BCT15X, BC780XLT.. opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfxChris

Database Admin
Wondering if anyone has both, and has any thoughts on VHF performance? Long story short, I want something for aero and marine, don't care about milair, UHF or lowband.

Long story, with the new P25 system coming online here, and most public safety moving to it, my BCD996XT (which I usually use for VHF as it performs so well) is going to be pretty much dedicated to that now. GRE's don't work so well for me, their front ends are so hot that a nearby DMR repeater clobbers them completely on VHF, even with a PAR notch filter.

I'm kind of narrowing down to either a BCT15X or a used BC780XLT.
BCT15X because I assume it's reception on VHF is going to be similar to my 996XT which I'm already quite happy with, and 780XLT because I've heard so much good stuff about it on aero.
Some people say they're about equal. Just wondering if anyone has both and can share their opinions? The 780 seems to be a bit hard to find in the used market though, so it may not be worth waiting around if the perceived difference is negligible.

Antenna is a DPD OmniX for now mounted in the attic for now. Plan is to move it outside this spring.

Thanks!

hfxChris

Database Admin
Also..one thing I just realized (after hitting the post button of course).. I've become somewhat dependant on Uniden's DMA structure... not sure I could go back to the old 10 banks... so I guess in that sense the BC780XLT would have to really outperform the BCT15X for me to seek one out. Maybe I've just made up my mind? :)

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I say the 15x as its more similar to the 996XT / more complimentary

If you use freescan you can even program both with the same software/same cable

The 780 will need different software/cable etc

780 is NOT rebanding capable according to the wiki (in case of future upgrades/re-sale value even if your not rebanded now)

780 has 500 channels the 15x has 9000 ! And as said the DMA memory

Unless you can get a steal on the 780 for like $50 id go with a 15x

marksmith

Agree with all the items listed by torontokris. I have a 15x and 780xlt that due to digital have been assigned to various analog functions.

With the exception of digital, the 15x is a 996xt. Everything from the onboard menu system to all the stuff in the previous post will be the same as your 996xt.

I have also found some screen fade on the 780xlt to the extent I don't change it much any more. Its a nice analog radio, but you would find the menu system strange compared to the XT series. Strongly believe the 15x is your better decision considering everything you've mentioned.

Mark
536HP/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT
996T/396XT(2)/PSR800/PRO668

hfxChris

Database Admin
Thanks to the both of you! Like I said I've been quite happy with my 996XT on VHF, so it's good to know the 15X would be a good equivalent in that regard.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
I agree with gtaman above, have both the BCT15 and BCT15x, the 15 is amazing on VHF.

You will be happy with the 15x though, enjoy!.

[Admins note:] Anyone else having the same problem I have? - The more I visit the Forums, the more my bank balance declines.

I had the same question as the OP, read this thread in ernest. Then it appears the BCT15 (non-X) is probably a tad better. Could find only one currently available on the 'Bay. It's kind of beat up, but 100% functional and came with the USB-1 cable. Snagged it.

Status
Not open for further replies.