Gwinnett County Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8IAA

Did anyone else notice the announcement over the dispatch at 9 am stating all units go to "Z" Zone then from that point on voice has been audibly encrypted?

Damn, they are! Shades of 2008. Sure hope they don't have to interop with Hall, Forsyth, or DeKalb
Larry

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Yup, I have a scanner up there that I can monitor remotely and heard the same. Last transmission at 9am then nothing. FANTASTIC.

A big shout out to the sleazy radio salesmen, system admins, and leadership in Gwinnett County reading this...

Maybe someone with a budget (like news media) should start requesting radio traffic recordings. Police departments in several areas are dumping body camera programs because they realize how much of a nightmare it is to manage bulk requests.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
A big shout out to the sleazy radio salesmen, system admins, and leadership in Gwinnett County reading this...

It's the county leadership that has a history and culture of secrecy. No surprise, this is the same county who's had not one but TWO county commissioners go to Federal prison for corruption. The current chairwoman has been quoted as saying "What can I say, we are just too darn conservative" when asked why the county refuses to use social media to keep citizens informed of important news and safety events unlike other jurisdictions around the metro area.

Maybe someone with a budget (like news media) should start requesting radio traffic recordings. Police departments in several areas are dumping body camera programs because they realize how much of a nightmare it is to manage bulk requests.

It's been discussed on this forum. Media said nothing in 2008 when the new P25 system went online and everything (including FD) was ADP encrypted. It's 2015, and I don't think anything will change in that regard.

Just another county run by a bunch of corrupt rednecks who don't want the media or citizens listening in.

I am sure this was for "officer safety"...:roll:

I really like what the sheriff in Spokane county, WA had to say about the discussion of the city of Spokane moving towards using encryption of public safety dispatch traffic:

"I and all of the chiefs in the region outside of SPD have met and talked about it and we're very adamant that this is not something that we want to do," said Knezovich.

Spokane Police Department leaders said the change in how the public could hear calls over the radio is something they are considering in an effort to keep officers safe on the job.

"To me it's just, it's not transparent, and if it's really about officer safety, I think there are other ways to go about it," said Hensley.

But then this is Washington state, with a professional leader as a sheriff who doesn't struggle with difficulties from a failed aplexialobotomy.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Attached a recording of the 9am announcement.

(.wav file in the .zip. Cannot attach .wav on its own)

Attachments

• gwinnett fd encrypted.zip
    48.3 KB · Views: 217

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Encrypting Fire comms is one of the stupidest ideas I have heard of. They'll ultimately end up regretting that decision greatly.

rapidcharger

Yup, I have a scanner up there that I can monitor remotely and heard the same.)))
I don't mean to derail the thread but I'm curious as to how you're doing that remotely. What kind of setup ya got if you don't mind me asking?

(((
Maybe someone with a budget (like news media) should start requesting radio traffic recordings

I'm not news media (I'm sure they'll have their own $pecially issued radio if they don't already) but I have made public records requests for encrypted radio traffic before. They will gladly provide them but they do charge accordingly and it can get expensive in a hurry. The requestor(s) will run out of money before they run out of patience with the requests.

Last edited:

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I don't mean to derail the thread but I'm curious as to how you're doing that remotely. What kind of setup ya got if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not news media (I'm sure they'll have their own $pecially issued radio if they don't already) but I have made public records requests for encrypted radio traffic before. They will gladly provide them but they do charge accordingly and it can get expensive in a hurry. The requestor(s) will run out of money before they run out of patience with the requests.

Some jurisdictions may not issue or lease them out at all. Jacksonville, FL SO did at one time but demanded them back after the media aired department critical stories. How convenient! But that's just one example.

There are many companies in the private sector with some sort of interest in clear public safety communications. I only suggested the media because they have not only a budget but they can influence public opinion.

The thing is many do not care or they do care but think there's nothing they can do about it. Rest assured... if any of the major agencies in my area of primary residence went fully encrypted, I would be a VERY squeaky wheel.

To answer your other question I use both Rangecast and Proscan. Both allow remote monitoring and some control of the scanners remotely.

N8IAA

RC, news media has scanners just like the rest of us. I know, I've been at 46 and 5.
Larry

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Encrypting Hospital channels is understandable,

The HIPAA excuse is pure feces.
There is no requirement for encryption of EMS to hospital talkgroups based on HIPAA. It's pure fiction.

PHI should never be transmitted over a radio, encryption or not. Furthermore, HIPAA allows for the disclosure of basic information (patient age, vitals, etc) so long as no PHI is included. EMS does not give names and PHI when calling into the ED for incoming.

If a physician consult is needed, it is done over the telephone.

rapidcharger

fyi.gif
Fun Fact!
Gwinnett County has 5,964 encryption-capable radios in service.
That's 7.8 radios for each sworn officer.
You know... stuff goes missing.

fyi.gif
Fun Fact!
Not only does Gwinnett County use ADP encryption, they also use AES encryption.

The attached file shows the encrypted talkgroups.
The ones that are marked "soon to be ADP"... well... needless to say, soon is now.

Attachments

• encrypted_talkgroups.pdf
    101.4 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Nice find.

What this shows to me is their use of welfare encryption (ADP) is just to made monitoring with a scanner useless. As has been well documented, ADP is pathetically weak encryption, the LMR equivalent of WEP.

OTOH, they are at least smart enough to use FIPS compliant AES-256 for what they should.

Their intention is clear, they do NOT want ANYONE listening. Imagine that.

rapidcharger

Thank you for contacting the Gwinnett County Department of Fire and Emergency Services. Please see the below response in reference to your inquiry concerning radio encryption.

Starting Tuesday, March 31, 2015, Gwinnett County Department of Fire and Emergency Services began using encrypted talk groups on their two-way radio communications channels. The decision to encrypt radio channels was made to ensure the safety of first responders as they operate at dangerous or complex emergency scenes. In order to continue providing up-to-date information, the department’s public information officer (PIO) will be available to both the news media and general public. The PIO can be reached 24/7 by email at fdpio@gwinnettcounty.com. The PIO is notified of all major incidents and will continue to keep the media informed through news alerts, press releases, and media advisories.

Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services strives to serve the community by providing excellent fire protection, emergency medical care, and community risk reduction. The department’s award-winning programs and initiatives are a longstanding benefit to residents and visitors of all ages. Individuals are encouraged to take part in the Citizen Fire Academy to learn more about Gwinnett Fire and Emergency Services’ operations and programs. Additional information about the academy and an application can be found at www.gwinnettfire.org under Citizen Groups.

Respectfully,

Capt. Tommy Rutledge, PIO

I am sure this was for "officer safety"...:roll:

As it turns out....
You were right.

owenbricker

Officer safety? in regards to the firefighter hostage situation they had in 2013, if a crazy wants to kill their first responders they could care less about encryption. their dead regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.