New to denver

Status
Not open for further replies.

labarr1992

Hey I am new to denver and the whole ham radio age I got a bofeng uv_5r and I was wonder what that frencie and the rctcs is for Arapahoe. Or Denver. Or Englewood. All the listing on here are dark.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
You won't pick up much that you want to hear on a Baofeng UV-5R around here. The agencies you mention are all on digital trunking systems, and you have an analog radio.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
You won't pick up much that you want to hear on a Baofeng UV-5R around here. The agencies you mention are all on digital trunking systems, and you have an analog radio.

The original post seems to be asking for some of the local frequencies that some of the hams hangout on. I'm not involved with any of that, so I don't really have an in depth answer.

We have a Amateur Radio Repeaters in Colorado page on the wiki that may help with getting started and with getting in touch with others who would know more than myself. You should be aware that you likely won't find a repeater located immediately near you which might be concerning, however most of the repeaters are located on the mountains out west and actually provide a large footprint.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Possibly may have been asking about ham frequencies, but CTCSS also applies to old VHF agency systems. The list of locations he provided sounds more like public safety. The repeaters around here aren't really set up to serve small regions like that. Many clubs are up on one of the hills west of town in spite of their 'home' location.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
So are you asking about monitoring public safety, or ham frequencies? Your unit is an analog transceiver, not just a receiver.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Kinda thought so. VHF analog use by agencies around here is rare. Boulder County still does it, and cities like Longmont retain their simulcast abilities, but even those operate simultaneously on DTRS (digital). So to listen to much around here, you'll have to come up with a new radio, I'm afraid.

Second problem: digital is starting to change around here, too. Slowly, everyone will be going to narrower bandwidth digital signals, meaning that eventually, we'll start to see a lot of signals moving to what they call APCO 25 Phase II. 99% of the digital scanners in circulation won't deal with it There are only a bare handful that do now (e.g., Uniden BCD-436HP).

Status
Not open for further replies.