner. Which makes me question how you're hearing "encrypted" traffic on RPD Tac 2, unless you really meant to say P25.

For CHP Extenders, they are simply an extender, getting handheld traffic repeated over the car radio. So there is no need for encryption on an extender for operational security when it'll simply be retransmitted in the clear on low band or VHF-hi, depending on the use. I can't speak for UHF or Capitol police use, but up here in Shasta County, no. I haven't heard encryption on the extenders out of Redding and Red Bluff office, nor do I recognize any 773.2937 freq up here. Was that a close-call hit you found?

Status
Not open for further replies.